How to: Remove Headlight Assembly 2015 Passat ?

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
Has anyone posted a youtube or thread with pictures about removing the headlight assembly from a 2015 Passat TDI SEL PREMIUM? I plan on changing the small bulbs with this procedure and even the H7's instead of going through the small opening in the wheel well. Might be a lot easier and faster. Thanks.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
There is a how to somethere.... Might be over on the vortex. Headlight comes out pretty easily. If I remember correctly, you remove the top of the grill, and the two metal plated over the headlights, then unbolt them. There is just enough room to wiggle the light out (has to move back to disengage from the bumper cover first). Wrap the edges of the lenses with painters tape, etc. to prevent scratches from the sharp corner of the fender.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It's the same as pre-2015 models. I believe compu_85 provided some information on how to remove the headlight housings in the HID upgrade thread.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
I don't know the "official" answer. I puled the screws, rotated them a bit and pulled them right out the headlight opening in the fender / grille. I did not remove the grille.

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know the "official" answer. I puled the screws, rotated them a bit and pulled them right out the headlight opening in the fender / grille. I did not remove the grille.
Thanks. Good to know. If I get the guts I'll post the procedure.

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
I took a good look at removing the left headlight assembly yesterday. I taped off around the headlight to prevent scratches. I removed the 3 screws holding the top part of the grill. Then I removed the 5 screws holding the plate over the left headlight. There are a couple of washers under the silver screws that will just pop off when you put up pressure with the plate, or use a flat blade small screwdriver under them. I then removed the 2 long screws holding the headlight in. I pushed it back a little and it seemed perfectly loose, except for the electrical connector. I could not see any way to manipulate the assembly to remove it without removing the grill. I pulled the grill loose at the top, exposing the 4 tabs. At this point I felt like I could just pull up and the grill would be removed from the tabs at the bottom. I stopped at this point and put everything back together. There are some good photos posted by bubz0429 on a different forum on how to remove and reinstall the grill.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5643696-How-to-remove-front-grill