How-To: Lower Timing Belt Cover T-Bolt Replacement

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
My '98 AHU has been missing the T-bolt and nut for the lower timing belt cover for as long as I can remember. When I replaced the timing belt most recently, I discovered evidence that the serpentine belt had been rubbing on the cover so decided I should at least try to replace the bolt and nut.

It turns out that replacing the bolt and nut was far easier than I expected, so I thought I'd post my method for anyone else who wants/needs to attempt replacement. As you'll see in the pictures, I was replacing my water pump at the same time (just the impeller, not then entire housing). I believe this method will work without having to mess with the water pump at all.

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
AHU Lower Timing Belt Cover T-Bolt Replacement
You will need the following parts and tools:
  • M6 T-Head Screw
  • M6 Nut
  • Lock washer
  • Short length of small gauge wire
  • Mechanic's pick
  • Long flat head screwdriver

The M6 T-Head screw is VW part number N90053401 - I found it listed online at ECS Tuning (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/t-head-screw/n90053401/).

If you can't be bothered ordering the part and waiting for it to arrive, go by your local ACE hardware and buy a stainless M6 bolt, nut and lock washer. The original T-Head screw is M6x35mm, but my local store didn't carry M6 in 35mm. I bought a 40mm instead, and was actually happy to have the extra 5mm to play with - it doesn't cause any clearance issues, and the extra length makes it easier to work with.

If you choose to buy a bolt from the hardware store instead of ordering online, you *willl* need to modify it to have a T-head. I checked to see if the hex head would fit and it's just not possible.

1. If you bought a standard M6 bolt, grind 2 sides of the hex head to make it a T-head.

2. Put a couple wraps of small gauge wire around the threads near the bolt head. I used a piece of 14 gauge stranded electrical wire that I had sitting around.

3. Use the wire to slip the bolt in behind the water pump and into the hole. It's easy to see what you're doing from under the car.

4. Use the long flat head screwdriver to push the bolt through the hole while you spin the nut on a few turns.

5. Use the mechanic's pick to unwrap the wire from the bolt. I didn't have enough hands to take pictures of the last couple steps, but the end result looks like this.

6. Remove the nut and carefully install the lower cover. You may need to hold the bolt in place with the screwdriver while you do this.

7. Install the lock washer and nut.

That's all there is to it! Grinding the bolt head took most of the time, the rest was less than 5 minutes.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
cool, i tapped mine and put in a helicoil to receive the bolt with the hex cut strait off and green locktight glued it in place. this is a really nice quick fix for anyone doing this job!. thanks!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
This is how I did it with everything installed, back in 2014.

From the link:

I noticed the lower timing belt T-bolt was missing so I ordered some up awhile ago. Well, when I removed the IP, W386 found it.

I decided to use a new one anyway, but now to get it on. It's actually not that difficult and I've done it before but not everyone has access to plastic welding wire, so I wanted to use something everyone may have laying around. I settled on some 10 gauge wire and some shrink tubing.

Snake the wire through from the timing belt side and into the engine bay.

(I switched to black wire because the red wire in the picture was only 12 gauge and the shrink tubing didn't stay on it).

Then peel back the insulation on the wire and attach the shrink tubing to the wire and the T-bolt.

Then pull gently on the wire. When you start to see the shrink tubing, stop and check the alignment from underneath.

Align it by twisting on the wire so it goes up against the housing properly. Then just pull the shrink tubing off it.

It doesn't make a difference if the IP is on or off the car since the wire goes under the bracket to the alternator/AC mount anyway.

So, on to reassembly time.

On to Part III...and this is where it gets interesting.

mStrad

TDI
1.9L TDI AHU
My '98 AHU has been missing the T-bolt and nut for the lower timing belt cover for as long as I can remember. When I replaced the timing belt most recently, I discovered evidence that the serpentine belt had been rubbing on the cover so decided I should at least try to replace the bolt and nut.

It turns out that replacing the bolt and nut was far easier than I expected, so I thought I'd post my method for anyone else who wants/needs to attempt replacement. As you'll see in the pictures, I was replacing my water pump at the same time (just the impeller, not then entire housing). I believe this method will work without having to mess with the water pump at all.
Can someone tell me what is a good torque to screw the nut on the T bolt?

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
I was missing mine for past 10yrs and on last timing belt job (420k ish) i tried fishing a bolt in and i said F this and i ended up just tapping that hole and now its got a bolt. No more worries of the t bolt slipping out.