How to: Lift Pump Fail Safe Fuel Circuit

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
How to: Lift Pump Fail Safe Fuel Circuit

Introduction:
I’ve posted up about this before in a random manner. In two parts, here is all the information, part numbers, and procedures together with pictures. Other threads detail the ‘how to’ and the ‘why of’ installing the PD pump in an ALH car, and won’t be gone into here. Use the advanced search function to find threads with the words ‘lift pump’ in their titles.
Note: This isn’t meant for PD cars, as I don’t know if the PD IP will pull a vacuum at its inlet.

History:
With your fuel filter in good condition, the VE pump will pull approximately 8 to 10” Hg. (negative 4-5 lbs.) suction at its inlet. The PD pump will give you 5-7 lbs. at idle, a difference of 9 to 12 lbs., or thereabouts. But the PD pump is a positive displacement pump and if it stops running for whatever reason, NO fuel can be drawn through it, and your engine stops running. Opps! The solution is to ‘T’ in a second fuel pick-up line with a check valve in it. Under pressure when the pump is running the check valve closes. If the pump stops working with the engine running or attempting to run, the check valve opens and the fuel flows to the IP as it would have in its stock configuration.

Materials:
I sourced materials to be compatible with diesel and bio-diesel, and to be OK to 190º F min. I doubt you’ll see temperatures as high as I’ve allowed for.

The following materials ARE NOT suitable (or particularly suitable) for bio-diesel: brass, bronze, copper, lead, tin, zinc, ethylene polypropylene (EPDM), hypalon, hysunite rubber (Goodyear brand name), neoprene, nitrile (aka Buna-N), non-fluorinated rubber, polyethylene (HDPE), polypropylene, PVC, silicone, tygon, vinyl, polyvinyl.

The following materials ARE suitable (or pretty much suitable) for bio-diesel: acetal (POM) copolymer (watch out for a high enough temperature rating), aluminum, steel, fluorinated polyethylene, fluorinated polypropylene, teflon, fluorosilicone, kynar, nylon (temp range varies from 200º F to 270º F -- if you don’t know, assume the lowest temp rating), polyurethane (watch out for low temp rating – max temp will be 165º F to 180º F – if you don’t know, assume the lowest temp rating), viton, viton B (fluoroelastomer aka FKM).

What you are doing:
You’re just ‘Tee’ing in a 2nd line with a check valve in between the pump outlet tube and the barb it goes to on the underside of the top of the fuel assembly. The end of your new line just goes down into the bottom of the well assembly so that it's always in a supply of fuel. So much for the simplicity of it – let me give you a walk through.

Parts and where you get them:
Here are the parts you need, they come more or less from two sources – McMaster Carr, and Cole Parmer Co., and yes I know that the barbs in the pump are 5/16”, but bear with me, please. If you have other sources, post it up here, or PM me and I'll add them:

Tubing – 2 feet of thin wall (3/8” OD, 1/4” ID, 1/16” thick) ‘firm’ Viton tubing, part #5119 K861 from McMaster Carr . Click on the link, then type in ‘Viton tubing’; you’ll find it. I chose green so that when I find pieces later in my garage I'll recall that I am looking at Viton and not some incompatible grade of rubber as listed above. You won’t need the full 2’ – but DON’T order too little. For one thing, if you look the pictures of the completed modification, you'll see that the line can not loop too tightly, or it will kink. I didn’t buy it from Cole Parmer because they don’t sell it in short lengths.

Check valve – this has a nylon body with a fluorosilicone diaphragm, and is 1/4" barb – it is also available from McMaster Carr , part #47245K27. FWIW, you can also get it at Cole-Parmer: part #EW-98553-02, Nylon Check Valve, 1/4" ID.

'T' fitting, nylon – 1/4” x 1/4” x 1/4”. After buying a 10 pack of 5/16” x ¼” reducing ‘T’s from Cole-Parmer, I discovered that a straight 1/4" 'T' fitting was shorter in overall length, and would work better. I think McMaster Carr has them, but I’m not sure and couldn’t find a receipt for them. On their website, search pages 136 thru 139 for a starting point. Warning, warning, warning: 1) I like multi-barb better than single barb because they provide more friction and because as you will see below, I cut them shorter to fit the space limitations. 2) You want nylon for temperature and compatibility reasons. DON’T buy common polyethylene or polypropylene fittings that are easily available. You'll regret it.

Here is a photo of the three parts you need:

Check valve, 'T' fitting, random lengths of Viton tubing I had laying around.

Crazy Dave’s (DOK to you) stock PD pump that we previously installed in his 2001 ALH:

You’ll see two yellowish convoluted lines, the bigger is the line out of the pump, and the one we’ll have to replace (as you can’t just cut it and ‘T’ into it). It appears to be acetal copolymer. That’s not real important to you – I just like using big words that I don’t completely understand. The small line is the pick-up line that feeds the pump.

Lay the lift pump down on your workbench and remove the 4 Torx screws so that you can gain better access to the Oetiker clamps on the fuel line that you’re going to remove.

The two halves are apart and I’m prying open one of the Oetiker clamps so that I can pull it off.

Lift pump tools of death and destruction with the two destroyed Oetiker clamps.

From top to bottom, left to right: long nose pliers, long nose pliers, screwdriver, nail pulling pliers, screwdriver, and 2 dead Oetiker clamps. The nail pulling pliers killed the top Oetiker clamp (the one you can get to – you’ll see when you do it) in literally seconds – a trick I learned from the guys at the local hydraulic shop.

Here you see one end of the fuel line. It will slice easily with your sharp Exacto knife.

3 to 5 gentle slices lengthwise towards the barb and in a few more seconds you’ll have it tweaked off.

A gratuitous photo of the two parts of the pump separated. I’m about to attack the remaining Oetiker clamp.

Here I am cutting the barbed 1 /4” nylon ‘T’ I’ll be using.

For your dining and dancing pleasure, here’s the ‘T’ partially cut to illustrate what I’m up to.

The other two legs are cut in the same manner before it is used.

Continued . . .

Last edited:

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Continued . . .

The lift pump has had the 4 Torx screws put back in, and is ready for the new Viton line.

For your visual clarity, here I’m holding in place the line assembly I’m about to install.

Notice the ‘T’ fitting has been trimmed, notice the check valve is in place (black to the top of the pump), notice on the left side of the photo that the end of the Viton that will be in the fuel well has been notched slightly so that it can always pick up fuel. You’ll see which end of the check valve goes where when you test one by blowing into, or sucking on, one end.

Here is a completed view of the finished lift pump. Notice that the Viton line curves around.

This will move easily out of the way for re-installation. If you pull it too tight (short) you will see that it will kink. You don’t want that. Notice that NO clamps are needed on the Viton line – it will seal and hold pressure just fine whether it goes over a 1/4” or a 5/16” barb.

Here is a second view from a different angle of the finished modification.

I’ve enhanced some of the colors and contrast in the foregoing photos to help make the parts in question stand out better. Please forgive the skewed color pallet . . .

Want to get to know Crazy Dave better? This isn’t him, but I’ll swear to you that it’s his Doppelganger, and that in a dark alley or a wild bar or a Hollywood Babylon party you wouldn’t know the difference. Talks like that, too: http://www.sniffpetrol.com/category/crazy-dave/

Al

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Thank you very informative. You could make a kit and sell it.

I think this would be a great mod for us folks who have pumpe duses, as well, because our lift pumps do fail and I think the engine may continue to run if the lift pump were to fail on a PD, if this mod were installed. There is an additional "tandem" pump on the cylinder head of the PD TDI that generates vacuum and is a fuel feed pump for the injectors. This should provide enough suction if the fuel is already flowing, I bet.

My lift pump failed on day without warning and the engine just quit and I had to coast off of the road. I would not like to think about what would happen if my lift pump were to fail again and I were on some highway with no shoulders and Jersey barriers on both sides. That could be downright dangerous.

--Nate

KROUT

persona non grata
Nice job. But with this done and your lift pump fails you wont even know it quit working on an alh engine.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Hey Al,

Very good mod indeed! I have worried that if the lift pump fails in a hard pull at high rpms, it will quickly kill a pump with fuel starvation (needed for lubrication).

This mod will still enable you to get home in the event of a pump failure ;-)

The only thing that worries me is a sloppy gtg installation with incorrect materials, hose, clamps, etc. can fill up emails regarding poor performance.

I had a customer with a glass-barrel fuse holder that would stretch when the motor torqued up due to inproperly routing the wire (too tight). His motor quickly died every time he really cranked on it - cuz the wire would pull the nub away from the fuse inside the fuse holder (against the spring) and open the circuit to his lift pump relay (from the cutoff valve 12v supply). I always recommend the new style fuse holders ;-) and a good loose routing of the wire. Just like the vaccum hose that feeds the y on the firewall always gets yanked out with a new tuning that rocks the motor too much.

Jeff

dok - did you get your pump problems sorted out?

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
So, will the first person to try this on a PD give it the "acid test" by pulling the fuse to the lift pump while the engine is running?

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
NIcely done Al....I did one about a week and a half ago using your materials list. Worked excellent. I have all the pumps set up that way now.....just have to do the ones in my tanks......

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
mrchill said:
NIcely done Al....I did one about a week and a half ago using your materials list. Worked excellent. I have all the pumps set up that way now.....just have to do the ones in my tanks......
Chris -- I was thinking about doing this 'How To' for a long time, and your PM came just a day before Dave was specifically coming over to do this, so I thought 'maybe it's time to take pictures and post up' . . .

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Does anyone know if the P-D's will keep running if the in-tank pump is bypassed? If you know one way or the other, post up here. If this is a viable work-around for the seemingly failure-prone Mk4 P-D in-tank pumps, this is worthy of a link in the "How To's" thread in TDI 101.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Ya. When Al showed me this last year, I quick bought enough kits, hose, and check valves to do mine and 4 others.... :) Brilliant.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Cousin Al,
Great piece of work. I'm ordering the parts tomorrow.

Thanks for the write-up.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Buggers! Last month, I ordered some 5/16ths green viton to do my fuel
hoses up front; man, wouldn't you know it, they'd use a smaller
i.d. hose for the lift pump.

Excellent job! I had assumed, the operative word, that should the
pump ever fail....ha ha on me.

OLIVER! Another task for when I show up...I can see his eyes
glaze over when he thinks about all he has to do in two days (or less) AND
now I add this on top...not that it's hard for him...for fumble-fingered
me....another story.

Very nice writeup!

THANKS,

Lonnie

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Great DIY Al,

I did this to my pump with your help and it's happily working with my 2003 ALH.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Left Coast Resident said:
...the PD pump is a positive displacement pump and if it stops running for whatever reason, NO fuel can be drawn through it...
I did not read much of the thread, but I had a PD lift pump fail and the car still ran fine for the most part, I did get some air bubbles in my fuel line to the IP though. Mine was one of the early versions that were prone to failure, I'm not sure if they are different than the later more reliable ones. EDIT- or after reading go-fasters comments maybe the newer ones aren't more reliable.

FWIW, I replaced it with a walbro pump, its 1/3rd the cost and IMO more durable.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

I can't find the receipt, so I don't know if I ordered the 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4" 'T' shown in the photo below from McMaster Carr or Cole Parmer, but let me emphasize again that I prefer the ones with the 4 barbs on them -- you can trim them to size to fit the confines you will confront within the pump. It's like when you look at the engine and you say 'plenty of room, what could go wrong with my idea here' -- and then you find you can't even get your hand into that HUGE space. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Sooty Steve -- Lobsters on you next time I'm in your neck of the restaurant woods.

Al

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Left Coast Resident said:
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

I can't find the receipt, so I don't know if I ordered the 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4" 'T' shown in the photo below from McMaster Carr or Cole Parmer, but let me emphasize again that I prefer the ones with the 4 barbs on them -- you can trim them to size to fit the confines you will confront within the pump. It's like when you look at the engine and you say 'plenty of room, what could go wrong with my idea here' -- and then you find you can't even get your hand into that HUGE space. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Sooty Steve -- Lobsters on you next time I'm in your neck of the restaurant woods.

Al
Cousin Al,
Lobsters on me for sure...How many are you good for at a sitting? I have an old friend who can eat 10+ at a sitting, that's about the cost of a new turbo, so if your a BIG eater I may have to put the 5-lobster limit in place:D

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
silverbox said:
Jack it says it cycles only when fuel is demanded , how does that work practicaly?
Great, it has an electro magnet that compresses a spring, when that spring expands it pressurizes the fuel, if no fuel is moving then the pump draws no power as the spring is pressurizing the fuel, but since the spring never "bottoms out" the electro magnet never fires to recompress the spring to compress more fuel. No air bubbles in the fuel line ever and full filter media utilization.

It does have a >18,000 hour service life too, at an average of 50 MPH thats 900,000 miles of driving.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
While double checking my PD lift pump again in attempts to solve my shutter problem, I thought I'd try a couple things. First while the engine was running, I unplugged the connector from the pump and the engine kept running (idling) for ~5 minutes just fine. I left it unplugged, shut off the engine, it re-started just fine. I plugged the pump back in and got out the pressure gauge and measured the pressure at the injection pump at it holds a steady 6 psi at idle and drops down to 3-4 psi when revved up

So I unplugged it again, went out and drove to the parts store (8 miles, city driving), no issues. Came out from the parts store and it was hard to start, had to give it some throttle and once it started it ran just fine, drove 8 miles home, shut it off. Went to re-start it again, and it was hard to start, but some throttle brought it around and once it fired it ran just fine again.

Unfortuantely it didn't change my shutter at all :( but if my lift pump suddenly dies going down the road, it seems to me that the engine is very likely to just keep on running. Only thing I'd notice (100% power not withstanding, didn't check this, but didn't notice it being low on power, but I was at 50% throttle max) is that it's a little harder to start.

So - am I just the oddball case where it works for me or has someone else had their PD lift pump fail on them in an ALH engine and it wouldn't run? Mine has NOT been modified in any way, out of the VW box and into the car.

Left Coast Resident - Excellent, well detailed procedure on how to do this, but, is it necessary?