How to inspect PD cam and lifters

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
whitedog said:
Remember that only the lifters were replaced the first time and cam and lifters should always be replaced together due to the wear pattern.
yeah, maybe on the PD engine.

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Oliver is there any other cams to be used in the bRM other than OEM that will be better to use? Sorry I know this is a old thread!

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
Cams and bearings can be found only on original manufacture . Only camshaft and camplifter can be found on other brand's offer .

Last edited:

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
dukku said:
Cams and bearings can be found only on original manufacture . Only camshaft and camplifter can be found on other brand's offer .
So are the Cams and bearings a repeated replacement part?

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
I am confused ... what is a cam? If you are talking about camshaft.. I first changed camlifters and keept the old camshaft . In 20 000 km had to replce again the camlifters cause they turned like old ones . So i changed camshaft too and since then everything is OK .
My advice is to spend extra 300 $ on a AE camshaft or 600$ for a original camshaft .Always replace bearings for the camshaft .

P.S.
for non-english speakers is hard to understand some words... have mercy on us and be more explicit folks .:)

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
I have mounted the new camshaft(AE-federal mogul) +
camshaft bearings (la schalle - original parts) +
camlifters (INA )
in january .
Until today I have driven about 30 000 km .My car is over 400.000 km and first camlifter change was at 360 000 km ( somwhere around that milage).

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Nice to hear your problems ended when you replaced camshaft and lifters at the same time. BTW, what oil are you using? 5w30 or 5w40?

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
Most of the time it was Aral 505.01 5-w40 oil . Betwen 300 to 400 000 km I used valvoline 5-w40 505.01 . Last 2 oil-changes I used Aral again . Las time it was 3 weeks ago .
I have noticed that engine starts smoother with valoline but I get an oil consumption of allmost 2 liters / 15000 km. When I use Aral the oil consumption drops down at 1.2-1.5 liter/15000 km .

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
It seems that it's better to stick with 5w40 oil in these engines...
Have in mind that your oil consumpion depends on time your car spends in idle.

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
Hehe... seesms like I am going verry offtopic but I will write down my opinion :
I guess youare right.
It is possibile to vary the oil consumption depending on the time spent in idle.