How to improve the TDI - Sound (sounds like a tractor!)

Viper

How could I make my TDI sound better?
I already have built in an air-filter (not direct, is not allowed in Austria!) but the improvement of the sound is not really noticable. Maybe a little bit.

Does an exhaust has any effect? If yes, which ones?

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
How about replacing your Gloria Estefan
CD's with Metalica? Only kidding-actually, I have never heard a good sounding diesel, I believe the turbocharger has a lot to do with muting some of the exhaust noise, so a special exhaust system may do little to help.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
"Never heard a good sounding diesel"?

The TDI engine idling is music to my ears!

And the Ford F250/F350/F450/F550 with it's V8 "Power Stroke" diesel sounds very FORD TOUGH!

James

Sorry guys, but I must agree with Viper and Woochow. I've had my TDi for about 3 weeks now and still mourne the loss of the straight six sound of my'89 BMW325i (petrol). The sweet resonance when hitting the power band at 3.5 to 6k rpm just made you want to put your right foot down and the superb handling forgave attacking any corner at ridiculous speed. I miss that adrenaline rush.
On 2 occassions since having the Vento, I've approached corners that reminded me of the pleasures of the BMW; and 'wellied' the VW! The noise is bland and leaves me with an empty feeling. The power I can live with. However, I just say to myself, "James, you're getting over 50mpg. Be sensible! over time, you'll grow to like the sound."
Never the less, I've purchased gasmatic shocks so as to enjoy the occassional fast bend and avoid sea sickness!
As I mentioned, I hope that soon I too will grow to love the sound of a tractor; like the Diesel-head I aspire to be!

------------------

S

SkyPup

James, you could drill a few one inch holes in the bottom one half of your air box and remove the sound insulation from the engine cover to hear the diesel "at work" better. Also, a more open exhaust system is available for a deeper truck like sound. My TDI howls through the gears, it's better to be able to listen to the engine in order to recognize when something is beginning to go wrong audibly.

------------------
99 JETTA TDI WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 NB TDI
97 KTM P-D SUPER THUMPER

M

mickey

Play an audio tape of a Harley Davidson while you drive.

-mickey

Viper

Do you guys know, if the Wetterauer Tuning Chip has an effect on the engine sound ???

Skypup, do you think to make some holes into the airbox is better than remove it completely and install an direct-air-filter (K&N or Jamex) instead of it?

Can anybody recommend me some manufacturer who's making good exhausts for TDI's ???
Which is better, "Remus" or "Sebring"?

One further comment to the Diesel-Sound: Two friends of mine, the one has an Opel Calibra 4x4 and the other one an BMW 320i. The sound of these two is owerwhelming. When the BMW is passing nearby parking cars, all the car-security-installations begin to beep. Just cool !!!

Thanks!

- TRACTOR POWER -

S

SkyPup

Viper, the Wett Chip makes a noticeable decrease in engine noise, I don't know if it is associated with the injection pressure, timing or what but it is quieter and also starts alot quicker.
The K&N is prefered to the airbox airhole routine, the best is the K&N with the fresh air inlet routed over and around the K&N. The rush of intake air is a pleasant addition to letting you know your diesel is at work, otherwise it is so quiet you can hardly hear it.
From what I gain, there are a few different exhausts available, here is a good one www.autotech.com/new.htm

------------------
98 NB TDI
97 KTM P-D SUPER THUMPER

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
Skypup,

How can your TDI "start alot quicker" when they start instantly to begin with???

Also, what the deal with engine noise? As soon as you exceed about 3 MPH, you really can't hear the engine!

------------------

cage

Top Post Dawg
I love the sound of the TDI. I never owned a diesel in my life and believe me it was tons and tons of reading that convinced me to buy one. (I have a 98 beetle TDI) Everyone said "don't get a diesel." I even heard that "diesels aren't good in 4 cyl." I first ordered my car with the 2.0 gas engine but the more I read and thought about it the more I wanted to have a diesel. I finally test drove a jetta TDI just to see if I could live with the noise and it was fine.I also had the knowledge that the new beetle chasis is much quieter than the old style golf/jetta so the engine would be even quieter in the beetle. Now that I have mine I love it. I love the fact that people are amazed that it has a diesel. At red lights people look at the car and then me then the car then me and finally pop the question "Is that thing a diesel?" I wouldn't want it to sound any other way. Maybe alittle louder outside the car to catch even more attention!

M

mickey

I like to call attention to the fact that the poor sap I just passed is following a diesel! The sound is just right. More smoke would be nice, too. And I'm considering a license plate that reads STNKBUG or PUFF or something similar, just to further rub it in.

-mickey

James

In response to Mickey's comments, I wonder if there are any bumper stickers out there with; "the car in front is a diesel"
or "eat soot, Mutha" or
"You've just been burned by a tractor" ...etc,...........

------------------

S

SkyPup

Ric, I have a Wett TDI JEtta and a stock (but soon to be Wett) NB TDI. My wife first drove the Jetta with the chip in it last week and her comments were, "I want you to do whatever you did to your Jetta, it starts so much quicker and has alot more power than mine." This coming from someone who's only mechanical knowledge is where to put the key in the ignition, in fact, I won't let her fill up her car alone, since she always first grabs the gas pump instead of diese.
Anyhow, I do notice an improvement in starting in normal ambient weather and temperature conditions, particulary first thing in the morning after an overnight sitting. The Chipped TDI starts immediately, the non-chipped takes a little more time. It is no big deal, but easily noticable.

------------------
98 NB TDI
97 KTM P-D SUPER THUMPER

Viper

Hi!
I´ve asked my dealer for an K&N direct filter kit for my TDI, but there is nothing for an TDI. The only thing I could by instead, is an J&R -kit, but I've heard this is not so good as K&N.

But, the dealer said, I could install an VR6-filter. Then we tryed this, but there is an metal-connection-part (in german: Flansch)which is oval, and the VR6-part looks more similar to a rectangle.

Anybody, of you guys know something positive about this J&R direct air kit ???

Sooty

Veteran Member
K & N will be releasing a 57i kit for the Golf TDI in about a months time - at least in the UK.

I was passing their R & D site the other day and popped in to ask if they had got around to making one yet. They said that where waiting for a donor vehicle, mine is booked in next week for them to play with. At least I’ll get it free!

------------------