How to identify pump sprocket bolts

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Hello, I don't normally work on TDI's and when I did my timing belt on my ALH I replaced the pump bolts that can be reused.

We have an ALH 1.9 that is new to us getting the head replaced. The owner has no idea if the pump bolts have been updated. Unfortunately, it's been so long I can't visually identify them.

I tried searching, but came back with too many hits. Anyone able to point me to a thread that shows the difference? I was hoping to get the belt back on today, but may just order new bolts, but that does delay the job.

thank you. Mark

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Thanks, Tapered at the head? Not sure what that means. The pump sprocket slots are pretty beat, so I'm going to replace the sprocket and the bolts as a set. Thank you though. Mark

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The original TTY bolts have only a short shaft for the elongation to happen, so it is a smaller diameter than current reusable bolts. In addition, this short part has no threads. The bolt that has threads completely up the shaft to the head is the reusable one. Hopefully this description is adequate; I have no photos to use for comparison.

Cheers,

PH

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
IIRC, my Bentley Service Manual has a pic of the TTY vs. non TTY bolts. It would take me a while to find it.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
This engine was adapted to a strictly mechanical pump recently. The slots in the sprocket where you would adjust the timing are so hammered that I decided to not reuse the sprocket. Ordering new sprocket and bolts today.

Either someone was making multiple attempts to set the pump timing or at some point the sprocket was loose. Either way, I don't want the next shop that looks at it to think I left something loose.

I looked in my Bentley manual, but it's on CD and is a very early version and I did not find the bolt image you reference, but do remember seeing the image at one point long ago somewhere. Thanks to those that posted.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Thanks, Tapered at the head? Not sure what that means. The pump sprocket slots are pretty beat, so I'm going to replace the sprocket and the bolts as a set. Thank you though. Mark
Do not loosen the center nut on the pump.
If you do the 'plate' will have to be re-timed for the car to run right.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Page 23-19 show the above photo as a diagram with the same info: Version A is the TTY bolt with a chamfer on the shaft and a pointed end; Version B has no chamfer and a flat end which is the reusable bolt.