How to Get Rid of Horn Beep (When Locking Car)?

m_skena

Veteran Member
TDI
Not Any More!
I noticed the change in alarm horn confirmation recently, between year models. How and where is the change made in VCDS? I'm curious.
Jason
I don't know - it happened unintentionally. The only changes that I made was to activate the windows from key FOB and this change was there after the fact. The tech did a lot of exploring as I also was trying to get the hazards to activate w/ the ABS system, but he couldn't find it, so maybe he did something in there.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
...I also was trying to get the hazards to activate w/ the ABS system, but he couldn't find it, so maybe he did something in there.
A bit off topic, but to continue the thread:

I enabled the turn signals to flash when ABS is active. The system does work, but only when you rapidly slam on the brakes. If you depress the pedal progressively harder and harder to finally activate ABS, the emergency flashing will not occur.

I once had to slam the brakes in an emergency to avoid hitting a deer. That extremely rapid application of the brakes did activate the flashers. The flashers stopped upon my releasing the brake pedal.

In VCDS, if you have a 2009 or newer, select the "09 - Central Electronics" control module. Then select long coding, go to byte 16 and check bit 1 or 2 to turn on emergency brake flashing via "Brake Lights" or "Turn Signals" (hazard lights), depending on what you want.

The image above is from myturbodiesel.com

Last edited:

Haupia

TDI
2013 Golf 2DR, Blue Graphite, DSG, Dynaudio, HIDs, Sunroof
Just checked my '10 Golf and there is no ATA in the MFD. The dealer said mine can't be turned off. Too bad. I don't like the noise.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Just checked my '10 Golf and there is no ATA in the MFD. The dealer said mine can't be turned off. Too bad. I don't like the noise.
I'm pretty sure that your dealer is wrong. It can be turned off by the dealer (if they bother to learn how) or by anyone who has VCDS (Vag-Com). Find someone in your area with VCDS and offer them a beer (or whatever their weakness is) and they can do it in five minutes or less.

Have Fun!

Don

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Yeah, VW decided to move it and it took us a few hours of messing around before figuring out were it moved to. It was a little obscure.

Jason

grporter

TDI
2012 2-door Golf MT
My '12 has the dealer installed alarm as opposed to the factory installed alarm, so I was told this is why the Convenience menu is different. The dealer was able to turn off the honk and enable the window control via key fob. it was done during my 90-day check up, so maybe they were just trying to impress me? It worked!
Since then I have picked up a VCDS to use for myself or for local members, but my buddy has it for his '02 and won't give it back! I'm glad to help anyone around Sacramento, CA if they need access to a VCDS.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
BTW, VW removed the alarm from several new models. The only thing the honk is there for is a audio cue that you locked the car. You still have to have the alarm retrofitted - install a hood latch with switch and go online with Germany to do something (not sure if change settings or install new software but 09 Central Electrics is involved). Still no interior monitoring or towing protection.

Jason

diesel_maniac

TDI
2003, 2005.5, 2014
Get rid of beep when locking

If you do a controller scan for your car, you can see a list of what's available for your particular model. VCDS shows everything once you go into "Select", but that doesn't necessarily mean it exists for your car. For example, my 2014 Jetta TDI doesn't have the Comfort / Convenience controller (shows "no response to controller").

Instead, it has under Electronics 1, something called 09 Cent. Elect. Within that, under the Advanced Functions group on the right, there is something called Adaptation - 10. Keep drilling down, the next menu that comes up has at the very top a pull down list, whose default is "Documented adaptation channels can be selected here."

This is where the change is made. I picked "Central locking: Audible Locking Confirmation." from the pull down list. The screen that then pops up also has a path shown, "VCDS Release 14.10.0:09-Cent. Elect., Adaptation" and the Channel you would be on would be channel 11. 09:10:11 is the address, in other words.

Like most things computer, it's a zero to turn off, and a one to turn on. If you hover over "New value" field, a balloon will pop up that will tell you for sure what zero or one means for the particular address. Anyway, I set it at zero, saved it, came back out, and now no more obnoxious horn whenever I shut it off. (I also shut off the light show that is also a default; personal preference!). But you need to look at the original scan to get an idea how it is set up for your particular car; probably not the same as my 2014 TDI.

Is there a way to turn off the annoying horn beeping when locking the car with the electronic key?
It would be nice for just the lights to flash to confirm the lock.
Thanks!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Thats nuts about all the excuses from your dealer. They should have known about ATA settings in the MFD.
Agreed. I guess it is illegal to defeat the ATA confirm. I'd better reactivate the horn confirm and annoy my neighbors, and ongoing classes at school when I drive to work :rolleyes:

It is so funny what comes out of the mouths of a dealership flunky "illegal". Sure.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
If you do a controller scan for your car, you can see a list of what's available for your particular model. VCDS shows everything once you go into "Select", but that doesn't necessarily mean it exists for your car. For example, my 2014 Jetta TDI doesn't have the Comfort / Convenience controller (shows "no response to controller").

Instead, it has under Electronics 1, something called 09 Cent. Elect. Within that, under the Advanced Functions group on the right, there is something called Adaptation - 10. Keep drilling down, the next menu that comes up has at the very top a pull down list, whose default is "Documented adaptation channels can be selected here."

This is where the change is made. I picked "Central locking: Audible Locking Confirmation." from the pull down list. The screen that then pops up also has a path shown, "VCDS Release 14.10.0:09-Cent. Elect., Adaptation" and the Channel you would be on would be channel 11. 09:10:11 is the address, in other words.

Like most things computer, it's a zero to turn off, and a one to turn on. If you hover over "New value" field, a balloon will pop up that will tell you for sure what zero or one means for the particular address. Anyway, I set it at zero, saved it, came back out, and now no more obnoxious horn whenever I shut it off. (I also shut off the light show that is also a default; personal preference!). But you need to look at the original scan to get an idea how it is set up for your particular car; probably not the same as my 2014 TDI.
I followed your instructions but channel 11 is not available to change the setting on my 2014 golf.

CarlosF

TDI
2010 GSW TDI DSG Blue Graphite
Unfortunately, I find it common these days that I walk in knowing more about a product than the people selling or repairing them. Sometimes it's just basic information. The lack of professionalism is discouraging.
What bothered me more was their lack of interest in even looking into the matter, as I don't expect anybody to know everything. They might have made a call or two and gotten an answer. But I got the feeling that they had no interest in solving my problem, only avoiding the work.
Seems that they are used to people accepting their excuses and not calling them on their nonsense. When I politely asked what law they were referencing, all of a sudden they got quiet and then changed their story.
One excuse is as good as another, I suppose.
Making things up is just lame. Just say, "I don't know but will look into it." I'm okay with that. Don't try to BS me and give me crap information.
For the service rates charged by VW, I would think they would greet me with white lab coats and a can do attitude.
And here I thought that my experience was unique. I've come to expect incompetence and am very rarely disappointed. Although, at least one technician at Kendall VW in Anchorage knows what he's doing. I've found that if you can bypass the service advisor and speak directly with management, most of the time you'll have a more positive experience.

screwyluie

TDI
2014 Jetta
for anyone who finds this in google like I did... on my '14 jetta there's no MFD so no ATA option... but a cheap odbii and carista worked like a charm