How to fix code P240F - Slow EGR Response?

Griffin3

TDI
2012 Jetta sedan
Hi everyone,

I have a CEL with the code P240F. Every thread on here with that code, the advice is "go to the dealer and fix it under warranty." I could not find any advice on how to fix it yourself. Any help is appreciated.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, as if it matters post-Dieselgate, but there was a software update for this issue, LOL.... TSB about it.

But usually this comes up along with a P2002 and P0401, which is indicative of a cracked DPF. Are your tailpipes sooty?

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Ive heard of this and P2002 coming up together and only replacing the DPF but the EGR code comes back unless the cooler is replaced. Usually if the DPF is cracked, the cooler will start to soot up and well, needs replacing.

Griffin3

TDI
2012 Jetta sedan
Thanks for the info. So just to be clear, I should remove the EGR cooler and see if it’s dirty? I really don’t know what I’m doing, I just look at forum posts and Youtube videos for whatever repair is happening that day

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The EGR cooler on the CJAA engine is a MASSIVE undertaking to get at, I'd take the low pressure tube off first and see what you find there.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Yeah take the low side tube off and you can see the port on the EGR cooler., If there is soot, usually means its gotta be replaced or that fault will most likely keep coming back.