How to drain adblue before refilling?

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
Also wondering how much is left after 10k.

Thinking I could drain it close to empty at each free service so I have a reserve for next paid fill.

Would need to be easy and quick though.

Could save some money if enough is left in there before each fill.

Think I have an old aquarium pump somewhere and some tubing.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Adblue, (DEF Fluid) is very inexpensive. And it lasts a very long time. I cannot see putting in any effort to get old fluid out to save money on a future fill.

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
Going into the 10k service interval with an empty adblue tank should indicate to the dealership that the car is experiencing excessive adblue consumption. An error light would also be set. At the cost of the adblue, it's not worth the slight savings. Besides, there is an apparent shelf life to the adblue.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
..."Much ado about nothing"...too much effort for a few cents worth of adblue...

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I get mine from the local gas station, right from the pump, it is very cheap that way, never pay dealer prices for adblu...

MikeTV

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-TDI 3.6 SE
This guy. Reminds me of the time where I saw someone wait, for about 30 minutes, for their free car wash from the dealer since the porters were all tied up moving cars on a busy weekend.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
This guy. Reminds me of the time where I saw someone wait, for about 30 minutes, for their free car wash from the dealer since the porters were all tied up moving cars on a busy weekend.
For sure. Assuming a dealer car wash is worth about $3, my time is definitely worth more than $6/hr. Especially my precious weekend time.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If the fluid were more than 2 years old I'd use my Pella to suck out the tank. Otherwise I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to simply topping up.

-J

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
May last service they only changed my oil and did not do a regular 10k service to top off the adblue (communication error on my end). The adblue message went on at about 15k miles and warned I could only go another 1500 miles. No need to worry if you top it off every 10k service.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
ADBLUE is a formula composed of deionized water and urea. Urea being dissolved in the water. Unless you somehow have allowed an unusual amount of evaporation to take place any urea crystals will be dissolved in the new solution when you fill the DEF tank.

So... Methinks you might be overthinking. Drive more and worry less.