How to do your buyback calculations (& post them here!)

swampyankee

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
From the long form

"While it is the intention of the parties that any payments made as a result of the Class Action Settlement not be subject to taxation, you should consult a tax professional to assess the specific tax implications of any payment you may receive. For example, if you have used your vehicle for business purposes, previously claimed a depreciation deduction on your vehicle, or receive an amount that exceeds the cost of your vehicle, some or all of your payment may be subject to taxation. "
About the only tax implications I could see.... If the car is a company owned asset, and has been depreciated over the last 3-5 years. The car is then sold back to VW...... There would be a taxable event for the difference between the buyback amount and unamortized balance of the asset (the car in this case).

On a personal level, I don't believe there is a threshold unless I am missing something. People don't take depreciation on a personal auto. If the car is being bought back for more than somebody has paid for the car.... In that case I would check with a tax person. Even on that level I would imagine you could then deduct the operating costs (taxes, interest, insurance, etc...) I can't see a scenario where one would pay.

Another mitigating factor could be if VW 1099's the owners who buy back. As long as you sell back for less than what you paid, you should be OK. There is no true "gain" if you get back less than what you paid for it.

Jogglebot

TDI
MK6 TDI
Yes, I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to cash out my extended warranty (which is typically an option if you read the fine print). Even if I opt for the (maybe someday) fix, that will give me mostly the same coverage as what I paid for. Might as well get 1600 back now.
Good call. I have the powertrain through the dealer. I'll see where I'm at on remaining time. Thanks.

And good info on taxes. Pretty much the same answers I've been getting from everyone with more experience in buying and selling.

Den

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Baltic Green & 2015 Passat SE TDI 6 spd. auto.
So why do both the VW dealers in this area have no idea what they will have to do at this time, just talked to them this Friday?

Playing dumb or have they not been notified as to what to do with us?

Chacko

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
Any car with a title that indicates it was totaled/salvaged/etc. is ineligible for any buyback or compensation.
Not true... Even if your car has a salvage title as long as it wasn't purchased after 9/18/2015 from a salvage yard you are good to still receive the buyback.

Chacko

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
It needs to be reiterated about salvage and other such titles:

S.

Eligible Owner Non-Operable Restitution
” means the monetary compensation
that Defendant will pay to Eligible Owners
under the Settlement Program whose vehicle is
Operable as of the earlier of the date set by
the Court for consumers to opt out of the Class
Action or the Effective Date, but which ceases
to be Operable before the vehicle can be
surrendered for a Buyback or receive an Appr
oved Emissions Modification, specified in the
second column of Attachment 1A.

Operable
” means that the vehicle so descri
bed can be driven under its own 2.0-
liter TDI engine power. A vehicle is not Operab
le if it had a branded title of “Assembled,”
“Dismantled,” “Flood,” “Junk,” “Rebuilt,” “Reco
nstructed,” or “Salvaged” on September 18,
2015, and was acquired by any person or entity
from a junkyard or salvage yard after
September 18, 2015.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
The plan is not finalized yet - it's only at the public-comments stage. The dealers don't really know any more than we do.
Amen to that

50% of the regulars here on TDICLUB surely are better informed than the dealers owners, ~~ and maybe 95% of the dealership floor walkers

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I see a lot of folks adding in options, did I miss something I thought only the pano roof could be added in, my understanding is VW assumes a DSG in the car with the initial number , you minus out for a stick. I have a 11 and that was the way I read it, is it different for different years? I bought my 11 w 12's on the lot because the 11 had rear air bags as a option, they were not offered on the 12.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I see a lot of folks adding in options, did I miss something I thought only the pano roof could be added in
It varies with year, model, and trim level. The only options I've seen available are sunroof, power seats, and nav system, and a deduction for manual trans, but not all cars have all of those available, and there might be other options I haven't run across that still factor into the value for some cars.

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
Not really sure if I did the calculations correctly as with my mileage I came out with a negative number. What is the 1024 number with calculating by months come from?
As it stands with my calculations at the moment.
2015 GSW SE 6speed 7200 mileage
$7193 fix
$28227 buyback.
I will be taking the fix IF I have to fix it. I don't think I do since I live in NC and we do not have diesel emissions. For that money though, I would think about getting it fixed.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My numbers are:
buyback
2010 JSW - $14700
2011 Golf - $21350
fix
2010 JSW - $5100
2011 Golf - $6050
The first calculator in the OP doesn't work for more than one option for the Golf. I couldn't select both auto and sunroof.
I figured it out. You have to hold down the control key to select more than one option.

Last edited:

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
… The first calculator in the OP doesn't work for more than one option for the Golf. I couldn't select both auto and sunroof.
I figured it out. You have to hold down the control key to select more than one option.
Unless you're on a MAC :eek:… then it's the OPTION key. :rolleyes:

d_c_h

TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4 Wagon
The buyback on mine is almost exactly the sticker price I paid - and I got zero percent interest. Not complaining here.

2013 Jetta SportWagen 4D TDI I4 $24,227.00 $6,527.00
Option: No Automatic Trans -$870.00 -$145.00
Option: Power Seat $330.00 $55.00
Option: Navigation System $720.00 $120.00
Option: Power Sunroof $660.00 $110.00
Miles: 0 - 5000
Odometer miles: 13000
Calculation month: October 2016
Mileage Adjustment: -13546
Effective miles: -546
$3,660.00 $610.00
Further Adjustment $0 $0
(Total) $28,727.00 $7,277.00

BlueGruff

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW DSG; 2017 Jetta 1.8T Sedan
The buyback on mine is almost exactly the sticker price I paid - and I got zero percent interest. Not complaining here.

2013 Jetta SportWagen 4D TDI I4 $24,227.00 $6,527.00

Option: No Automatic Trans -$870.00 -$145.00

Option: Power Seat $330.00 $55.00

Option: Navigation System $720.00 $120.00

Option: Power Sunroof $660.00 $110.00

Miles: 0 - 5000

Odometer miles: 13000

Effective miles: -546

$3,660.00 $610.00

Further Adjustment $0 $0

(Total) $28,727.00 $7,277.00

You have a 2013 JSW with only 13,000 miles ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
2010 Golf Hatchback 2D TDI, as sold in NADA region California.

Item Buyback Amount Modification Amount
2010 Golf Hatchback 2D TDI $14,927.00 $4,977.00
Option: Automatic Trans $660.00 $110.00
Option: Power Sunroof $540.00 $90.00
Miles: 35001 - 40000
Odometer miles: 51000
Effective miles: 37454
$2,160.00 $360.00
Further Adjustment $0 $0
(Total) $18,287.00 $5,537.00

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
You have a 2013 JSW with only 13,000 miles ?
Low miles plus NAV/Power Seat//Pano makes a viable difference. ($4230 above my calc's for my 6M.)

Sounds rather fair to this sailor.

ez

arikinthecity

TDI
2013 SE DSG with sunroof
2013 Passat SE with 13K miles

Based on calculator on

https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/

I get $25,700 or $6700 adjustment. I also got the $1000 from VW. So that's not so shabby. I paid $23K for my SE TDI. That's $3700 profit and free use of the car for 3 years. I only put about 10K miles a year on the car. IT would make sense to just keep the car and turn it in around 2018 before this settlement expires. VW may need to provide more compensation if enough people don't turn in their cars by the deadline or if they don't have a resolution to the problem. It would pay to wait a little and see how things develop.

And that's what really doesn't make sense to me. Of all that has been written about this, in most articles, there is just a brief mention of how the TDI would run poorly if it had to run as it does during the test process. There is mention of needing to reduce performance or reduce efficiency. However, I think that VW missed the boat on the options to fix this issue. An option to reduce performance and provide much better mileage is an option for those drivers that don't want that surge in power that we feel with the TDI. Honestly, most drivers of TDI or much faster cars rarely need the maximum torque output for daily driving. In reality, most of us are thinking of hypermiling and driving our cars carefully to squeeze out every additional MPG.

I feel that the surge when I put my foot down is sometimes annoying unless I'm on a very steep incline. I wish there was an economy mode like in the BMW 750iL or even any HONDA that just reduces the power and maxes out efficiency. In those cars the initial push on the pedal provides a gentle acceleration that smoothly brings the car to speed even if it is slow. Following that process, the TDI could be a sluggish very efficient engine 90% of the time on flat roads and at highway speeds 55-65MPH, and the bypass of emissions could be activated as it was originally intended for emergency vehicles during short bursts. It wouldn't take much to program the ECU to allow brief accelleration times of 10 seconds to give the car full power and then automatically put it back in efficient mode again.

I understand this would be far from ideal for most TDI owners that want all the power and efficiency but lets face it, there are trade offs with many things. For my part, I think VW management were simply idiots for getting themselves to this place and allowing the defeat software to be implemented in this manner. They then continued to drop the ball by not proactively admitting this to the government a few years in advance and work on the solution thus adding billions of dollars in additional costs.

Finally, they continue by not providing a solution a full year after the problem was discovered. What they failed to realize is that the majority of VW Diesel owners are people that didn't buy the car for the clean environmental benefits that they advertised. Most wanted the strength and endurance of the VW diesel, the high resale value, and great mileage. I suggest that most of us TDI owners would put up with reduced power, torque, accelleration, "fun factor" just to have a reliable TDI that gave good mileage, reliable performance and lower TCO.

TO all those that may disagree with me, I truly do understand your side of the this and can empathize with the anger towards VW.

Respectfully submitted to my fellow TDI owners.

matty-matt

TDI
2014 Passat TDI manual
2014 Passat SE valuation

2014 Passat SE with 6-speed, currently 39,345 miles.

$27,077 - $960 (manual deduct) = $26,117.

10 months from September to now @ 1042/mo = 10,420.

current mileage 39,435 - 10,420 = adjusted mileage 28,925.

$26,117 - mileage adjustment $0 = $26,117.

projected monthly mileage to stay consistent.

Paid $26,xxx plus tax for it new, so no complaints here!

FloridaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG - sold to VW
The plan is not finalized yet - it's only at the public-comments stage. The dealers don't really know any more than we do.
It's not even at "public comments" stage yet. It is at "court review" stage. Keep in mind that the court didn't see any of this until we did. After the court reviews it and gives it tentative approval, then the public comments stage begins. It's possible the court could reject the proposal and make everyone go back and start over again. Unlikely, but it could happen.

DownByTheRiver

TDI
2012 passat
I sold my car in December. I realize I get half of the restitution payment.

What if the new owner puts 100k miles on it? What if the car gets wrecked? Am I left holding the bag even though it's been out of my hands for months?

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I sold my car in December. I realize I get half of the restitution payment.
What if the new owner puts 100k miles on it? What if the car gets wrecked? Am I left holding the bag even though it's been out of my hands for months?
You get paid no matter what, no mileage adjustment. Just remember to file a claim within 45 days.

You are entitled to:
50% of the amount specified in the second column of Attachment
1A for the Eligible Seller’s Eligible Vehicle

DownByTheRiver

TDI
2012 passat
You get paid no matter what, no mileage adjustment. Just remember to file a claim within 45 days.
Excellent, thanks. While I sold the car for less than it was worth, I feel that this makes me whole. If they follow through, I'll probably even buy a PD as a beater/daily to rest my Duramax.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
It's not even at "public comments" stage yet. It is at "court review" stage. Keep in mind that the court didn't see any of this until we did. After the court reviews it and gives it tentative approval, then the public comments stage begins. It's possible the court could reject the proposal and make everyone go back and start over again. Unlikely, but it could happen.
The Court is acting as a referee here, not a participant to the negotiations.
If the attorneys came in saying they wanted the $15b for themselves but customers get nothing, that'd be a reason to send them back to the table. But the judge isn't going to reject a settlement simply because he doesn't like the terms even though the litigants do.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My take is that the deal is pretty much done and that comments received will just be associated with open ended issues or things that were not addressed completely. I doubt that the tentative plan will see any wholesale change. All interested parties (EPA, VW, FTC et.al.) were pretty much satisfied with the draft plan so that should go a long way in getting this done in a timely fashion.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
No, public comment stage started the day everything was published and runs 30 days. Although I did see one comment about it running a week longer due to needing to be published in the federal register.

bristolvw

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
No, public comment stage started the day everything was published and runs 30 days. Although I did see one comment about it running a week longer due to needing to be published in the federal register.
The comment period is open on the DOJ Consent Order right now. The public comment period on the proposed class action settlement, which details the buyback program, will be after the judge grants preliminary approval. We will receive notice in the mail on how to make public comments on the proposed settlement