How to do your buyback calculations (& post them here!)

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I hate to tell you this, but I would guess that the Judge and others have more than this case to handle.
And nothing will happen for owners of cars until the snow flies anyway!
So, what's you big hurry? Car on fire? :p
If I have to wait until the snow flies in Los Angeles I'll never sell it back. :D

euro16v

TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan, DSG, Sunroof, Navigation (SE Region)
$17087 + $600 (sunroof) + $630 (nav) = $18,317

Currently sitting at 55,050 miles, I expect less than 500 miles over the next 3 months (minimizing driving the car at this point) so figure 55,500 for October 2016 buyback.
So adjusted mileage is:
55,500 - 13,546 (13 months @ 1042 per month) = 41954 miles, that puts me in the +$1,620 mileage adjustment bracket.
$18,317 + $1,620 = $19,937

If I can wait another 3 months until January my adjusted mileage will be:
56,000 (another 500 miles in 3 months) - 16,672 (16 months @ 1042 mo) = 39,328 miles, that puts me in the +$2070 mileage bracket.
$18,317 + $2070 = $20,387

We actually had 2016 GSW TDI on order that was set to be delivered in October 2016 and we were selling our car privately for $17k (would have taken the first offer for $16k). My son is 21 mo now and we definitely need more room than the Jetta sedan has to offer. Not sure what we will replace the Jetta with at this point, we've narrowed the field of replacements down to a Ford Edge or a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel 4x4.

I used the $1000 goodwill money to put a set of 17" Porto wheels with brand new Conti DSW tires. I'm absolutely keeping those wheels/tires and going to put the cheapest set of steelies I can find locally on craigslist on the car when it goes back to VW. I wrote into the courts expressing my dissatisfaction with the "clean trade" value. I've never traded in a car, I always sell privately and that option is near impossible now since VW has ruined the private value of these cars. So selling my wheels/tires privately is the best I can do to make up the difference between private party value and the "clean trade" VW is offering us.

We paid $27,800 out the door for the car in April 2011, so ~$8000 to put 55,00 miles on the car over 5 1/2 years is about $120 a month for just the car alone. Not a bad deal in the end for us. We have to take the buyback as soon as possible as we really need the extra room of whatever will replace it so chances are we will be there on day 1 to take the buyback.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
just for the record

my 2009 JSW DSG

Buyback Modification
$13877 $4802

I have 170k, but for grins will figure just under 180k for adjusted miles (and allow for an extra 13k or so for the Oct 16 example)

-$3480 -$580

would bring the modification to $4222, which means further adjustment of $878.

so the buyback would be

$13877 - $3480 + $878 =11,275 for buyback, or $5100 to accept the modification

so the buyback net value would be $6175.

edmunds runs the current value private party sale at $4717 (clean) or $2924 (average) (truth be told, I have a couple door skins with a few minor issues)

looks like I have a couple years to think about it.

might feel different with 200k on the car.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Well in my case " car on fire " maybe not now but soon, found out I have a cracked DPF about 2 weeks ago and am at 128,000 miles so will need a TB and WP in 2,000 miles, so I am driving with a cracked DPF and more than likely clogging the EGR valve until it effects my engine , so yeah I want to make sure the numbers I think are correct are correct, really struggling to put $3,000 in this car right now having no idea what or if there is a fix. :mad::(

I hate to tell you this, but I would guess that the Judge and others have more than this case to handle.
And nothing will happen for owners of cars until the snow flies anyway!
So, what's you big hurry? Car on fire? :p

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Well in my case " car on fire " maybe not now but soon, found out I have a cracked DPF about 2 weeks ago and am at 128,000 miles so will need a TB and WP in 2,000 miles, so I am driving with a cracked DPF and more than likely clogging the EGR valve until it effects my engine , so yeah I want to make sure the numbers I think are correct are correct, really struggling to put $3,000 in this car right now having no idea what or if there is a fix. :mad::(
Sorry to hear about the DPF/EGR issues. That's gotta be a frustrating situation.

But, companies that get in trouble, whether it's auto related or are getting sued by a class for a different reason, always opt to take the "slow boat to China process" to conserve cash flow and delay to hope the issue fades into less of an impact. And court cases are just that: court cases with lawyers billing as many hours as they can.

PDXA3TDI

TDI
2011 A3
Calculator is online

It's not super intuitive to get there, but you can now enter your vin and mileage, and see your $ amount if you have trouble with the maths. Mine came up right were I calculated, except for the bit of estimated mileage to come that the calculator will add on.

From the TDI owners' sites, below the vin eligibility section that has been there for some time, there is now a section with radio button questions to determine your eligibility. Duh, we know we are eligible... You have to answer those radio button questions, though, to make your way to a window that says you are eligible and finally gives a link to the portal.

https://claims.vwgoa.com/#/case

In the portal, you aren't really finalizing your claim, but you do need to register and add details to get to the calculation part.

Once you activate your account via the confirmation email, you can then enter your VIN and mileage, preferred dealer, and a hypothetical return date

The earliest choice for that is 11/1/2016, but that's just for $ calculation purposes. Once the settlement is fully approved/final, it says you will get some sort of notice on how to set your actual appointment, guaranteed to be within 90 days of that point.

Also, everything in the portal, like choosing which dealer, choosing "I'm interested" in the buyback or the (cough) "fix," can be changed later and does not constitute a claim at this point. (To change between buyback and fix, though, you have to call some phone number.)

My buyback amount is enough that I'm very paranoid about my car getting totaled or having a failure that renders it expensive to get running again. So, I was in a hurry to click "I'm interested" incorrectly thinking that would actually set my ASAP buyback appointment. It might have been possible before I did that, but I did not get a chance to see if the site allows you to fiddle around with different figures for the mileage and/or hypothetical return date (that adds extra estimated miles based on typical drivers).

Like the proposed settlement (unless it has changed during today's tentative approval process) there was no further language on actual condition requirements beyond the lack of salvage title/junk yard history and that it needs to be running/driving. Also still notes they are using TRADE from NADA. There were no fields and no language at all in reference to the many options and accessories we were sold with our lie-on-wheels but that NADA-listed packages did not include.

My final screen with the buyback offer amount had only this footer:

Buybacks are available to Eligible Owners who choose to return their vehicles for payment. The total offer compensates you for your vehicle and the cost of purchasing another vehicle, and it includes two components: 1) your vehicle return amount derived from the September 2015 NADA Used Car Guide Clean Trade including manufacturer-installed options; plus 2) additional restitution, which is the sum of a set percentage of the vehicle return amount and a flat dollar amount.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I went through the process, which is pretty easy, although somewhat over-elaborate, in my opinion*. I set a tentative date for next Summer, about when I figure the powertrain warranty is due to go off, and I may change my mind about that. I am certainly not worried about totalling the car, since in that case the importance of what happens to the people in the car (and this can, of course, be any car) completely overshadows the car itself. I regard what happens to the car in the interim prior to turning it in for buyback to be a marginal risk I'm quite willing to accept, an attractive tradeoff for the additional use I'll get out of a depreciation-proof vehicle.

NB: VW's estimate of my buyback amount corresponded exactly to what I had derived from the various calculators that have been online since the settlement was announced last month.....

Last edited:

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I filled out the form. Hopefully they move on this before 11/1/2016. I have already made my choice and have switched to a different vehicle. I chose the same dealership where I activated the goodwill package.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
............ I chose the same dealership where I activated the goodwill package.
Selling dealership, goodwill package activating dealership, 10k/20k/30k/40k servicing dealership are all the same.

Hopefully by naming this dealership (oldest VW dealership in our state capital area) will offering the best deal on a 1.8 gas turbo GSW/5M!

ez

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
Variance between initial and "official" values?

Anyone run into variance between the projected and proposed buyback #s?

The calculators in this thread and my reading of the proposed framework put the base buyback of a 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus at $37,778 +/- mileage allowance.

When I registered yesterday, they told me $33,xxx. That's a pretty big difference.

I know the 2015 numbers were "preliminary", but WOW!

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
Anyone run into variance between the projected and proposed buyback #s?
The calculators in this thread and my reading of the proposed framework put the base buyback of a 2015 Audi A3 Premium Plus at $37,778 +/- mileage allowance.
When I registered yesterday, they told me $33,xxx. That's a pretty big difference.
I know the 2015 numbers were "preliminary", but WOW!
Initial numbers from the chart where $37,7xx for my 2015 Audi A3 Prem Plus, and my buy back was $34,649 for between 10k-15k miles. I am pretty sure this is because I am only getting 50% restitution. The other 50% is being put in a pot to be divided up at some point.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I filled out the form. Hopefully they move on this before 11/1/2016. <snip>
With a final approval date of Oct. 18th, I don't see how you can hope for that. Most people don't understand how impressive it is, given our legal system and a massive CAS like this (let alone the other complications) that this will have gone from the story breaking to implementation of a settlement in only around 14 months.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
With a final approval date of Oct. 18th, I don't see how you can hope for that. Most people don't understand how impressive it is, given our legal system and a massive CAS like this (let alone the other complications) that this will have gone from the story breaking to implementation of a settlement in only around 14 months.
Thank you Judge :D

Thank you vw -- a little:mad:

Thank you Attorneys --- (HMG) :)

.... BTW, in the beginning my sister thought it would be 2-4 years.

All's well that ends well? :confused:

Pappa Grande

TDI
2015 GSW S 6sp [was 2013 Passat TDI 6sp & was 2002 Golf]
I have what may be a terribly dumb question.

I have a 2013 Passat with 56,000 miles on. Lets say I put all my information in for the buyback today. Now lets assume I put another 15,000 miles on the car between now and whenever I turn it in. Will they do an adjustment on the spot at the dealership for the additional miles? Will the turn in centers be making final adjustments upon turn in?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The mechanism spelled out in the settlement documents is that if the mileage is at or below what's expected, you'll get a check on the spot based on the expected mileage, and another check will be sent within three days for the adjustment if your mileage is lower. If your mileage is higher than expected, a check will me sent within three days for the whole amount. Or, if you elect EFT, you'll get a single EFT within three days for the total.

Pappa Grande

TDI
2015 GSW S 6sp [was 2013 Passat TDI 6sp & was 2002 Golf]
Ah makes sense. Thanks Dan. Does this mean that the mileage will remain in the 5000 mile increments? We all have in incentive to keep it under the next 5000 mile increase, or just keep the care a little longer if you go over....

The mechanism spelled out in the settlement documents is that if the mileage is at or below what's expected, you'll get a check on the spot based on the expected mileage, and another check will be sent within three days for the adjustment if your mileage is lower. If your mileage is higher than expected, a check will me sent within three days for the whole amount. Or, if you elect EFT, you'll get a single EFT within three days for the total.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I haven't seen anything stating that the method of calculating mileage adjustments is going to change.

turboBear

TDI
2013 Golf TDI (sold back to VW 2016/12/28)
Will they do an adjustment on the spot at the dealership for the additional miles? Will the turn in centers be making final adjustments upon turn in?
I would assume so ... everything current is returning "estimated" numbers, and if you go through the full submission the final result includes the estimated buy back value based upon a range of mileage at time of buyout.

If you're higher or lower than that range I would expect the buyout value to change accordingly.

Like Dan said above though, I would not expect the METHOD of computation to change from what has been documented. At the point of actual buy-back I plan to have the final summary printed out and with me, along with something to allow me to cross-check any numbers that are presented to me should they be outside the range of what I expect.

rick43065

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI
2012 Passat SEL $ 21,900 SELLING BACK

2012 Passat SEL TDI

85K Estimate Miles at turn in.

No Loan, Purchased and paid car off.

$15,775
$ 6,141 Additional Restitution

~ $21, 900

Goodbye VW.

Still shocked at how quickly restitution will (most likely) be made considering size and scope of scandal.

Let's not forget this is a significant corporation Cheating: Yet our US EPA wrote ridiculous standards for NOx for passenger cars. Perhaps at the influence of US Car manufacturers who couldn't or didn't want to offer diesels in USA. The "cost" per mile (in fuel + UREA) to lower the NOx (via UREA) makes the advantage of diesel no better than gasoline. Which IMHO is exactly the calculation the EPA/Detroit used to set the NOx levels. Some of our angst should be towards the EPA for this mess.

However, I will take my $21,900 check and purchase gas engine that has significantly more exhaust especially CO and laugh at the entire situation. In the end I will be polluting more than if I drove a diesel and the EPA forced me into this situation.

Our Government at Work.....

Rick

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE SR & Nav
Cost of urea

2012 Passat SEL TDI
85K Estimate Miles at turn in.
No Loan, Purchased and paid car off.
$15,775
$ 6,141 Additional Restitution
~ $21, 900
Goodbye VW.
Still shocked at how quickly restitution will (most likely) be made considering size and scope of scandal.
Let's not forget this is a significant corporation Cheating: Yet our US EPA wrote ridiculous standards for NOx for passenger cars. Perhaps at the influence of US Car manufacturers who couldn't or didn't want to offer diesels in USA. The "cost" per mile (in fuel + UREA) to lower the NOx (via UREA) makes the advantage of diesel no better than gasoline. Which IMHO is exactly the calculation the EPA/Detroit used to set the NOx levels. Some of our angst should be towards the EPA for this mess.
However, I will take my $21,900 check and purchase gas engine that has significantly more exhaust especially CO and laugh at the entire situation. In the end I will be polluting more than if I drove a diesel and the EPA forced me into this situation.
Our Government at Work.....
Rick
According to attached article; urea tank is 5 gallons. Over the counter cost is $20 to $30 for 5 gallons (obviously more if serviced by VW dealer). Article suggest refill every 10,000 miles. Taking into account the price of diesel vs Premium my cost to drive a 20 mpg gasser would double or about $750 more for 10,000 miles.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/10/how-much-does-refilling-the-volkswagen-passat-tdis-urea-cost/

rick43065

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDI
Yes, but after fix will use SIGNIFICANTLY MORE UREA

According to attached article; urea tank is 5 gallons. Over the counter cost is $20 to $30 for 5 gallons (obviously more if serviced by VW dealer). Article suggest refill every 10,000 miles. Taking into account the price of diesel vs Premium my cost to drive a 20 mpg gasser would double or about $750 more for 10,000 miles.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/10/how-much-does-refilling-the-volkswagen-passat-tdis-urea-cost/
Yes, but that is old math. With the new system (post fix) considerably more UREA will be used, perhaps 5x or more? This will also affect regen cycles, so mileage will be decreased. It may also have effect on DPF lifetime, etc, etc.

Also, there are many gassers that achieve 30+ MPG.

Last edited:

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, good points I over looked

Yes, but that is old math. With the new system (post fix) considerably more UREA will be used, perhaps 5x or more? This will also affect regen cycles, so mileage will be decreased. It may also have effect on DPF lifetime, etc, etc.

Also, there are many gassers that achieve 30+ MPG.
Thanks, good points I over looked.

I'm still hoping for another TDI in 2017 or 2018, if not Mercedes E 300 will be available August 2018.

Accord and Camry are presently 25 &35 mpg using Regular gas.

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Mileage is absolutley critical to Buy Back amount

2013 Passat SE with SR/Nav

On the VW questionnaire I put present miles 19,995.

I did not pay attention the the small block that already had 1042 mi. per month. THIS CAN BE CHANGED ON THE INITIAL QUESTIONNAIRE BUT CAN NOT BE REVISED (unless you contact VW Claims 844-982-5246 and then only a supervisor can UNLOCK the questionnaire and let you change your inputs).

If you do want to play around with mileage inputs, after VW Claims unlock, please note that when you hit SUBMIT the system then locks again and you can make no more inputs. So, DO NOT HIT SUBMIT UNTIL YOU ARE DONE EXPERIMENTING.

Leaving the 1042 mi. block as is and my present miles of 19,995 plus 25 months until turn in projected turn (25x 1042=26,050)at 46,045 mi. presents a Buy Back of $27,376.

I revised the monthly projected mi. to 1,000 per month x 25 month or 25,000 plus the present 19,995 mi for a turn in mileage of 44,995.

This resulted in lowering me into the 40,000 to 45,000 bracket and a Buy Back of $28,037 for an improvement of $661 .

Obviously it would be a pity to creep into the next 5,000 block and lose $660.

us244963

TDI
Passat
Initial numbers from the chart where $37,7xx for my 2015 Audi A3 Prem Plus, and my buy back was $34,649 for between 10k-15k miles. I am pretty sure this is because I am only getting 50% restitution. The other 50% is being put in a pot to be divided up at some point.
Hi- I too am seeing a difference in the amount being stated now for buyback from the VW Settlement Website vs. the manual table calculations used prior. 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL PREM with 61K miles current. Calculating manual with the tables shows a base buyback quote of 26,807 and then lets you add $720 for sunroof and $840 for Navigation system. Now it looks like the add-on for sunroof/nav is not allowed under the online website as the price being quoted now to me is exactly $1560 less than manually figured. Sort of bugs me that we get nothing for the extended warrantee purchased either. I am wondering if people wait on this and VW does not get predicted buyback volumes- will they increase their buyback amounts? Have others noticed their amounts are different than manually figured?