How to disable DRLs for good, and for free

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
This "fix" of the B4 daytime running lights in fact only disables the always-on headlights. The tail, parking, and dash illumination lights still turn on with the ignition, regardless of light switch position.

Some suggested a $60+shipping Euro-spec light switch. I spent $0 and about three hours figuring it out (nevermind several days tracking down wiring diagrams and another few days adjusting to VW's "circuit track" style, which I still don't like). If I did it again it'd take less than an hour.

All it takes is removing one spring-loaded jumper from one slider inside the light switch. It's buried deep within the switch and requires some patience and finesse - and a couple of small screwdriver/pick tools - to access and remove.

If you can't gently pry plastic, this job is not for you. Otherwise, read on...

1. Remove and unplug the light switch assembly. Turn it around. You're now looking at this:

2. Pry the six barbs holding the inner switch housing to the outer. Wiggle the inner assembly out, and you will see this:

3. Turn the dimmer wheel all the way up (bright). Take note of how the dimmer wheel intermediate gear is positioned - stare at it and internalize how it works - and remove the wheel and the gear. Then lift the dimmer circuit board clear of the switch, which now looks like this:

4. The blue circles are where the locking barbs hold the switch guts into the switch housing. Pry them while pushing the gut assembly out. The red wheel might fall off; don't worry about it. Behold the guts removed:

5. There's a jumper between two pins on the backside. Lift it out. The blue circles indicate barbs to pry loose in order to separate the two gut halves. There will also be three rivet-like dowel pins holding the two guts halves together. They're best overcome by prying, but to reassemble you'll need to clip the mushroomed tips off. There's plenty more holding the switch together so don't worry about them. Two black sliders and the white foglight slider might fall out. Behold the lower gut half with the three sliders at their respective positions:

6. We're interested in the leftmost slider. There's a bent metal contact that goes from the top (with one contact surface) to the bottom (with two). Remove that contact and its two springs (springs not shown):

7. Reassemble. Make sure the red wheel's grooves engage the black sliders (test it before putting the dimmer board back on), and that the dimmer gears line up correctly. They have arrows for reference.

That's it. The light switch now does what it says instead of being a useless decorative item.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, I'll just put the other switch in. You can find the J suffix switch for $40, sometimes less. Not worth my time to mess with it.

Good information though. Probably not many B4s left here that either don't already have the normal switch installed or the owner does not want the always on lights disabled.

Last edited:

tigers2007

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Sedan (B4)
I thought that all we had to do was disconnect that little single wire plug near the N75 valve? I always wanted to integrate the parking brake warning light to disable the DRL so I could kill the DRL while parked. On a separate note, why do people want to intentionally and permanently disable a safety system? DRL's save countless lives from injury. I am surprised to see the efforts people go to disable DRL - all vehicle brands included. Anyone do the seatbelt and airbag removal mod yet? DRL's prevent accidents caused by others with the concept that "they will see you and not get in your way" etc. Seems to work out great with motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Cool. It only took two replies to get to "why do this?" Every other thread about DRLs take at least five.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Cool. It only took two replies to get to "why do this?" Every other thread about DRLs take at least five.
I hate DRL's, they're annoying and just burn up headlight bulbs faster. I still say it was auto parts manufacturers lobby that got them done to begin with.

Also, if you have a charging system problem DRL's can bring your car down a lot faster by forcing you to run lights that you otherwise don't need and wouldn't run if your alternator was in trouble.

DRLs might sound like a good idea but really unnecessary. It would have been better to implement euro style city lights.

Steve

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
I hate DRL's, they're annoying and just burn up headlight bulbs faster. I still say it was auto parts manufacturers lobby that got them done to begin with.

Also, if you have a charging system problem DRL's can bring your car down a lot faster by forcing you to run lights that you otherwise don't need and wouldn't run if your alternator was in trouble.

DRLs might sound like a good idea but really unnecessary. It would have been better to implement euro style city lights.

Steve
Agree with this^^^^
All three of my A3 have them disabled, all it took was a yellow plug behind the fuse box.
Newer car have them either with LED lights or directional.

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
I thought that all we had to do was disconnect that little single wire plug near the N75 valve?
All that does is disable the always-on headlights. Always-on runninglights and dash lights persist.
On a separate note, why do people want to intentionally and permanently disable a safety system? DRL's save countless lives from injury. I am surprised to see the efforts people go to disable DRL - all vehicle brands included. Anyone do the seatbelt and airbag removal mod yet? DRL's prevent accidents caused by others with the concept that "they will see you and not get in your way" etc. Seems to work out great with motorcycles.
Do you drive a pink car? Because according to Sweden's DOT (equivalent), black cars have the highest accident rate and pink cars the lowest, therefore are the safest. I reckon not, because your (arbitrary) standard of reasonable safety compromise is short of that mark. My arbitrary standard is short of DRLs. If I'm in a situation where I feel the need to be extra-visible, I turn on the headlights. I don't like safety decisions made for me. My car, my control.

As for other drivers, it's never far from the front of my mind that most people are dangerous idiots, and I drive with that constant awareness. It's served me well, and I'm reminded of this about once a week in normal driving and several times each taxi shift (I drive weekend nights).

FMVSS 108 sets the standard for US airbags, which are designed to save the LIFE of an UNBELTED occupant. Read between the lines and you have increased injuries to belted occupants as a result of a desire to protect the dumb. So yes, I disable airbags in all my cars (at least before dual-stage and side bags were introduced, but I've never owned anything that young). I also disable the seatbelt light and any warning buzzers that annoy me. I wear the seatbelt any time the car's moving faster than I can run. I also disabled the traction control system in my BMW, not because I'm a drifter, but because I judged its operation more primitive than my actual driving skills.

Road safety comes from attention first and foremost, visibility (out of the car, past thin airbag-less A-pillars in particular), predictable handling, and driving competence, not gadgets. How long before blind spot warning systems start wearing out and the morons who relied on them for years, instead of their eyes, start sideswiping everybody?

/selfrighteous rant

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
To the OP, thanks for the write up. You took alot of time and effort with it and deserve a hardy pat on the back for your work on the whole project. The huge disagreement about DRLs is just background noise.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Agree with this^^^^
All three of my A3 have them disabled, all it took was a yellow plug behind the fuse box.
Newer car have them either with LED lights or directional.
Yes, on Mk3 unhook the yellow wire and actually it runs down to the lower wiring tray next to driver seat and back. The length is for resistance.

Switch to the euro switch 3 position with fr / rear fogs and I was done.

Steve

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
Yes, on Mk3 unhook the yellow wire and actually it runs down to the lower wiring tray next to driver seat and back. The length is for resistance.

Switch to the euro switch 3 position with fr / rear fogs and I was done.

Steve
Steve would you mind elaborating a bit here. Specifically about the second line. Just looking for a simple way to disable the DRL headlights only. I don't really care about the other lights.

I've also read that you can simply unplug the 173 relay or mess with its pins. Maybe does the same thing as pulling yellow wire? My electrical confidence is low and I don't want to mess something up by accident.

Only objective here is to disable my "always on" headlights. I use my fogs as DRL

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
Underneath the dash is a long yellow wire. Unplug it (2 yellow ends plugged together), and your DRLs are off.
Underneath the dash huh? All I see is a nest of wires going to the fuse/relay panel. Lots of them are yellow. Or are you referring to underneath the headlight switch (would necessitate removing the switch which I'm not confident wont break into a million pieces)?

Alternatively, which pin on relay 173 needs to be cut/taped over? Seems easier.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Underneath the dash huh? All I see is a nest of wires going to the fuse/relay panel. Lots of them are yellow. Or are you referring to underneath the headlight switch (would necessitate removing the switch which I'm not confident wont break into a million pieces)?

Alternatively, which pin on relay 173 needs to be cut/taped over? Seems easier.
IIRC the wire comes from the light switch and may return to the light switch but I'll have to do some research on that to verify where it actually comes from.

All I remember is finding a looped melted yellow wire under the driver inner rocker cover (plastic trim) and tracing it back to the light switch. When I figured out that it was DRL's I got rid of it.

Steve

Reactions: Rig

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI

I couldn't find this mysterious plug, so I decided to gather the courage and pop out the switch box. Yes,I did break some plastic. Theres only one solid yellow wire. Took a chance and cut it. No more DRL headlights! (yes, I taped the ends with electrical tape)

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

I couldn't find this mysterious plug, so I decided to gather the courage and pop out the switch box. Yes,I did break some plastic. Theres only one solid yellow wire. Took a chance and cut it. No more DRL headlights! (yes, I taped the ends with electrical tape)
Yeah I looked it up just a shortwhile ago and was going to post up but hadn't gotten to it yet.

Steve