How to check timing belt condition?

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
2013 Sportwagon 162000kms (100000mi) and wanting to make sure it lasts until buyback maybe in August. Is there a way of checking the belt and what to do to see what kind of condition it is in?
Thanks.

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
2013 Sportwagon 162000kms (100000mi) and wanting to make sure it lasts until buyback maybe in August. Is there a way of checking the belt and what to do to see what kind of condition it is in?

Thanks.

You’ll need to remove the timing belt cover on the passenger side of the engine and check for cracks on the belt. https://youtu.be/fAi667H7M2Y for the age and mileage I would not be too concern.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
...that said... they are almost exactly like light bulbs: they generally look fine, until they are not. :)

As posted above, mileage is really your best answer to "will it last?".

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
I used to remove heads for overhaul and install new belts on Fiat 1850's. Hoping not to get into that situation with this car.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
CBEA and CJAA engines are 120k miles. CKRA is 130k miles. Although there have been some conflicting information on that front. I've done some at 120k, some at 160k, they all look identical upon removal.

You cannot "check" them, they'll look the same, like a light bulb, which is why they have an actual replacement interval outlined in the PM schedule.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
lots has to do with how and where you drive, do you spend a lot of time sitting in traffic when its a million degrees out? or are most of your miles racked up loping along at 1800 rpm and 75 degrees out? You can see where not all miles are created equal.

I would go like this, if you get the epa average fuel economy, then you probably are cool to change on time, if you get way less than that you might want to change early.