How to Change the Cabin Pollen Filter

Kooler

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta DSG TDI SportWagen-3M tinted windows all windows to meet specs set by police for Utah-helps in the desert heat-BIG TIME!
Hello-
I thought the instructions on how to change the cabin air/pollen filter would be in the owners manual, so I just stopped by and purchased one at the local VW dealer's parts dept.. I thought I would save $70 for doing it myself, but I can't find the instructions in any of the manuals or by Googling it. I looked in the glove compartment (where my last one was) but I cannot find out how to replace the filter, even after removing the glove compartment door. Is it under the glove compartment? anybody know where I can change this filter in my 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI?

Thanks in advance!

bernie165

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
It is under the glove box...as opposed to going through the glovebox. I think there is a kick panel or cover to remove (4 screws?) and then you will see the door for the filter on the bottom. Unsnap and the filter drops out

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
That's a lot better than the previous models. On the A4 the pollen filter is a pain in the a$$ to replace! On those you go in from under the windshield cowling panel (from under the hood) and I always seem to crack or break something trying to get the new on in.

--Nate

Last edited:

Kooler

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta DSG TDI SportWagen-3M tinted windows all windows to meet specs set by police for Utah-helps in the desert heat-BIG TIME!
So Under, Not In the Glovebox

Thanks. I think PD Jetta is saying it used to be under the hood, and agreeing with what I thought but I could not find the screws. So Bernie must have given me the right answer. I was wondering why the glovebox door was so hard to get it to come out, but if it is under the glovebox, that would be awesome. It is a hugh filter. I have never sen an air/pollen filter this big.
I appreciate the help. I hope it works out.

PDJetta, let me know if you are saying for my Jetta, it could be under the hood but I think you are saying that used to be the way to install the filter.

Kooler

Veteran Member
TDI
Bernie- How do you like your 2010 Jetta TDI? Is it the sedan? Is the 6 speed manual or DSG? I do not think they make the DSG anymore unless it is just in the sportwagen, but I could be wrong. I am looking to sell my 2009 and get a smaller car.

any suggestions on good websites to sell used cars?

thanks

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
No, PD is telling you that on the previous generation Golfs & Jettas it was a PITA job.

Your cabin filter is NOT under the hood. You access it above the toes of the passenger, essentially behind the glove box. There are several plastic screws to remove, then you take out the fabric board. There's a plastic cover that's about 8 inches long. It slides one way or the other along its long axis. Once you take it off, the filter cartridge pulls straight down.

http://www.mann-hummel.com/mf_prodkata_all/einbau/HBWECzvWaUb.pdf

Kooler

Veteran Member
TDI
Gotcha, Just trying to understand what PDJetta meant.
Thanks for your clarification.

Kent

bernie165

TDI
'10 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Kooler, I love the car (its the Sedan) so far. Closing in on 6K, I've got the 6 speed. You can get the DSG in the Jetta. I am getting 40 MPG on each tank consistently and think the manual is the only way to go...my opinion of course! Very roomy, My Jetta replaced a full size sedan and I swear I have more room throughout the Jetta than I did in the previous car....plus double the mileage!!!

Kooler

Veteran Member
TDI
Bernie-
I want to get away from the DSG. It needs some work. So I am confused, you have a 2010 Jetta TDI and your 2010 replaced a full size sedan, but your 2010 has more room? What is the official model of your car? If I wanted to look at it on a lot, how could I be sure I was looking at the car you have and not the full size sedan?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Bernie-
I want to get away from the DSG. It needs some work. So I am confused, you have a 2010 Jetta TDI and your 2010 replaced a full size sedan, but your 2010 has more room? What is the official model of your car? If I wanted to look at it on a lot, how could I be sure I was looking at the car you have and not the full size sedan?
His profile says 2010 Jetta. There's only the Jetta sedan, the Jetta wagon, and the Golf available with a TDI. The "full size" sedans are Passats, and they're not available with a TDI in North America in the 2010 model.

Kooler

Veteran Member
TDI
yea, I have not even tried it yet because of that. It might have been just as well having the dealer do it. Even if I have a drop cloth and I need to be right under the glove box when I unscrew the plate the dust/pollen will all come down on me, so I am not sure how to avoid it. Why didn't the Germans think about this? lol

bernie165

TDI
'10 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Sorry...I guess I am causing confusion! I have the Jetta, it replaced my Cadillac CTS. The CTS is considered a full size performance sedan - the Jetta is not, its considered compact sedan. My point was that even though the Jetta has a smaller exterior 'footprint' than my CTS did, it feels and seems much roomier, or in other words, VW made efficient use of available interior space. All compliments on the Jetta - and yes again, DSG is out in my book. With the TDI, the manual is a nice compliment and much less service!

Kooler

Veteran Member
TDI
bernie-
Is the DSG out in your book because of the problems, like I have had? Or just something you do not like? They extended the warranty to 10 years after I kept telling them I am having so many problems, a few which almost caused me to get rear-ended by a semi because the DSG hesitates when it wants. They kept telling me there is noting wrong, even the VW customer service people. I could not believe they would hide the fact that the errors the DSG had were so obvious, and they still refused to accept any responsibility. Then when they came out with the 10 year warranty I asked why they came out with that is there was nothing wrong. The boss in the Customer Service VW said there is nothing wrong with the DSG ut we want you customers to fel safe driving the DSG. Whatever. I want to sell my car. it is an awesome car, but I got too excited and got into the moon/full sunroof that is awesome but I have been so buys to enjoy the car. So if you are so happy with your car and you get 50 on the hwy., if I wanted to check out the 2011 TDI in your model, what would be the exact model and name I would ask to test drive to make sure I am driving your exact car. what do you think the diesel fluid is going to do as far as price? Also, do you have a hard time waiting the full recommended time VW says to wait on oil changes, filter change, rotation, etc.? I have the hardest time waiting. I do my tire rotation when I can feel the alignment is off a bit and the wear is slightly uneven. I had my first oil change at 15,000 and my rotation at the same and oil filter at 15 000. If the oil looks pretty clean and things are running pretty good, I will wait until the rest of the year but I will have the rotation every 15,000. The tires are not anything special and the manufacturer recommends. Yea, you had me confused a bit. One guy was making it sound easy but I just went along with him. I have never sold a used car. Any pointers? Private, trade-in? The 2009 only has 15,000 miles

bernie165

TDI
'10 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Sorry for the delay -
No, I am just a fan of the manual in the Jetta. I have never owned a DSG so I don't feel I can say much other than I would not opt for it.
And my car is a jetta sedan vs jetta wagon. There is no other option, either sedan or wagon regardless of year.