How to change the cabin filter

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I've noticed that the carbon in the air filters actually removes most organics like gasoline fumes or diesel smoke. That means it also removes unknown potentially poisonous organics from factories or spills on or near the road. These things seem to happen all to often these days. Worth having a good filter in there. IDParts, where I got mine, has 'em for about $10 (or the full filter kit if you prefer to do it when you change oil, etc).

I bought a couple of cabin filters for my 2010 JSW but never used them. They fit in the NMS Passat (CKRA)...same filter shape. Meistersatz 1K1819653A or 1K1819653B both fit.

I know this is an easy process, although you have to get into an uncomfortable upside down on your back position. If you are even bigger and fatter than me (!), it may be a challenge. I thought some photos and notes might be useful.

It is located above the passenger leg space just forward of the glove compartment. The two plastic thumbscrews need to be removed, then pull down the panel from the front side, and move it forward to free that part that is tucked up below the glove box.

This exposes the filter location. The black plastic plate is removed by pushing the Tab (arrow) to the right.

The tapered cutoff side is on the right in case you pull it out without noticing.

I had to flex the new filter while installing it. It will need to be all the way to the left by the time you reach the end of the taper. Wiggle and push stubborn places with your finger (the right side needed this on mine). But the last few inches of travel are smooth. Replace the filter plate, then replace the cover panel. The cover panel fits tight...you need to get the thing tucked over the hard plastic under the glove box (next to the vent holes) first, and can line it up using those vent holes. Then push it back up and forward, replace thumbscrews-done.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...and now that we know that the cabin air on later model Passats is drawn in from the wheel well, this filter may require more frequent changing in dustier climates...
(I wonder how the blower mower/squirrel cage is going to fare, being fed a constant diet of direct road dust and grit...grrr...)

Revpeach

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
My 2012 Jetta didn't have the nice little knobs to remove the under dash padding. It had a couple of plastic screws that required a short blade screwdriver to remove.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I added the link to this thread in our How To sticky. :cool:

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
This is the ONE filter that I hate to change... pain in the glutes! LOL

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
This is the ONE filter that I hate to change... pain in the glutes! LOL

I've found that the easiest way to change the filter is by feel, sitting in the passenger seat. Though, I have monkey arms so it may not be so easy for those with short limbs. :D

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree with kydsid...no need to lie on your back if your arms are long enough...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Be careful not to break the cover - it is fragile, especially when it is cold.

MikeTV

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-TDI 3.6 SE
Thank you for the write up and the pictures. Seems to be a trend with newer car to put the cabin filter under the glove box. My 98 Passat was a breeze to change as it was under the rain gutter in the engine compartment.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Great write up DubStrom, and nice video No-blue-screen. Good info, they've been bookmarked for future reference! Thanks!

Papa Woody

TDI
2014 Passat Tdi SEL Premium
...and now that we know that the cabin air on later model Passats is drawn in from the wheel well,
Is this really true? :eek: I thought all the outside air was drawn in through the cowl vents just like on every other car I've ever owned. If the air is not coming in at the cowl, why have vents there? Why in the world would they put the air intake in the wheelwell? Could someone please elaborate on this?

Woody

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is this really true? :eek: I thought all the outside air was drawn in through the cowl vents just like on every other car I've ever owned. If the air is not coming in at the cowl, why have vents there? Why in the world would they put the air intake in the wheelwell? Could someone please elaborate on this?

Woody
...sad, but true...here's the link to the thread talking about it...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=402886

Goodie

TDI
'04 Jetta GLS, '13 Passat SEL
The OP stated that the carbon in the filter.....
I just purchased a new cabin filter for my '13 and it's as white as can be with no sign of any carbon media. But the old one i took out was either very dirty or had carbon added to the filter element.
Are there two types available? One with carbon and and without?
As a side note...the car has 29k on it and the dealer that performed the 20k service stated that they did change the filter...sure doesnt look that way to me. I drive strickly highway and my air intake is located on the cowl, not in the wheel well.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Yes, there are two part numbers.

The newer Jettas use a plain paper "pollen filter" (Part number 1K0-819-644-B). This was one of the cost cutting measures.

The rest of the line up uses a charcoal "pollen and harmful substances filter" (Part Number 1K1-819-653-B).

If they gave you the 1K0 filter, the. Technically it is the wrong one. It will fit the vehicle and will filter dust and pollen, but it will not filter odors (like diesel exhaust).

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
So are the filters interchangeable? Can I upgrade to charcoal in my Jetta?

Thx

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Yes, and absolutely. I actually recommend it.

When I still worked for Riverside Vw, if the car was out of warranty, we would put the charcoal filter in every car just because they were better and most likely healthier for the customer for maybe a dollar more.

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
This isn't Passat specific, but it is New _____ sedan specific.

Anyway, I just experienced the whole paper cabin filter thing on my wife's new 2014 Jetta SE. She's been complaining about outside smells that she never complained about in her 2000 Jetta. So I guessed that VW cheaped out on the factory filter and ordered a CUK2939 from Amazon. Sure enough, I go to change it out and found that it's a CU2939/1K0819644B. Pretty sad that I'm swapping out a cabin filter on a brand new car with just over 1000 miles on it because the manufacturer decided to use the filter that costs about $2.00 less at retail (it probably costs VW 50 cents less). Next up is the horn upgrade whenever it warms up here in Maine because we don't like how it sounds like an Asian horn.

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
I've noticed that the carbon in the air filters actually removes most organics like gasoline fumes or diesel smoke. That means it also removes unknown potentially poisonous organics from factories or spills on or near the road. These things seem to happen all to often these days. Worth having a good filter in there. IDParts, where I got mine, has 'em for about $10 (or the full filter kit if you prefer to do it when you change oil, etc).

I bought a couple of cabin filters for my 2010 JSW but never used them. They fit in the NMS Passat (CKRA)...same filter shape. Meistersatz 1K1819653A or 1K1819653B both fit.

I know this is an easy process, although you have to get into an uncomfortable upside down on your back position. If you are even bigger and fatter than me (!), it may be a challenge. I thought some photos and notes might be useful.

It is located above the passenger leg space just forward of the glove compartment. The two plastic thumbscrews need to be removed, then pull down the panel from the front side, and move it forward to free that part that is tucked up below the glove box.

This exposes the filter location. The black plastic plate is removed by pushing the Tab (arrow) to the right.

The tapered cutoff side is on the right in case you pull it out without noticing.

I had to flex the new filter while installing it. It will need to be all the way to the left by the time you reach the end of the taper. Wiggle and push stubborn places with your finger (the right side needed this on mine). But the last few inches of travel are smooth. Replace the filter plate, then replace the cover panel. The cover panel fits tight...you need to get the thing tucked over the hard plastic under the glove box (next to the vent holes) first, and can line it up using those vent holes. Then push it back up and forward, replace thumbscrews-done.
Thanks for posting.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I did my 20k service this weekend - not thrilled with the design of the cabin filter and how it dumps all the crap onto the passenger footwell when the filter is removed! I had a whole pile of crap in there... I'll know next time to have something under it to catch it all.

I couldn't remember which way the filter was installed after I removed it (hadn't seen this thread). Spent a couple of minutes trying to figure it out and guessed - correctly. Never noticed that the holes in the filter bottom were offset to fit only one way in the sliding cover. The 40k will be a quick and easy.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not for free, but if you pay them I would guess they can do it. I highly doubt they do anything but change the filter at the service intervals.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fixmy59bug, I think the latest question was if the more extensive cleaning was done at the 20k service. I'm certain "no" (I'm going to ask tomorrow if my dealer even knows about the flushing service!), but yes, the filter change is included in the care-free maintenance.