HOW TO: Auxilliary Input using PIE VW02 and SAT Passthrough

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
OK, so I finally got around to installing my PIE VW02-AUX rca inputs this weekend. It worked, so I took some pictures to try and put together a little How To for anyone interested. Obviously there are more than one way to accomplish this so take the arguement on if this is the best way or not somewhere else.

For the record, I have the 6 disc in dash changer with Satellite and no other Aux input in the car. I purchased:
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/PIE_VW02_AUX.html
and
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/ENFIG_MK5_SAT_PASSTHRU.html

Here's how I did it with a few notes on the process that will hopefully help out the next guy/girl.

Step 1 - Disconnect Battery
I'm not sure if this is totally necessary, but I did it because the PIE instructions said to. Later on when I was tinkering with different grounds to see if all of them worked, I did not unhook battery. I just tried to be careful about hitting the power button when hooking and unhooking. The PIE instructions said something about possibly needing the radio code but I did not need it during any point in this process.

Step 2 - I set up a little platform to help me work. Coincidentally, the box the Enfig stuff came in worked perfect. I put it in front of the shifter and then a towel on top of it for a nice place to rest the radio once it came out.

Step 3 - Remove the piece around the control for the dash vent (using very technical jargon here as you see) :). The tips here I have seen elsewhere helped out...use a little plastic piece in the side cracks to clear those tabs.

Step 4 - Remove the piece closest to the window on that same dash vent. This one was a little more difficult than the first, but still pretty easy while using the same techniques.

Step 5 - Remove the dash vent. This part is pretty easy so I didn't take pictures of it, except here is a view of it removed. You can see closest to the window there is a screw missing. You need to remove that before you take off the dash vent. This was the hardest to get to as it was difficult to see. The 2 screws you see still here need to come out for step 6.

Step 6 - Once the 2 screws are removed pry the front edge (closest to the window) out...you can see the tabs here in the first picture. Then move it forward to clear the tabs in the 2nd picture.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
cont...

Step 7 - OK, so this next part was the most difficult part of the whole install. The dash piece that holds the vents, the hazard light/button, etc... is the most difficult to remove. I was a bit scared during the whole thing as I just knew I was going to break something. The best advice I can give is work on the part near the window first and then work on the part closest to you. The top picture shows the side closest to the window, the 2nd picture shows you the tabs you will need to press in while you are pulling the whole thing up and out.

Step 8 - The bottom of this difficult piece provides an opportunity for a 'gotcha' and a well placed tip for the next guy. Before you can get this all the way out you have to unplug the air bag indicator light and the hazard button. Notice the tabs on the bottom AND THE TOP of the hazard light in the 2nd pic. We will refer back to this picture later.

Step 9 - It's pretty much downhill from here...that piece was definitely the hardest part. Here is what you will see now. Remove those 2 screws you see holding the radio surround in and unsnap the surround. You can see in the 2nd pic how the back of the surround looks and snaps into place. Just softly work your way around this piece unsnapping each hook.

Step 10 - This part is pretty self explanatory. Now that you have these 4 screws exposed, remove them and slide the radio straight out, laying it on the platform I described previously. The radio was a little wierd, after like the first inch it gets hung up on something...but a little shake with a firm pull dislodged it. It happened the same way each time.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
cont x 2...

Step 11 - Now for the fun part. On the back of the radio is a gauge cluster. All of these harnesses are held in by this lock. Pinch the middle of the arm and rotate it up and the whole unit will come out. I have shown you a side view so you can see how it works. It goes back in the same way...insert it with the arm up and then push it down to lock it down the last 1/2 inch or so. Sorry for the blurry pic. :rolleyes:

Step 12 - Remove the blue connector from the group.

Step 13 - The blue connector then gets plugged into the SAT Passthrough. The blue connector matches up with the female connector with the fewest wires. The PIE VW02 connector gets plugged into the SAT Passthrough female connector with the most wires. The 3rd male member of the SAT Passthrough replaces the empty spot left by the blue connector.

Step 14 - Ground the PIE VW02 box to one of the screws on the back of the radio.

Step 15 - Now that everything is hooked up and ready to go, it's time to test. You can reconnect the Negative cable on the battery. Insert key and click forward once so the radio comes on. I tested all of the normal options (FM, AM, CD, SAT) which all worked like normal. The true test though is when you hit the CD button twice. You should see something like this on the radio display.

Step 16 - If you see this then you are done. Time to put everything back in reverse. I stuffed the PIE box behind the radio and down the hole to the passenger side. Didn't see to have many fitment issues with putting the radio back in. I just tried to be gentle so as not to mess up any of the connections. I am going to have to take it all apart again when I customize the install of my 3.5mm jack, and when I do I will be adding some dielectric grease to each connection. Here are a few pics of the RCA to 3.5mm jack cable I installed for the time being.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
Gotcha

GOTCHA
So, if you remember the talk above about the 2 tabs on the hazard button. Yeah, well I learned this when I realized I had broken off the part that secures those tabs. So when I push my hazard button, the whole unit just pushes back in the recess under the vent. So, i didn't have much option but to figure out a way to keep the button a little more secure. There is a triangle abcess just above the back of the hazard button which allowed me to put something behind the switch. I used a shop paper towel rolled into a cylinder. Seemed to be fine and would cause any more rattles and prolly wouldn't get lost anywhere if it was loose.

So there you have it. Like I said, I'm going to customize the 3.5mm jack with a panel mount female jack installed next to the ESP button in one of the available spots. For now though this will work nicely for my purposes. I tested the sound on a rinky dink runner's walkman just to make sure the connection worked. I have not tried a movie on the laptop yet though. The sound wasn't real great coming from the walkman but I suspect there was quite a bit of interference with signals as I had the garage radio on, the car was on and this dinky walkman.

I am pretty pleased with how easy everything was. It is a little more expensive option than some of the more custom wiring options...but it is all concealed pretty nicely (especially when I install the panel mount jack).

Good luck if you try this out yourself. I take no responsibility for your blunders...but hopefully this guide will help someone out.

JP

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Thanks.

And all that because VW is too cheap to put an aux input on the front of the radio like anyone else seems to do these days.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
Heh...yeah, but it was fun. I like tinkering with stuff like this. I like knowing how the car comes apart too...any further knowledge about the car is a good thing in my book. Just hope this helps somebody else out there. :cool:

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
- love to take stuff apart if it involves oily knuckles
- don't mind so much to take stuff apart if involves oily bloody knuckles

- absolutely hate to take stuff apart if it involves bloody knuckles, lying upside down, plastic tabbies that break off, screws that don't even look like Torx, stuff that came apart but doesn't want to go back together....

So, changing a front oil seal without pulling the engine on a jap compact: No problem.

Pulling radio on modern cars: $#$(*_$_)#_$$_$_*^&@_+@

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
jpdeuce said:
Heh...yeah, but it was fun. I like tinkering with stuff like this. I like knowing how the car comes apart too...any further knowledge about the car is a good thing in my book. Just hope this helps somebody else out there. :cool:
Hi JP, well I may have different views on the MPG issues, but this is one hell of a good write up. I'll try that myself.
Thumbs up on this one, bro. :)

nakimball

TDI
'05.5 Jetta 5spd
Hi. I was wondering if you've tried this in tandem with charging an ipod in your 12v adapter. Sometimes there is an interference buzz which is why I've stuck to my trusty transpod FM transmitter for so long. I am seriously thinking about doing this though.....

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Hope I am not nagging on this issue (I've posted quite a long on different topics about getting aux audio input installed). Does PIE work with stereos without SAT?
I emailed Enfig and their reply is yes. Just want to ask if anyone has actually done that?

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Very nice write-up, and good pics.

One comment I might add: The hazard/airbag warning harness does not need to be disconnected from the upper air vent assembly; the assembly can simply be turned 90 degrees, and set atop the dash, out of the way.
Especially if you disconnect the battery - I don't think you're supposed to re-connect the battery (i.e., to test the radio) with the harness disconnected. Leaving it intact in the vent assembly alleviates any concerns.

Oh, another item: firmly wrap electrical tape around the RCA connections to secure them together - I've had them work their way apart in the past.

Last edited:

TeaDeeEye

TDI
2006 TDI
That's sweet man.
So you still have satellite capabilites if you wanted them? I missed where you stashed the box with the RCA red and white inputs.
Do you have any updates on the sound quality? How's the volume level when using MP3 player?
Thanks

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
nakimball said:
Hi. I was wondering if you've tried this in tandem with charging an ipod in your 12v adapter. Sometimes there is an interference buzz which is why I've stuck to my trusty transpod FM transmitter for so long. I am seriously thinking about doing this though.....
I have not as my primary usage was not for the iPod.

shutterfly said:
Hope I am not nagging on this issue (I've posted quite a long on different topics about getting aux audio input installed). Does PIE work with stereos without SAT?
I emailed Enfig and their reply is yes. Just want to ask if anyone has actually done that?
I'm guessing it would but you would need one less piece than I did. I don't expect you would need the SAT passthrough cable.

CADtechTDi said:
One comment I might add: The hazard/airbag warning harness does not need to be disconnected from the upper air vent assembly; the assembly can simply be turned 90 degrees, and set atop the dash, out of the way.
Especially if you disconnect the battery - I don't think you're supposed to re-connect the battery (i.e., to test the radio) with the harness disconnected. Leaving it intact in the vent assembly alleviates any concerns. Oh, another item: firmly wrap electrical tape around the RCA connections to secure them together - I've had them work their way apart in the past.
These are great tips I wish I had before I started. Not unpluggin the hazard would have been nice, but my rolled up shop paper towel has been working fine too. :) When I take it back apart to install the flush 3.5mm jack, I will keep the tip in mind about the RCAs...I can definitely see that happening.

TeaDeeEye said:
So you still have satellite capabilites if you wanted them? I missed where you stashed the box with the RCA red and white inputs.
Do you have any updates on the sound quality? How's the volume level when using MP3 player?
Yes, I still have the SAT capabilities...no loss of use there. I stashed the big RCA converter box behind the radio unit. There really is quite a bit of blank space back there. Just be careful when putting the radio back in that the wires go back smoothly instead of getting hung on something. The sound quality is great. I have used the laptop and a buddy's iPod and both have sounded great. You do have to turn up the volume level on the source.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I hope this helped you guys.

TeaDeeEye

TDI
2006 TDI
jpdeuce,
Got another question, sorry.
What mode does the stereo have to be on for you to use the aux? There's no "aux" mode so is it SAT mode?
Thanks,

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
TeaDeeEye said:
jpdeuce,
Got another question, sorry.
What mode does the stereo have to be on for you to use the aux? There's no "aux" mode so is it SAT mode?
Thanks,
When you push the CD button twice, you're using the external CD option (at least with my Blitzsafe Aux adaptor) - which would typically be for a trunk or center armrest mounted CD player/changer.
I noticed jp's display lists CD 1 with "EXT." in the upper right corner, in his pic; I'll have to double-check mine to see what it says on my display. I could have sworn it says "AUX"... :confused:

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
CADtechTDi said:
When you push the CD button twice, you're using the external CD option (at least with my Blitzsafe Aux adaptor) - which would typically be for a trunk or center armrest mounted CD player/changer.
I noticed jp's display lists CD 1 with "EXT." in the upper right corner, in his pic; I'll have to double-check mine to see what it says on my display. I could have sworn it says "AUX"... :confused:
Yup, deuce times on the CD button :D

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
jpduce:
I bought the same PIE VW02 adapter and took everything apart, plugged in the harness, turned on the radio, double-press CD button ------------ Nothing :(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Tried double-press the CD button with different tempo, etc...... Still nothing.....
My Jetta is a 2006 (not 2006.5) with 6CD/MP3 but no Satellite. Is there something in VAG that I need to change in order to use it?

I even emailed enfigcarsteoreo about the issue before I bought it and the answer is positive.

Now I am stuck......

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Sorry guys, false alarm.
It turned out that I forgot to connect the ground cable. After that everything worked out like chime.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
shutterfly said:
Sorry guys, false alarm.
It turned out that I forgot to connect the ground cable. After that everything worked out like chime.
Good to hear. :D

wldwsel

TDI
2005 Jetta Pkg 1 DSG
When I put my Bluetooth car kit in, I had to remove the radio, but I didn't have to remove the upper dash grill assembly ( pictured in your step 6 ) to do it. If you remove the single screw closest to the windshield (under the little black cover) and the gently start from the front (closest to the windshield) with your pry tool, you can get the assembly loose enough to pop up, but not completely off.

If you look at your picture, you'll see at the right end of the assembly (lower right of the arc), there is a little "spade" looking hook; there is one on the other side also. This spade butts up against the lower cover (the one that surrounds the lower part of the radio and the vents, fan speed switch, etc) on each side of the radio, about 1/3 down from the top and snaps into place when you push down on the top assembly.

Since I had to go in there twice, I found on the second trip in, that if I got the upper part of the upper assembly loose, I could push in (toward the windshield) on these llittle spade hooks, and the two covers pop apart. You then insert something in the gap on both sides of the upper grill assembly to keep it from falling back down on the radio (it might also re-lock the "spades" if it comes down quick enough).

Take out the two screws on the lower cover and the 4 screws on the radio and pull it out.

I'm like you - I really didn't relish the idea of taking it apart, but it wasn't so bad......the second time.

wldwsel

TDI
2005 Jetta Pkg 1 DSG
Actually, the upper grill assy. and the tabs are in your step 8, not step 6.

Sorry bout that.