How to adjust your stock shift linkage--video

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Nice video Jim I will do the adjustment on my other TDI car, by the way, I just purchased my DG short shifter from DG, and as always Jim has gone out of his way to give me advice on how to install any product from DG,on the side note, I am very happy with DG skid plates, DG by pass filters and now with the short shifter my car is even more fun to drive, of course great customer service and overall great top notch products. keep it up Jim.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Growler said:
If doing this doesn't fix it, you will need a TCM adjustment..

and only YOU can preform that adjustment on your car. no one else has the ability.
What do you mean by TCM?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
unixb0y said:
What do you mean by TCM?
Just taking a guess here...

Transmission Control Module - In the case of a 5 speed, this would be your brain, right hand and left foot.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
TDICADDGUY said:
Just taking a guess here...

Transmission Control Module - In the case of a 5 speed, this would be your brain, right hand and left foot.
YAY< someone got my joke!

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Thanks for the well done video! Should there be any type of lubricant applied to the cable ends or shifter linkage?

CGK

TDI
2015 Golf S TDI
Kudos again Jim for making this adjustment so easy "a cave man could do it"!
BTW, anyone considering a short shift kit should seriously look at Jim's Dieselgeek kit.
I've had one on my 5sp NBC for 3years now and it works flawlessly. Plus, the installation is, once again, very easy since Jim has provided a very detailed instruction PDF with tons of photos so you can't help but get this kit installed in 45 minutes or less!!
Thanks again Jim!!

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
Will this help with downshiffting issues? Tranny shift up ok, but does not like to go from fifth to fourth or fourth to third, tranny only like to go from fifth to second (clutch pushed in of course) then it shifts to fourth or third fine. PITA...AND my locking pin is broken on the transmision, any way to repair? I do not get the stacked quarters tip posted earlier....Changed tranny oil with Mobil 1 75-90w and it is a little better, but only just a little. I suspect this is all the remnants of the damn B&M shifter I had in about 4 years ago....what a piece of crap that was...Any ideas for an easy fix? Thanks!

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
I don't like Mobil 1 gear oil. I would switch to Redline or VW synthetic and see what happens.

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
My old Mobil1 I drained out was pretty nasty, so I will use this current fill of Mobil 1 as a "flush" and fill with some correct VW fluid when I change my oil next. I used to be a big Mobil1 guy and am starting to shy away from it....My tranny shifts better after changing the fliud, but not by much, I will be glad to swap it out...cost wise it seems like the other fluids are about the same price anyway. What should I get at the dealer? G52, G70, G50? So many different kinds...What is the correct stuff? (2001 Jetta TDI) Last time I asked the service guy (when I ended up using the Mobil 1 again even though I was looking for the VW stuff which they did not have)he told me they just use Mobil 1.....kind of scary huh? They don't work on my car for that and other reasons....Thanks!

Any one know how I can fix the Plastic locator pin on the transmission? It just spins and never locks in....it never worked right and I have tried to do what is shown on the video Corrado tdi posted up....Is it just a plastic pin pushing into a slot on that shift shaft? Maybe pull it out and replace it with a metal one of the same dimension so I can get the proper spot indexed? Sure would be nice to not have to do all this shifting on down shifting..this going to "2nd gear" (at least going through the motions of doing so as it will then "upshift" to the correct gear, even though I am doing a downshift from fifth or fourth) to make all my down shifts work stinks. It is like those gears do not exsist, but all of the upshifts are fine....makes me think the cable ends may be worn with the being out of alignment....since I am never sure I am 100% in the right spot to begin the alignment.

pilotguy

TDI
2014 JSW dct
My 2000 Golf GL is VERY feisty when trying to go into 1st or 2nd when at a light or stop sign. ( no, I don't start out in 2nd) I am going to change the fluid tomorrow. There is a little bit of slop in the shifter itself too. Any ideas that might help? Thx.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
At 2:16 when you lock the transmission down.....are you supposed to still be able to spin the weight part (clockwise or counterclockwise, not up and down). Mine spins....

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Thats what I thought, but mine still spins. I recently lost 2nd and 4th gear, could this shifter weight be stripped? Does your company sell the shifter weight?

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
If your stock weight wobbles when you torque it by hand then it is smoked.

We don't sell stock shift weights but we are very experienced at making a short shift kit that replaces the stock shift weight. Our TTX Shifter is an economic and satisfying solution to your problem or the Sigma is a more expensive and even more sophisticated solution. You can also buy a replacement shift weight at the dealer or a salvage yard.

WaKramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
SheeB said:
Thanks for the well done video! Should there be any type of lubricant applied to the cable ends or shifter linkage?
The Bentley says to lubricate all sliding surfaces. I cleaned and lightly greased where the weighted part and the "shoe" (the plastic part) slide together. This was the only thing that completely fixed my 2nd gear crunch. Shifting feels smooth and precise again.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
corrado tdi said:
If your stock weight wobbles when you torque it by hand then it is smoked.

We don't sell stock shift weights but we are very experienced at making a short shift kit that replaces the stock shift weight. Our TTX Shifter is an economic and satisfying solution to your problem or the Sigma is a more expensive and even more sophisticated solution. You can also buy a replacement shift weight at the dealer or a salvage yard.
I was just looking at the TTX shifter. Sounds like a good time for a modification. Only thing is I need something ASAP to get me from my hometown back to school this upcoming friday. Any ideas on how to rig this thing to get me to school? Or maybe I can go to a junkyard and get another one. Will a shifter weight off another model VW work?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Re: Video procedure - Before pushing down on the shift lever on the transmission to lock it in place (with the plastic pin) from moving up or down, does it (the lever) need to be in a specific orientation? It can move from side to side easily. Should it be centered with respect to the small guide near the base of the lever?

Also, what gear should the car be in to start the procedure? Neutral?

Thanks,

Tony

JonnyBlaze

TDI
2000 Jetta VR6
Hey guys! New here and with a problem. Lol.

Ok, first off I havea 2000 Jetta VR6, that I just recently purchased. I had trouble getting it into first gear without it slipping into third instead. So I searched the web, no luck UNTIL I decided to search youtube. And lo and behold there it was!!! My savior!!! The adjustment vdeo posted by dieselgeek. Lol.

So anyway, I followed all of the steps and Now it goes into every gear like butter with the exeption of second gear. Caqn anyone please tell me what I may have done wrong? I never had trouble with second gear until I attempted this "how to" video and my car is still apart out in my driveway.

Also, (gulp) I should mention that the drillbit I used to align the shifter to the shifter plate broke when I tried to pull it out and the lower half fell down into the hole on the shifter plate. Is there any chance of that falling into the tranny? GOD I hope not. DOH!

Please help me. Im desperate. Also, it has a nwer clutch and factory shifter. The shiftter has no sloppiness or abnormal play.

Looking forward to your responses! THANKS!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Do it again. I know I'll do the procedure 4-5 times before being satisfied.

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Talked to JonnyBlaze yesterday and we discussed the possibility of his chrome shift weight being wallowed out at the spline connection. He was gonna check it and get back to me.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
jim, you should also mention the 6 quarter trick for when the little locking arm is busted and doesn't work..

worked great for me. 2x... :D

JonnyBlaze

TDI
2000 Jetta VR6
Hey guys. I tried it 6 more times and the last time was a charm. Shifts like butter now. Thank you very much. Now to replace the broken hood release cable. I just picked this car up for $2000.00. And replaced all 4 pads and rotors and the right rear brake caliper cause the previous owner snapped off the bleeder screw. Oh and I need to figure out how to adjust the ebrake cable?

And does anyone have a nice maroon front bumper cover cheap?

Thanks again!!!

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
When you put the 20d nail (or in my case a long 4mm allen key, the 5mm is too big at the corners), in the shifter to center it, is it engaging something deep down? at 1:00 in the video, when you align the nail, it goes through the shifter and the base, but below the base is it engaging something?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Dieselgeek

TDI
2016 Golf TDI
No, the 5mm pin is only positioning the shift lever in an exact relationship to the pivot base.

I am pretty sure that the shift cable/shift box mechanisms come from the factory with a 5mm pin installed and the transmissions probably come with the plastic locking pin engaged. During final assembly of the car, when the one person responsible for the shift mechanism inserts the two shift cables into the plastic cable ends they simply twist the ribbed rings on the cable ends, unlock the tranny locking pin, remove the 5mm pin from the mechanism inside the car and move onto the next car. This is how the shift mechanisms are mated together on the assembly line.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
When I was at the factory it looked like the entire powertrain, subframe, exhaust, suspension, brakes and all get shoved in at one time (in about 1 second) from below before a big arm swings over the top of the engine and spins the mount bolts in

The following step is windshield installation (which is even cooler believe it or not)