How to adjust 5th gear fork?

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
I had my 02J trans apart a couple months ago for diff bearings and ever since then if I try to shift quickly into 5th I get a slight grind. Another new issue is if I'm on the highway for a while when slowing down in 5th and try to go to neutral sometimes it will get stuck in 5th. I have new fluid in there, it's full also. I tried adjusting the cables and lubed them with white lithium grease also. I'm not so sure I got the adjustment on the 5th gear selector fork 100% correct, I'd like to try and adjust that but have had no luck finding a procedure online to do that therefore any help is appreciated.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Just went thru one (out of 1.8, but they're the same) and we had the instructions printed out. I believe we got them off a thread on vwvortex. I will see if I can locate it if no one else can give you instructions.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
That may be the same write up I used! Very nice and detailed, but I wasn't clear on the fork adjustment so I set it where it appeared to be previously by the mark the bolt made on the fork. I didn't have this problem before so I attribute it most likely to the fork being out of adjustment. I'm glad I can adjust the fork with the trans still in the vehicle.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
My take on it was you "manually" move the shift fork and selector hub into/onto the fifth gear engaged position and the push the end piece onto the arm and tighten up the bolt.
At least that's the wat we did it and all gears engage and shift OK in the "dry run".

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
Ok I have the linkage all hooked up, I will pull the cover and engage 5th and see where it sits. Has anyone had an issue with the plastic bushings in the shifter mechanism cause this? Car has 190k and they are original.