How to access the EGT sensor on a BHW Passat TDI wagon

dunean

TDI
Wagon
Are there any B5.5, BHW Passat TDI wagon fan around that can tell me? From where do I access the EGT sensor (pre turbo) to replace it. I see for some other model TDI's the EGT is accessed from under the car and then for other's it's from the engine bay reaching down on the passenger side in front of the firewall which would require pulling some parts off to get to it. I've searched as best I can and can't find anything about BHW Passat access.

Normally, I’d just started get the car on jack stands to look but very recently, I had sudden onset double vision which make everything more much more difficult, a walk in the park has become a challenge The cause is still unknown, if I’m lucky it will resolve itself but an MRI is next in looking for a cause.

So “Bueller, Bueller” :) Please can someone let me know it's from the engine bay or from under the car that I get to the EGT. (Dizziness accompanies my vision problem so I’m hoping it’s from above but of course I’ll hold onto the ground if I have to.

This garage queen is a 2004 Passat GLS TDI wagon with ~250K miles, always loved and well cared for though still chained, with the car came every service record since new.

Thanks for any help,
@

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It's in the engine compartment on the back side of the turbo, just above the flange it will be a little bit of a pain to get to, but shouldn't be terribly bad.

dunean

TDI
Wagon
Thank you Mozambiquer, I wish for you a best day ever, actually, let me change that, I wish that every day be a best day for you!

Once I get the EGT in, my plan is to go see Weifeng Pan in Palo Alto, CA so I can finally scan this TDI with his VAGCOM.
Wei rents out his fully licensed VAGCOM. I didn't add Wei to the old VAGCOM locator thread because he doesn't fit the "free" criteria but at $10 for 4hrs or more use at his place it might as well be free, what is that two cups of coffee at a Starbucks. I'm not compensated in any way for recommending him but he's great! He'll mail you his VAGCOM for a weekend use for $20, if I'm remembering right. He asks a replacement cost deposit to secure his incurred risk. I'm sure there must be some users here that know of him. His email is <vagcom001@gmail.com>
Just please, anyone, don't rent his gear by mail till after I've sorted my current needs local to him in the next few days.

Best,
@

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Thank you Mozambiquer, I wish for you a best day ever, actually, let me change that, I wish that every day be a best day for you!

Once I get the EGT in, my plan is to go see Weifeng Pan in Palo Alto, CA so I can finally scan this TDI with his VAGCOM.
Wei rents out his fully licensed VAGCOM. I didn't add Wei to the old VAGCOM locator thread because he doesn't fit the "free" criteria but at $10 for 4hrs or more use at his place it might as well be free, what is that two cups of coffee at a Starbucks. I'm not compensated in any way for recommending him but he's great! He'll mail you his VAGCOM for a weekend use for $20, if I'm remembering right. He asks a replacement cost deposit to secure his incurred risk. I'm sure there must be some users here that know of him. His email is <vagcom001@gmail.com>
Just please, anyone, don't rent his gear by mail till after I've sorted my current needs local to him in the next few days.

Best,
@

Great! No worries about me renting it. I have my own. 😀 Good luck!

mozark

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon, Silver, 5sp '05 Passat Wagon, Indigo, auto
I just changed the one in my winter project engine replacement. It's not too bad. Remove the entire air box and you can access it. You may need to hit it with some penetrant if its frozen, and you will not have much movement in your wrench. The turbo feed hard line prevents much swing. 17mm open end or line wrench, IIRC. If you can crack it loose you can spin it out with some finger contortion. The real issue is the lead. If it's still wire tied to the O2 sensor lead it will be difficult to spin it out without cutting it. If you know its bad then no big deal. If your not sure, its an expensive part.

dunean

TDI
Wagon
Thanks Mozark,

I think you’ve given just the right amount of detail to assure my success. Yes, expensive, but idparts.com is 1/3 less than dealer and I wanted the factory EGT over the cheaper Bosch, cheap insurance, especially for jobs that require multi-step labor, much effort, or finesse to do.

With right front wheel up on a ramp, I was jazzed to see and touch the sensor, though only with a tool from 18” away. The sensor wire was severed right at the connection to the sensor. This car is new to me so I’d not done any “finger gerfingerpoken” under the hood, so either “Earth Coincidence Control” or the PO’s mechanic excuse applies.

I’d started scheming on how I could get it out from below if I made/modified a tool. A ancient (with a wobble now built in from years of wear) 3/8 socket driver with just the right sleeved pipe to extend the handle to between 15” and 18” might allow me get my cut away sensor socket on to the EGT. I may yet today try to crack it loose from below but getting the new one will be easier with a reach around without the air box in place

Your air box removal is certainly the ticket, I’d not considered trying to make room for my elbow to fit. I do want to make sure, you aren’t double jointed right??? When I first reached down the back of the engine, half way down, I though of the rock climber who wrote the book about getting his arm caught in a desolate canyon rock shift/fall. A few days later, he uses a Swiss Army knife to amputated his own arm to save his life. My next thought was Uh Oh, where's my cell phone?

Again, thanks for taking the time to write, you just might just have saved on of my limbs :) I saw your tag for Monongahela Nat’l Forest, it's the only place I’ve ever been rock climbing east of the Sierras (unless I have to count China) It was there at Seneca Rocks. It’s really a breathtaking place.

Best,
@

Achtung: Das machine ist nicht fer gerfingerpoken und mittengraben. Ist easy snappen der springenwerk blowenfusen, und corkenpoppin mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fer gewerken by das dumpkofen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights

mozark

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon, Silver, 5sp '05 Passat Wagon, Indigo, auto
NP. The fact that your lead is broken may help. If you can clip off the sleeve you may be able to get a socket on it.

Seneca Rocks is just over the line in the neighboring county. Spectacular.