How the hell do I get this bolt off???

93 1.9d

TDI
1993 Golf 1.9D 427000kms and counting!

This is the last bolt I need to get off in order to take the oil pan off and get my pistons out. BUT I CAN NOT GET ACCESS TO IT. Please help.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I've never needed to get this bolt on this engine.

But if you don't have any wobble extensions now may be the time. Sometimes I use more than 1 wobble together especially when bolts shouldn't be too tight - like this.

93 1.9d

TDI
I do have double pivot one but it's too big to get in there. I really have no idea why in the world thy would put a bolt right there. Come on vw

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
5mm ball ended allen key? It looks like it has the same style as the Mk4

93 1.9d

TDI
Okay I got a minny swivel knuckle thing from Canadian tire and it's off! But now the oil pan is loose and I can wiggle it around but won't come off? Could my crank be on the way somehow?

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
It's probably hitting on the air conditioner. You have to remove the serpentine belt, then remove only one bolt on the a/c which is nearest the engine, loosen the other one. Push the a/c towards the radiator and the pan will drop on your head.

93 1.9d

TDI
Car does not have ac. And no the pan is loose like I can wiggle it about a half an inch in any direction it just won't come down

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Your oil pump pick up tube, and an oil splash guard are the components limiting your pan travel. I will take a little wiggling around, you might have to remove the bracket that supports the power steering pump to get the pan to come down.

Make sure you have a reference manual as a guide.

Ed

93 1.9d

TDI
I removed the power steering pump but the oil pan still refuses to drop down. I can wiggle it all over the place and get it about a quarter inch down from the gasket. I think it would be easier to just rip it off and buy a new one. Quicktd do you mean loosening the gasket off the pan?

93 1.9d

TDI
Got it!! That stupid windage tray thing. Not sure if I can reuse it? Looks kinda bent:/ and I broke a couple plastic clips holding the tray up ontop of the oil pick up tube. Do I need to reuse this or can I just put on a new oil pan gasket when I put everything back together??

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The plastic assembly surrounding the pump pickup is very important to the proper operation of the oil pump pickup and nearly impossible to find the last time I needed one.

The "stupid" windage tray is part of the oil pan assembly and I'm not sure it's available as a part separate from the oil pan.

No offence, but based on all of your threads I recommend taking a deep breath and reconsidering if this is the right vehicle for you. The car has other "stupid" parts, some pretty rare now, and also other bolts that take a bit of finesse to remove. :) I say this not to be mean or nasty, but to potentially save you a bunch of future aggravation. These are older vehicles and support is not easy to find.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The windage tray is part of the pan gasket not the pan itself. You can use a 1Z/AHU TDI pan gasket which does not have the windage tray.