How stiff is your clutch pedal?

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Ive been driving my 2007 corolla and after driving it, the pedal in my Jetta feels very soft in comparison. The corolla has 150k miles vs 300k in the Jetta. Is it just a difference in cars or should the Jetta pedal be stiffer?the Jetta otherwise shifts fine, clutch pedal returns to normal when I depress it, etc

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's probably fine. VWs do tend to have a lighter clutch pedal. I know I was always surprised at how much effort the clutch in my Mom's Forester took compared to my VWs.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Clutch pedal is light comparatively.
Then when I yanked the OEM clutch for the stage 2 Daily SB, it was even lighter feel than stock. At first I thought I did something wrong during the install ha.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Ive been driving my 2007 corolla and after driving it, the pedal in my Jetta feels very soft in comparison. The corolla has 150k miles vs 300k in the Jetta. Is it just a difference in cars or should the Jetta pedal be stiffer?the Jetta otherwise shifts fine, clutch pedal returns to normal when I depress it, etc
Maybe you’re Corolla needs a clutch replacement?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Jumping from the Tacoma to the Jetta the clutch feels non existent. Very little resistance in the pedal, no issues holding though

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Jumping from the Tacoma to the Jetta the clutch feels non existent. Very little resistance in the pedal, no issues holding though
Haha, I feel the same...going from the Cummins NV5600 to the Golf, I damn near put the pedal through the floor :)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Haha, I feel the same...going from the Cummins NV5600 to the Golf, I damn near put the pedal through the floor :)
After about 3 months of not driving the Jetta, I thought I missed the pedal

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
After about 3 months of not driving the Jetta, I thought I missed the pedal
OK im glad im not the only one who feels this way. Very good way to describe the Jetta pedal feel. It barely feels like I'm pressing anything when I drive it now after driving the corolla for a month or so.

DCM1

TDI
2001 Jetta sedan 5 speed
Can relate 100%, my Dodge has a Southbend clutch and the Jetta clutch feels almost like it’s not connected to anything 😂.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
All my TDIs have had extremely light clutch pedal effort. Had a 2003 1.8T wagon that had a bear trap of a clutch pedal. Not sure what it had for a clutch pressure plate in it (OEM or replacement) but it was world's different. Had no issues with it while I owned it.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I always thought the stock clutch was very light as far as pedal pressure needed to operate.

I eventually got a good deal on a South Bend Stage 3 clutch ( I think it's the daily but will have to research my notes) ..... it is way heavier .... probably 3X the effort BUT I like it .... factory always felt too light to me.

Andrew

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
First clutch I did was a 17-050. I was convinced it was done wrong; pedal was so light. Once off the stands it has worked fine. The VR6 rig in my second one is still lighter than the stock one in the BEW. The LUK 05-101 in the Dodge is a bit heavier, but it is a 13" clutch, not a 9"-er... :) it was also set up to live behind the 600 ft-lb Cummins...

Douglas