How often should I check things with my VAG-COM?

TomTDI

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, Indigo Blue, Grey Leather
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, and listening to the advice of those here, got a VAG-COM and Bentley Manual to go along with it. I've done the EGR mod, easy with the instructions in the FAQ. So, how often should I hook up and check on things? From what I've read, there are codes which the ECM will store which might not throw a CEL, but which if untreated may lead to bigger things down the road. So, What do the gurus here suggest as an interval for checking - every oil change? Every x thousand miles? Every month? Or, just when things don't seem right? Inquiring minds want to know... Thanks!

Tom

MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
This is only my personal thoughts on the matter.
Other members may have better ideas.

Check the VW maintanice guide. It states to clear CODES at something like 20 or 40,000 miles.
So by Offical VW book it is when: 1. Problems happen and they have been fixed or 2. At some of the routine oil changes.

The EGR mod will pay for your VAG COM over time just by keeping the intake cleaner.

So since you have the VAG COM I would check your timing every oil change and for codes.

BTW and different subject.

If you check your timming make sure the engine is hot.
If I start my car cold wait for a few minuites, maybe even drive around a little till it is at the correct temp.
My timming jumps a few decrees on the monitor and keeps moving up and down. ( Constantly)

But if I drive around 10 miles or so and its REALLY warmed up. The timming will be solid and not move on the monitor.
( or if it does is not very often)

By all means USE It it least every oil change.
For me, I have a very fussy 2 month old baby. Vag com help me reduce stress. I tell my wife I need to go check the car.
That gives me a few minites to keep my mind from blowing.

All my wife can do so is say; I need to wash clothes you change the baby dirty diaper

VAG COM IS MUCH MORE FUN

Enjoy it!!

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
For me, I have a very fussy 2 month old baby. Vag com help me reduce stress. I tell my wife I need to go check the car.

All my wife can do so is say; I need to wash clothes you change the baby dirty diaper

VAG COM IS MUCH MORE FUN

Enjoy it!!
This is exactly why there are no codes uncleared in my car for more than a day or so!

TDI-NEVER-DIE

Veteran Member
TDI
bora
Ok guys i don't have the baby excuse...

I do find myself checking for codes and just playing with some settings.. since i purchased VAG i have made several changes from cluster recoding to egr, fixing a short on my rear spoiler, etc. Just alot of fun... I think if you have the tool use it as much as possible...
Good luck with the new TDI

TomTDI

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, Indigo Blue, Grey Leather
MRIBOB, I feel your pain. I have an 18-month-old. He's a really good boy, but every so often, ya just need to go work on your car.

Thanks everyone for your opinions on checking frequency, and the note on VW's code clearing intervals. I think I'll stick to checking them every oil change, unless my son starts yelling!

Tom