How often are people adding DEF

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I have 11,500 miles since the dealer included oil change when they presumably topped off my DEF. I still haven't had to add any though I have to believe I'll see the light come on soon. What have other's consumption been?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I add it when the warning appears on the MFD. It takes the whole 2½ gallon jug, at ~15K miles.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I just go fill mine at the truck stop every oil change. Keeps it simple and no surprise fill ups.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I was thinking after the fix consumption was higher and you weren't able to make it between oil changes to refill it. Sounds like this is not the case.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
What "surprise"? The warning comes on in plenty of time to head to the FLAPS to grab a jug. IIRC, when it first came on it said that I had 1,000 miles to go...

I just go fill mine at the truck stop every oil change. Keeps it simple and no surprise fill ups.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
What "surprise"? The warning comes on in plenty of time to head to the FLAPS to grab a jug. IIRC, when it first came on it said that I had 1,000 miles to go...
Its like $1.70 a gallon at the pump. I just like to do it when i do the servicing.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I didn't make it to the first scheduled oil change before needing to fill (I got the 1000 mile warning before 8500 miles). Put in a 2.5 gallon jug.

According to the paperwork the dealer topped it off at my 10k service which was done at about 10,200. I put in another 2.5 gallons around 18k, again prior to my scheduled service.

I've been Kerma-tuned since ~2,500 miles, not sure how much difference that is made but I'm at 8k between full and the warning, so about 9k between full and whatever the car calls empty.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Mines mostly highway. 30k miles a year. Regen every 220 mile ish for 10 minutes and 1.5 gal of ad blue every oil change but i guess i dont know what itll be now that the phase 2a has been done.

Face It

TDI
2015 GSW DSG TDI S Red/Beige
My AdBlue 1500 mile warning just came on over the weekend.

I've traveled 14,500 miles since I bought the car with 19,500 on it in February. I did have the Phase 2 done at 26,100 miles and not sure if they added any DEF at that time.

Anyway I commute 40 miles a day, 36 miles of it Freeway

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
I think it makes a big difference if you do more city vs highway driving.
i think so too. 1st i added around 10k, then 2nd time added at 18k. i just dump a 2.5gal box when the warning comes down to 500 miles. i drive 90% city and it seems like i idle my way to/from work in the silicon valley traffic (30 miles).

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Its like $1.70 a gallon at the pump. I just like to do it when i do the servicing.
The average cost in the USA is $ 2.74 gal. And has been for the just over two years I've owned my Passat! All along my route from Detroit to Laredo, same prices everytime I buy DEF.

Where do you get it for $ 1.70 gal?:confused:

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
The average cost in the USA is $ 2.74 gal. And has been for the just over two years I've owned my Passat! All along my route from Detroit to Laredo, same prices everytime I buy DEF.

Where do you get it for $ 1.70 gal?:confused:
Kum and go. I thought i paid $1.70 maybe it was $2.70. Will check and post back.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
It's been about 10k when warning of the 1500 for myself. 2.5 gallon jug lasts for another 10k or so.

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2014 BMW 328d, X Drive
My dealer fills it at the 10,000 mile service intervals. Have never had a low level warning before or after the emissions update.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
I've had the low level warning a couple of times, both around 8-9k after the previous oil change. One happened pre-fix, the other happened post-Stage 2. Both times I added a jug and kept motoring. I'm not entirely sure the dealer is filling it up all the way, but it's cheap so I'm not worrying about it. :)

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Sorry if this has been asked before, but if you are getting DEF from a fuel station (where is it coming from a pump), do the pumps have a sensor to shut off supply when the DEF tank is full?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Sorry if this has been asked before, but if you are getting DEF from a fuel station (where is it coming from a pump), do the pumps have a sensor to shut off supply when the DEF tank is full?
NO there is no shutoff sensor. These pumps are used by 18 wheelers with huge DEF tanks.

There are some people who claim that they use the pump to directly fill the tank.

At least the way I do it, I fill a 2 gal can which is ONLY used for DEF.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
NO there is no shutoff sensor. These pumps are used by 18 wheelers with huge DEF tanks.
There are some people who claim that they use the pump to directly fill the tank.
At least the way I do it, I fill a 2 gal can which is ONLY used for DEF.
Er....yup..same type of shutoff as a fuel pump...trucks have a 6 to 15 gallon tank... filling s 2 gallon tank...who cares...def is certainly more fresh than a bottle that has been sitting for linths cause it's $$$.
As to fear of a "water hammer" thump at shutoff....just do t pump at full speed, or use a funnel and a rag to watch...not rocket science here.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
24,350 miles- Pre-ban software (pre-diesel gate) software. This was literally down to the last 100 or so miles! I have no idea what the new sw does, but its irrelevant, since the new software is not going to be seeing my TDI!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
24,350 miles- Pre-ban software (pre-diesel gate) software. This was literally down to the last 100 or so miles! I have no idea what the new sw does, but its irrelevant, since the new software is not going to be seeing my TDI!
So your post is pretty much irrelevant as it has nothing to do with this thread as the OP's car has the fix (at least part one). It was pretty much common knowledge already what pre fix usage was. People are trying to find out what post fix usage is.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

A the truck stops, I've also had to only pre-pay at the cashier and the pump shuts off at that value (it also slows flow as it gets close to the value, similar to pumping fuel).

If you have the DEF warning, it'll easily take 3 gallons, 4 if you're more adventurous. I've also just filled up two 2.5 gal cubes and considered myself good for 25K and toss in a cube once the warning comes on.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Don't know if this is an issue for VW, but BMW had many Adblue tank failures as a consequence of over filling from a pump during dealer service. The adblue would crystallize in the vents causing the tank to fail. I'd be wary of over-filling.