How much more drag from splash guards?

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
I was wondering if anyone has regarded the OEM optional splash guards and sunroof wind deflector as factors of increased drag. I have both on my Golf and was wondering if I'd see any increase in fuel economy if I were to remove either.

NOTE: I have the sunroof tilted up 95% of the time.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Would it help? good chance
Would you notice it at the pump? probably not

IMO mudgaurds look stupid. But I live in the good ole warm south. So I don't have to deal with snow/slush.

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I just removed mine this past Saturday from my 06. I too live in the south and have no need for them.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
I have splashguards on my wagon, I havent noticed any difference in mileage at all. I really can't tell whether using the flip up sunroof hurts mileage, but I am pretty sure in the slid back position it is alot like an open window. I would assume that any break in the body of the car (window, sunroof, fresh air vent) will cause turbulance.

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
Yeah, I bought my Golf used with the splash guards. No rock chips or tar on the sides or rear, but I've been thinking about removing them...aren't too necessary in Southern California. Although I hate it when trucks and SUV drivers down equip their vehicles with splash guards, they kick up so much water, dirt, and gravel...I hope I'm not making a double standard

petec1

I suppose each affect cd in a very small way. I would guess that you might burn an extra gallon or 2 of diesel over the car's lifetime. If they really do help much in preserving the paint job, you would have to be an absolute morooon to remove them for anything other than cosmetic reasons.

As for the roof. It is already a pretty turbulent area. It is a low pressure area so tilting the roof open is a very good way of sucking old air out of the car while drawing new air in through the vents. If the airflow was high enough. It might even work to smooth out the turbulent low pressure area, resulting in a reduced drag. I doubt this is the case, though. I think the worst case is, you have a slight raise in drag over a vehicle with all windows closed.

Problem is if the outside temp is much above 50-70 degrees (dependent on sunshine level), you will want either a window open or the A/C running. If you have to open a window, I find the sunroof open a lot quieter than a window. And it certainly is more efficient than the A/C.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
I just can't believe we are having a discussion on drag from mud flaps!
You guys are such diesel geeks!
Then again, I'm a diesel geek too... but since I refuse to participate in this debate, does this make me less of a diesel geek???

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
Then again, I'm a diesel geek too... but since I refuse to participate in this debate, does this make me less of a diesel geek???
*redheaded woman in formal dress standing under a spotlight*

"You ARE the weakest geek...goodbye."

petec1

I'm becoming a diesel geek and I don't even own one, yet. And thanks to these ludicrous fuel prices and the resulting diesel bull market, I'm afraid that ain't gonna change soon. Guess I'll have to go pull the mudflaps off the SHO. Wait, it don't have any. Maybe I'll lop the side view mirrors off instead. Don't need'em when you're drivin' somethin' as fast as the SHO!

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Maybe I'll lop the side view mirrors off instead. Don't need'em when you're drivin' somethin' as fast as the SHO!
You'll need them when you run out of gas and I zip right by you!

elitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GL Wheat Beige
Why don't we start a company to make lexan egg-shaped bubbles to encase our vehicles (much like they do with those high speed bicycles). That way, we can keep the mud flaps, side mirrors and any other obtrusions on our cars. Think of it as "Jetta under glass" (or Golf, Beetle or Passat)
Just think, you wouldn't need bug deflectors and you wouldn't have to worry about door dings in parking lots either (but you'd probably need at least 2 parking spaces to accomodate that sleek aero design)

Bootre

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI, 2003, Indego Blue
I have heard and seen a few documents that on a vehicle like a Golf or anything with a flat back if you add a upper spoiler to deflect the wind you will reduce drag.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
You would need to check what happens to your balanced field length requirement with the sunroof up and down.

Hate that parasitic drag over a 50' obstacle

mudshark

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon 2005 Northern Green
...aren't too necessary in Southern California.
Yeah, but they make great curb feelers. Maybe I'll take 'em off the left side, the ones on the right are slowly getting worn away to nothing anyhow...

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
I actually asked this exact same question back in 2001 when I got my new golf. The consensus I think was that installing splash guards doesnt really matter.

Alex

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
You guys all crack me up.:D :D

What about smearing the body in cooking grease. Will that help it slide through the air any better? :rolleyes:

No, how about adding a shovel snout like a '69 Charger Daytona?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Umm... putting a "Crisco" sticker on the back will give you just as much advantage, and you don't have to put any grease on!

:D :D :D :D

Kingman

TDI
2003, Jetta, Red
Muggins said:
You guys all crack me up.:D :D

What about smearing the body in cooking grease. Will that help it slide through the air any better? :rolleyes:

Better off putting the grease in the tank. Cheaper too.:D