How Much Longer Must I Wait for a 2015 Sportwagen.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Soon to be a first time TDI Sportwagen owner. Can't wait until we can finally get one. I've been a long time Ford owner but they have nothing to compete especially with no diesel options here in the states. The last VW we owned was my wife's 98 Beetle and I really hope this is a much better experience.

Anyway, I found this video from Canada dealer showing the German spec SW they have and they show the car and compare what's different from what we'll get in US and Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtdw6-g6HTY

Sticka

TDI
Waiting for 2015 Diesel sportwagen
I know. What kind of advantage would the company have from refusing to release hard dates? I need a new vehicle by May, and if I don't get some hard information (i.e. better than "coming soon" or "should be here in a few months"), I'm going to have to move on and find a different car. Please, VW, take my money!
I gave up waiting and purchased something else. I will look at the Spotwagen again when I buy my next vehicle.

I received emails from two dealers out of the blue today that told me the vehicle would be available in the Spring.
Did they happen to mention which year? :p

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
VW noted in their January 2015 sales report that both the Golf R and the Golf Sportwagen will be added "later this quarter". That gives them about 7-1/2 weeks, if they stick to their top secret schedule.

I think it's frustrating for a lot of people that the Golf R, which is also not yet released, as been given to anybody who claims to be a journalist for test drives. Detailed specs have gone to the press, and the car is all over the lousy VW website. It was also available for pre-order, for which Volkswagen also issued a press release. The only information that anyone has on the Sportwagen, which is coming out around the same time, is a order guide that someone managed to unofficially procure. They'll probably sneak the wagon into showrooms at night on March 31, not advertise it, and then pull it two years later claiming Americans don't like station wagons.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since VW has had a Jetta wagon in the US since 2001 (except for '06-08), I think it'll stick around for a while.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
Dealers are mailing postcards out for the new Sportwagen now; I received one from a dealer yesterday saying it's coming.....

dcc

Veteran Member
Dealers are mailing postcards out for the new Sportwagen now; I received one from a dealer yesterday saying it's coming.....
Hahaha...that doesn't tell us much about availability timeline does it?
I too am waiting for some news release about availability :)

Drowningape

TDI
None yet
I can't remember where, but at one of the recent car shows the VW rep said that the Sportwagen had been in production in the Mexico plant since mid December. I assume we'll see a big press event prior to launch where pricing will be announced.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Soon to be a first time TDI Sportwagen owner. Can't wait until we can finally get one. I've been a long time Ford owner but they have nothing to compete especially with no diesel options here in the states. The last VW we owned was my wife's 98 Beetle and I really hope this is a much better experience.

Anyway, I found this video from Canada dealer showing the German spec SW they have and they show the car and compare what's different from what we'll get in US and Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtdw6-g6HTY
I traded a 2000 beetle in on my 2010 JSW. It is a completely different car. Much nicer interior and a lot more power. You won't be disappointed.

Jay03

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta, 2012 TDI JSW, 2015 TDI GSW SEL
I sat in a GSW last night at the Portland auto show. It is really nice, roomy, and very sporty looking.
Let me guess.. Candy white? SEL sith lighting and drivers assistance? I did not got to the Portland auto show but I looked at that car a few weeks back at a dealership in portland where it was staged for the show. Very nice! If they come out without any hitches in the first half year or so that will be my next car.

Kev1nG

TDI
RSX-S
USA info now available

Looks like I'll be getting a 6spd TDI SEL since the 18"s and sport seats means a lot to me...

Drowningape

TDI
None yet
I've watched a few reviews, and the consensus seems to be that it's a bit "meh" compared to the wagon. The SportsVan trades the length of the wagon for vertical space for both passengers and cargo. The styling is a little fusty, the suspension is a bit soft, and the car is underpowered in its common European engine options. I suspect that the power issue would be addressed for North America if it ever came here, which it won't.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
I've watched a few reviews, and the consensus seems to be that it's a bit "meh" compared to the wagon. The SportsVan trades the length of the wagon for vertical space for both passengers and cargo. The styling is a little fusty, the suspension is a bit soft, and the car is underpowered in its common European engine options. I suspect that the power issue would be addressed for North America if it ever came here, which it won't.
For once, Im glad a euro model wont be coming here. That thing is fugly!

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
As an older guy I would like the higher roofline for ease of entry and exit.
I would also want the thing to be the length of the sportwagen.
Not a big as a SUV or truck, but bigger than the Golf or rather taller and a little longer.

Drowningape

TDI
None yet
http://youtu.be/SBMi98P5Ti8 These reviewers looooove everything, so the fact that she's a bit lukewarm on the Golf SV should tell us something. That said, if this came to the US as a TDI, I would likely consider it. There's a hole in the tall wagon market that the 1st Gen Toyota matrix filled that would be well served by a non crossover.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
My other station wagon is a 1990 Chevy Suburban that will take a 4 X 8 sheet flat on the floor with the back seatss folded. I like the carrying space, but not the mileage or the size for driving around town. If it were not for the ability to carry pretty big things my JSW could make three + trips to Lowe's for the same fuel cost.
I would like a sport wagom a little taller with a little more rear seat legroom. When we put the granddaughters car seat in either the passengers seat has to go forward ar we put the seat in the center rear and the feet go on the console (the current choice).
My wife doen't care for the lower roof line on the Golf we tired out a while ago.
We are probably a few years away from replacing our 2009 JSW TDI DSG (225,000 miles), but I am looking for what we might like.
I really don't care for the wasted resources of the SUVs snd trucks for my needs.
At one time we needed a minivan, but not currently. The JSW serves nicely with the above exceptions.

Requiescat In Pace
Burlington, NJ {35 minutes from Phila Int"l
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
Well fellow TDI club members.

I have news for us that I received from my VW rep today.

Here is what I have learned

There will be an initial launch volume but I’m not sure how that will be determined. (Maybe 1-2 per dealer)

Pricing should be available….soon? Probably month-end pricing guide update.

I expect it to be on the ground next month.

Note: Diesel ETA April – gas will be first.

Drowningape

TDI
None yet
Thanks for the update Chris! I don't get VW logic though. When you sell mostly diesel wagons, a why do you launch with the petrol wagon? I'm excited for the wagon, and I hope the pricing is good.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not real happy about loosing about an inch in height. I want something easier to get in and out of, not harder. Guess I'll wait for the 4motion or the 2017 Tiggy, if either come with a diesel.

kensic

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
3 questions.

1) Only SEL gets roof rails?
2) are the sport seats THAT better looking/supportive then non-sport seats?
3) what about homelink? (gate/garage opening)

looks like my trim is SE with lighting package.

margzz

TDI
TBA
3 questions.
1) Only SEL gets roof rails?
2) are the sport seats THAT better looking/supportive then non-sport seats?
3) what about homelink? (gate/garage opening)
looks like my trim is SE with lighting package.
About the roof rails, Im pretty sure it just means that the other models get the black plastic rails. The SEL gets chrome

kensic

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
Well fellow TDI club members.

I have news for us that I received from my VW rep today.

Here is what I have learned

There will be an initial launch volume but I’m not sure how that will be determined. (Maybe 1-2 per dealer)

Pricing should be available….soon? Probably month-end pricing guide update.

I expect it to be on the ground next month.

Note: Diesel ETA April – gas will be first.
Chris,

SE shows at $27,995 MSRP, lighting package is $995.

is it possible for a dealership to do $30k out the door. (tax is 8.75%)

kensic

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
What is the dollar amount between invoice and msrp typically?
from the pdf pricing that chris sent to poeople, this document was missing of wagon's pricing "TBA"

looking at the other models, i have to guess 1200-1500$ for the wagon