How much ATF should I buy when replacing Solenoids on a 09A

Eric_Seeger

TDI
2013 JSW
Hey guys,

I just ordered my solenoid kit from Cobra, now i want to pick up some ATF before i start the job. How much fluid should I buy? I've seen that drain/fill usually requires 3-4 quarts. But I'm assuming that pulling the solenoids will release more fluid.

Also, is there a good aftermarket fluid that folks recomend. I was thinking about Castrol Import ATF, but I'm not exactly sure if it meets the standard for this transmission.

Thanks!

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
In Bentley manual says replace 09A transmission fluid need 2.5 liters . If took out the solenoid pan it should need more fluid. Some people said Japanese Idemitsu ATF can be substitute. The 09A trans fluid OEM parts number G052990A2. Hope can help some.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I used the Valvoline high mileage ATF, it had the VW spec on it, and worked fine. Bought 5 quarts and I think I only used 4. It's been a minute. You don't lose that much pulling the solenoids off. Just don't pull the valve body off.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, many have reported improved shifting using Valvoline, Syncromesh. But this thread is for a 2013. Maybe the same, but I'd search over in the model specific forum or even the fluids and lube forum.

Eric_Seeger

TDI
2013 JSW
Yes, many have reported improved shifting using Valvoline, Syncromesh. But this thread is for a 2013. Maybe the same, but I'd search over in the model specific forum or even the fluids and lube forum.
Good point. Sorry I didn't clarify: I also have a 2004 BEW with 5 speed auto. It's just not in my signature.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Eric,

I've replaced the solenoids on two of my BEW/09A TDIs. I used factory fluid on the first (2005 BEW Jetta wagon) and Royal Purple on the second (2004 BEW Jetta sedan). I think I had 4 or 5 quarts of fluid on hand when replacing the solenoids.

Eric

wagoneer

TDI
2005 Wagon 1.9
Eric,

I've replaced the solenoids on two of my BEW/09A TDIs. I used factory fluid on the first (2005 BEW Jetta wagon) and Royal Purple on the second (2004 BEW Jetta sedan). I think I had 4 or 5 quarts of fluid on hand when replacing the solenoids.

Eric
I have a not shifting from first to second until well warmed up issue. I was told replacing the solenoids would not fix this, its an 05 wagon with the 09a tranny, would you encoarage me to go this route? Being an older member my wrenching days are numbered so I would need to pay to play, I thank you for any help/advice I am in San Francisco

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You should get some replies here, but you may to research this at KansasCityTDI.com, member CoolAirVW is deep into all things automatic.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I have a not shifting from first to second until well warmed up issue. I was told replacing the solenoids would not fix this, its an 05 wagon with the 09a tranny, would you encoarage me to go this route? Being an older member my wrenching days are numbered so I would need to pay to play, I thank you for any help/advice I am in San Francisco
Change your solenoids. The 1-2 no shift then slam into 2nd is typical symptom of failed solenoids. I use Idemitsu Type J fluid in my 09a transmission. I drain and refill every 10k-15k miles.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Good point. Sorry I didn't clarify: I also have a 2004 BEW with 5 speed auto. It's just not in my signature.
I was gonna say... the 09A sounded like something in a BEW. I found my first 02J in a BEW at a junkyard, and when we start seeing warm weather again, it's replacing the 09A in my mom's car.

Eric_Seeger

TDI
2013 JSW
My son and i did this job last week, and our car is shifting properly again. I bought the kit from Cobra Transmission. It was $215 in parts plus fluid.

It took us a few hours to take everything off the front end of the car. Then it took a few hours to replace the solenoids. and then a few hours to put it all back together.It's not rocket science, and there lots of DIYs.

My advice:
  1. take lots of pics as you disassemble things.
  2. Replace the solenoids one at a time
  3. I measured the ATF that came out and it was about 4 1/4 quarts

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Eric,

Excellent! Thanks for posting back on your experience on swapping out the solenoids. It's not complicated, just takes time and as you said, do one at a time.

Eric