How many of us are KEEPING our Mk7 TDI ?

joesmoe3

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
My wonderful spouse insisted we keep the car when the question arose, so we had the modifications done and accepted the check for the estimated added depreciation. As time goes by, the local dealerships seem to have lost track of the TDIs, and the extended warranty that went with the modification. Even so, one of our daughters has taken to the car in a big way, and wants us to give it to her. In any case, it is staying "in the family" for the foreseeable future.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I don't see ever getting rid of mine. Got a good deal on it, not paid off because 0% interest, and they aren't too common. Not to say that's adding any value, but it's cool. Lots of mods on mine that I'll never get the money for unless someone here buys it I guess. But mileage is great and it's plenty fast for me. Mine is a stop sale car, bought new in in 2017 but not going anywhere.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
No reason to get rid of mine, it just keeps on going day after day with no issues and it is fun to drive and easy to park. The only reason I would ever see to get rid of it might be to downsize from 4 vehicles and only 2 drivers but each of our vehicles serves a purpose right now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have to keep it, because where else will I find a diesel Wagon with a manual transmission?

Bought mine in April of '17, leftover new car at a local dealer. Now it has 15K miles on it, I clearly don't drive it often. It's my replacement for my MKIV Wagon when it finally goes to its final resting ground.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I’ll be getting a ~2026 R the minute my warranty is up…well, I’ll also be eyeballing the new I6 AWD Mazda 6 too.

I’ve thought about keeping my MK7 and doing engine mods after the warranty is up. But meh.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Our Model 3 was totaled in April. Insurance paid out more than what we owed, and in fact much more than its purchase price. We have a replacement on order but no firm delivery date yet, still 7-9 weeks out. I wouldn't mind an Mk8 R, but they won't be available soon enough and the Mk8 GTI isn't different enough (in a way that matters for me) from my Mk7 TDI. Another VW isn't an easy sell as it will be my wife's daily driver.

In the meantime, I might pull the trigger on a cheap used Fiat 500 Abarth, haha. Test drove a 500 Sport, slow, buzzy, unrefined, tiny... but it was a hoot to drive at 35 mph. The Abarth should be the same, but at 45-50 mph :LOL:.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
A 500 Abarth has also been on my to-buy list for how cheap and fun they are. Specifically to scratch my motorcycle itch.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I haven't even considered how it compares to a motorcycle, owing to the fact that I have zero desire to be outside while driving. But maybe that's what I like about it, haha.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
My previous TDI was 13 years old and still going strong when it got written off, so here's hoping for my 2015 wagon. We replaced my wife's SUV last year (almost had her talked into a Touraeg TDI), so mine has to last now.

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
in a strange way it is the car i am most attached to and we have an interesting collection. I can't see myself parting ways with it. Being a manual the value stays strong

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I had a B5 wagon that lasted 315,000 miles.
Currently drive a 2015 GSW TDi with a 6 sp manual. Apparently there aren't many 6 speed MT GSW's. Is there a reliable resource somewhere that can give us an idea of the current prices?

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
What 🤏 IBW said . Same situation, same color , now at 22,000.
In the Northeast, it’s never seen Salt / Winter Roads .
Stretch

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Once an electric car that suites our needs hits the market our Alltrack or Passat will hit the road. Hopefully VW will offer such a car, but Id4 isn't hitting enough highlights for us to be remotely interested. Id.space vizzion needs to happen with a 300 mile range.

Prob have 2-3 more years before we start seriously looking at a new ride. The wife's been in a NMS TDI since 2012.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I have to keep it, because where else will I find a diesel Wagon with a manual transmission?
In my driveway. :D

Really liked my GSW, but the DSG - as good as it is - just isn't a manual. Then I came across a Highline (SEL) GSW with the manual transmission - and (don't tell the seller), but I would've paid pretty much any price.

Spent a good chunk of the last month transferring mods (folding mirrors, Virtual Cockpit, MIB2, LED taillights, LOTS of coding on the lights) from the DSG car over to the 6MT and adding more mods (direct TPMS, Blind spot monitor, parking sensors for Park Pilot); now just waiting on a wiring connector / harness to do the ABS pump swap so I can get pACC and Park Pilot up and working so I can get it to just where I want it.

Then...keep it forever. 100K km on it, (west coast) zero rust, feels great on the road....and I think it might have even been tuned. It will really take off when I ask it to go-go.

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
I bought mine from my son when he was sent overseas and won't be back stateside for probably 3-4 years. I was supposed to sell it for him, and I did, its such a fun little car I decided to buy it for myself, my wife questioned why we needed another car, but she drives it often too.
He says he'll buy it back upon his return... we'll see.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
In my driveway. :D

Really liked my GSW, but the DSG - as good as it is - just isn't a manual. Then I came across a Highline (SEL) GSW with the manual transmission - and (don't tell the seller), but I would've paid pretty much any price.

Spent a good chunk of the last month transferring mods (folding mirrors, Virtual Cockpit, MIB2, LED taillights, LOTS of coding on the lights) from the DSG car over to the 6MT and adding more mods (direct TPMS, Blind spot monitor, parking sensors for Park Pilot); now just waiting on a wiring connector / harness to do the ABS pump swap so I can get pACC and Park Pilot up and working so I can get it to just where I want it.

Then...keep it forever. 100K km on it, (west coast) zero rust, feels great on the road....and I think it might have even been tuned. It will really take off when I ask it to go-go.
Was the Highline 6M just as rare a bird in Canada as it was in the States?

I think you had the beige leather interior in your DSG GSW? Was that rare in Canada?

My priorities were: Silk Blue w/ beige interior, 6M, and either an SE w/ lighting package or an SEL (which it turned out was never available in beige). I couldn't find an SE with LP in that configuration and had to do without it, which I've regretted ever since despite having a set of great-looking but average-performing Osram LEDrivings.

Last edited:

Elementry

TDI
2015 Comfortline GSW, 6m,tdi
Favourite car I have ever owned and doubtful it leaves me until I am unable to drive. 6’4, 230lbs, roomy, quiet and fabulous mileage. Drove big trucks in the forest industry for 30+ years but the Silver Slipper is my first tdi and daily driver. Never had any issues except maintenance since I purchased it in 2019. Tungsten Silver 2015 Comfortline Sportwagen, 6 spd with 102,000 km(Canadian spec car)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Was the Highline 6M just as rare a bird in Canada as it was in the States?
Pretty much, I'd say. In all the Mk7 TDI wagons I've poked my head into (granted, not a lot - much certainly every one I've seen on my local dealer's lot over the years), I've seen a 6MT in exactly two of them - this one I now own, and the one mentioned below.
I think you had the beige leather interior in your DSG GSW? Was that rare in Canada?
Previous car was *exactly* the same as this one - same color paint, same Highline / SEL black interior - with the exception of DSG vs. 6MT.
My priorities were: Silk Blue w/ beige interior, 6M, and either an SE w/ lighting package or an SEL (which it turned out was never available in beige).
Funny you should mention that, as the *only* other M7 GSW TDI 6MT I've seen was exactly that spec: Silk blue, beige leather, Highline / SEL (which included the Lighting Package) - which was also, by far, my preferred choice once I saw the order options.
Only problem was that it had 60K km and dealer was still asking $34.9K 🤯 (MSRP new was $38.9K, IIRC).

Just took first mini-excursion with it - 500km round-trip and got 5.3L/100km with a bike hanging off the back and four people in the car. And got the wireless CarPlay dongle finally working - and while a little slow to respond to steering wheel input, everything else is surprisingly good.