How many MKIV ALH wagons were made and of those how many were 5 speeds?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Pretty much asks it all in the title. I have heard some very low number..

anyone have the actual production numbers? And what dates those were?

Thanks
peter

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I was wondering the same thing about the BEW 5-speed.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
This is one of the few posts on Fred's that I've seen with partial numbers:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
I want to think the 02 ALH 5 Speed Wagon is the rarest ;)

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
I think my white on black gls wagon is one of the rarest color combination.... as well as the Indigo Blue with the grey leather...

funny, Ive never come across a silver 2003 or any other year except in the junk yard. which was incredibly sad as it was a manual transmission one as well.. it was towed after getting a ticket.. GLS leather with heated seats... at least that interior is now in my white 03 wagon..

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
The wagons I see the most are Reflex Silver, Black/Black Magic, and Galactic? Blue, followed less so by TR, Candy White, and Indigo Blue.

I used to see Storm/Wheat Beige monthly, but those are disappearing. Baltic always seemed a bit rare.

Only a few times a year do I see the wagon equivalent of Anthracite Blue (Blue Graphite?), and of course, Spice Red.

I've seen 1 that was painted Alaska Green, but I think that was sedan only from the factory, and only 2 or 3 that were Blue Lagoon (which should have ended in 01, but maybe Germany painted some more wagons that came in as 2002s?).

There also seems to be some geographic bias, as some colors seem to pop up more frequently by region, but that's entirely anecdotal.

Most of the time "rare" or "unicorn" doesn't quite apply (and at least not yet for the MkIV), but everyone has a different definition.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
My wagon is silver with cloth black, originally an auto, and the friend of my wife's car I help take care of is a 2003 silver wagon, auto with Grey cloth interior. Oddly, the latter was originally out of SoCal cause the title was never transferred. Mine was out of Midwest Washington. Both still stellar cars to this day.

What I'd consider rare, my friends now ex wife's car I helped him fix up, late 2001 wagon, black with the yellow tan cloth interior/auto. What an odd car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm betting the black car is an '02. There weren't any '01 TDI Wagons in NA. Probably an early build.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
FWIW, even when these were new, the wagons seemed to be most commonly equipped ALH+manual. The rare ones were the gassers, and the rarest one (as I have only ever even seen ONE) is a VR6 wagon. And that ONE I saw, I actually walked past in a parking lot and noticed the VR6 tag on its hatch.... I stopped and walked around it and noted it had 16" wheels, big front brakes, so I took a pic of the VIN tag and checked when I got back to the shop.... yep, natural born VR6 automatic GLS wagon w/ lux. Never saw another.

I think the common sense and utility a wagon offers couples with the same part of the brain that would want the diesel and the manual gearbox. The diesel wagons were SO popular, that right up until Dieselgate's fecal fan event, Volkswagen was considering making the TDI the sole engine option for the G/J wagons here, as the gassers were just not selling. I've only seen a few gasser A5 wagons, too.

I also had a customer once with a 2000 Jetta sedan, GLS, withOUT lux (so, steelies and no sunroof), with a VR6 and automatic. Only one of those I've ever seen, too. Most VR6 sedans were fully tarted GLS or GLX.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Didn't the B4V have a TDI as the base engine, VR6 as the optional one? I know there were 4 cylinder gas engines in B3s (two different ones, if I recall correctly) but they dropped the gas 4 cyl with the B4. That combo still makes sense.

As I've mentioned before, my ALH wagon is the only one I've ever seen as a GL, crank windows, manual mirrors, rear window/mirror heater switch on the dash. It's been a good setup: no window regulator failures.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
'06 TDI Wagons we sold in Canada only, none in the US.
Not sure how correct that statement is..... I believe I once read that some '05s were sold as a carryover into '06 up here, but there wasn't really any '06 Wagon that I'm aware of.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Based on what you write I think it is correct. Just like there weren't '07 Jetta Sedan TDIs. But there was an extra production run in late '06 of the "diesel edition" Jettas, some of which were sold in '07. They were '06s, even though some had '07 owners manuals in them.

oilhammer

TDI
Partway through the '97 model year, the TDI became the "base" engine for the B4 Passats here, yes. They dropped the slow selling (only ever seen a handful) ABA 2.0L gas engine. The AAA VR6 remained an option... also pretty rare.

Most every 1997 B4 I have ever come across was a TDI. Probably 90%. 1996 B4s were probably 70% TDI. Which is pretty impressive, considering they were all manuals which for the US is taboo, and by that time the B4 was really a pretty homely car that was on the opposite end of anything flashy. Again, something somewhat taboo for American buyers. So they didn't sell a lot of them, but they sold every one they brought in.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
FWIW, even when these were new, the wagons seemed to be most commonly equipped ALH+manual. The rare ones were the gassers, and the rarest one (as I have only ever even seen ONE) is a VR6 wagon. And that ONE I saw, I actually walked past in a parking lot and noticed the VR6 tag on its hatch.... I stopped and walked around it and noted it had 16" wheels, big front brakes, so I took a pic of the VIN tag and checked when I got back to the shop.... yep, natural born VR6 automatic GLS wagon w/ lux. Never saw another.

I think the common sense and utility a wagon offers couples with the same part of the brain that would want the diesel and the manual gearbox. The diesel wagons were SO popular, that right up until Dieselgate's fecal fan event, Volkswagen was considering making the TDI the sole engine option for the G/J wagons here, as the gassers were just not selling. I've only seen a few gasser A5 wagons, too.

I also had a customer once with a 2000 Jetta sedan, GLS, withOUT lux (so, steelies and no sunroof), with a VR6 and automatic. Only one of those I've ever seen, too. Most VR6 sedans were fully tarted GLS or GLX.
I have come across a VR6 auto GLX wagon, fully decked out with leather, wood trim, climatronic, and 16 alloys. Sad part is that it was sitting in a junkyard. Even sadder is that it was absolutely in mint condition. I'm not a gasser VW fan but that was a tragedy to see. No idea what caused the car to end up there.

oilhammer

TDI
With a VR6 and an 01M, there are really only two guesses. Timing chains or transmission. Either would total the car cost wise.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I've seen a total of 3 vr6 wagons at the wrecking yard, two autos and one manual.

As for the black wagon, title was listed as an 01, if I remember right the manufacturer date was July of 2001? Can't go looking at car for obvious reasons, but it was immo2 with the 2 wire glow plug harness as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
July '01 would be an '02, most likely. Probably someone made a mistake on the title.

oilhammer

TDI
The real early 2002s still had the two channel glow system. I've run into that one before.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Over the years, I owned 2 MKIV VR6 wagons, both were AT's. (also had a 1.8/5 spd at the same time)

1 Blue GLX/1 Blatic ?GLS?
1 grey leather/1 tan cloth
1 Climatronic/1 not
1 rain sensor auto-dim/1 not
1 all doors worked/1 only 3 doors worked
1 donated/1 lost to a cinder block in the road