How many miles on your B5.5 TDi?

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Hey Ya'll,

I'm curious to know how many miles you have put on your B5.5. Part of the reason I bought mine is because I drive a lot of miles a year and I suspect many of you do the same. I bought my B5.5V 3 months ago with 94K and since then have added 10K so I stand at a paltry 104K miles. I plan on driving mine until the wheels fall off but I want to know where we are on proveing the longevity of these automobiles.

Since this is the picture/spec thread you could post a pic as well.

Anyone else have this curiosity?

BTW, I know all you B4 drivers are dying to gloat about the multiple thousands of miles on yours, but start your own thread please.

Diesel on,

mv420xx

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought my 05 passat may of 2007 with around 50+k. i now have 78k and have had it for 1 yr so far. getting the timing belt done next weekend.

Last edited:

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
You may want to post this in the Passat B5 section to get more replies.

gundog_62

TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI Silver
I bought my 05 Passat TDI GLS in May 2005. I now have close to 65K. My daily drive of 39 miles 1 way to work yields 41 to 42mpg on the trip computer. Diesel here in KC MO is $4.55 per gal.
Jim

Last edited:

2000m2

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Bought my '05 B5.5 GLS in Sept '07 with 55k on it and now have 70k

JerryKib

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2001, black; Passat SW, 2004, blue
Our 2004 B5.5 wagon has slightly less than 30,000 miles after almost 4 years (since new).

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Picked up my (B5.5) wagon two days ago. The first owner put on 137,000 miles in 29 months.
Me? I'm just starting.

sabaranski

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. See signature.

I didn't want to miss the milestone today, so I had to resort to my iPhone.

As of this writing, the car has 100,049 miles. Might not be a big deal for some, but that's a fairly significant milestone for me.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
only 36k on my 05. Warranty is up now and it will get more miles and the NB will sit more. i would like to see some hi milers to know its as reliable as the ALH. seems like the oil pump chain is the weak link though.

ChuckHanson

TDI
2005 Passat Stationwagon
2005 Passat TDI

Bought mine new in 2005. Just crossed 70,000 miles. Still have original tires and brakes. All routine service by Gossett VW. Most mileage between Memphis and Chicago. Only breakdown maintenance was the brake light switch recall and now a front daytime running light. I get 40 - 42 MPG on the highway. I am tickled with the car.

Chuck Hanson
Memphis, TN

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
jayb79 said:
i would like to see some hi milers ..{snip}... seems like the oil pump chain is the weak link though.
I'll be turning 107K soon. Lug Nut just bought a high-mileage one. I know there's some more out there, I've spied some stats in sigs in my searching old threads.

As far as the oil-pump chain balancer issue, I haven't done the survey yet (gotta dig out the engine build date) and I fell like I've just gotten to know the engine as it's my first diesel, but the stats show it's a very small percentage that are having this problem. Not to say that we shouldn't be concerned, but don't panic, the sky's not falling. I try to give my warm engine a good listen every now and again.

I wish I had a recording of a bad one, but that's for the other thread.

On a side note, does anyone have the figure on how many B5.5 TDI's were imported to north america?

Diesel on,

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
KALaBenne said:
On a side note, does anyone have the figure on how many B5.5 TDI's were imported to north america?

Diesel on,

The chart I made has this information. Its a rare bird.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Leicaman,

Thanks for the info, I just saw those numbers broken down a little more than that as I re-read the Oil Chain Issue thread. Don't remember which page but early in the thread.

TDI-Cruiser

TDI
Passat
Got it with 24K wife drove till 42K now im offically the new driver. Have had no issues up to now except a stiff trunk fix under warrenty, bad lighter fixed under warrenty, and a break recall. But plan to drive it till I or it dies...

Got a 08 TDI jetta wagon on order....

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
152,000 mi.

The wife's 05 Passat TDI now has 152+k on the odo now. Bought it used with 14,000 on the clock.:) We'll keep it until it dies. We both burn the highways in our work. My 00 NB TDI has 322+k. Holding on for 500. Funny, her trunk is stiff too, but way past warrenty.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
KALaBenne said:
my trunk's not stiff but the seal sticks sometimes, gotta figure out what to condition it with.
Don't use a silicone spray. That causes the seals to deteriorate. I use the krytox lubricant from my Eos to do the seals on my other vehicles. It is designed to keep the seals from deteriorating and to stay flexible.

The part number is G 052 172.A1 for a 30ml bottle. It is expensive (~$45) but a little bit goes a long ways. Or you can get it from a GM dealer. Krytox is the DuPont trade name. For more info check here http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2819603

Tips on how to apply http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3087297

As for "trunk stiffness," in my case, the dealer actually replaced the hinges and that solved the problem.

Forgot to add one thing - do not use the Krytox on any "fuzzy" seals - the ones that feel like velvet. The Eos in particular has one underneath the rear window.

Last edited:

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
05 Passat wagon

Hi guys- I guess I have lower miles than most of you guys-53k. I also have a 98 NB that was purchased new, now at 180k. Because of better mileage-I use the Beetle when both are around.
I really love the Passat wagon. It's a GLS with the 17" wheels. They make all the difference in the world for the looks of the car. I managed to find a guy selling 2 scratched ones on ebay-so I cosmetically repaired them and changed my steel wheel 16" spare to a 17".
It's amazing how many people have tried to buy the car out of the blue. Even Rocketchip Jeff wanted to buy it from me at a gtg in Jax. Things like that make me feel good about my purchase!
Most of you guys talk about high mpg and how it gets better with break-in. I get 29 around town but I guess my highway speed is a bit to high for good mpg-I drive almost 80 and usually get around 34. This is pretty much the same mpg since day 1. Maybe it isn't broken yet:D.
One more thing-I can't tell you how much better this thing runs now that it's been RC2'd. It's well worth the trip if you get a chance.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
OWR084,

Thanks for the info on the door and sunroof seals, I knew VW had to use something different. I'll have to find some.

Thanks,

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
KALaBenne said:
OWR084,

Thanks for the info on the door and sunroof seals, I knew VW had to use something different. I'll have to find some.

Thanks,
Forgot to add one thing - do not use the Krytox on any "fuzzy" seals - the ones that feel like velvet. The Eos in particular has one underneath the rear window.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Bought used with 5X,000 miles on it in November 07.

Just rolled past 70k and so far so good.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
KALaBenne said:
Leicaman,

Thanks for the info, I just saw those numbers broken down a little more than that as I re-read the Oil Chain Issue thread. Don't remember which page but early in the thread.
I did a search previously about the production numbers in this thread and leicaman led me to passatworld.com member traubenberg who had all the info on production numbers of all 2000-2005 Passats sold in the United States.

Here is what he found for me....

2004 - 2005 Sedan GL =1137 GLS = 7605 Total = 8742
2004 - 2005 Wagon GL = 477 GLS = 3842 Total = 4319

Total 2004 - 2005 TDI production =13061

2004 Sedan GL = 263 GLS = 2075 Total = 2338
2004 Wagon GL = 96 GLS = 787 Total = 883

Total 2004 TDI production = 3221

2005 Sedan GL = 874 GLS = 5530 Total = 6404
2005 Wagon GL = 381 GLS = 3055 Total = 3436

Total 2005 TDI production = 9840

.....................................................................................................................

BTW - I have over 49,000 miles on my Wagon and just love this car!

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Interesting as I got the information from Traubenberg if I recall correcty....mmmm. Still the B5.5 is not exactly common, although I saw another last night....Black with Tan leatherette. Oh and I just ticked over 48k on mine. I got mine with 20miles on the clock.

Last edited:

lundervold

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Bought the 2005 Passat TDI new in September 2004.

It has over 152K miles currently.

Turbo blew apart at 68K, engine was replaced under warranty. I drive a minimum of an hour and a half each way to work and back.