How many miles can a timing belt go ?

HOw many miles have you gone before changing out the timing belt?

• Less than 50K miles I'm Ultra paranoid ;-)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I replaced a "timing belt" at less that 10k miles (maybe not even 3k miles?).

It was on a newly purchased wagon for the daughter. I didn't trust the PO. Turns out that the belt itself was new as was the water pump. The PO didn't really give the story (he was someone that no rookie should ever buy a car from; I figured that, along with all the great minds here, can pretty much deal with anything on these cars). Anyway, I suspect the water pump was crapping out (no real signs of any other trouble- compression is great; injector balance is good) and the guy slapped in a new water pump and belt. Not sure if the tensioner was new, but the idler rollers were clearly NOT: significantly rusted, due to water pump leaking. When I changed the TB on my car (don't know how many miles it had since previous change- guessing maybe 80k miles, so can't really vote on IT), the top roller was very dry and would likely have been the part that would have failed first.

One other thing to note here, and that there's other stuff happening there at that end of the engine that will affect the TB and should be looked at when doing the TB. On the daughter's wagon the cam seal was leaking, not real bad, but it clearly needed replacing (which I did): another reason why deciding to re-do everything was a good idea. There's also the crank seal to be concerned with. Enough oil loss with either and it's going to affect the life of your belt: will be one of the lower probability things that will result in the belt itself being the TB component that goes out first.

Does anyone know what VAG's instructions are for replacing water pumps at TB changes? Seems that it's not consistent (dealers may or may not replace- wife's car's TB [PO] was done by a VAG dealer and they didn't replace the WP).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW does not recommend changing the water pump at the timing belt change. It's become common practice because of the relatively low cost of the pump and the high labor cost if it needs to be replaced between TB changes.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
continuing with a diversion. has anyone had a coolant pump fail on a 2009-2014 cr car?

I know there have been a few leakers on the 2015s.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Indeed, VW does not recommend changing the water pump. Neither they include it into any of their "kits".

When I had my previous PD, the manual even recommended replacing the tensioning roller every second timing belt change! The TB interval was 120'000 km, tensioning roller was due every 240'000 km. Pure nonsense, I'd say, as you can feel with your hands that after 100+k kms the tensioning roller bearings feel a bit exhausted (especially if you have brand new one on the side to compare).

Anyway, keeping on the topic. On an "early" PD engine (crank pulley p/n ends with 263 F), I'd feel safe pushing the replacement till 140'000 km mark. On the "later" one (crank pulley p/n ends with 263 H) probably till 180'000 km.

I haven't owned an ALH, nor seen many of them so no idea how they wear and how hard are they on the components.

My current 1.6 TDI-CR has got timing belt replacement interval of 210'000 km (yeah, you read it right). However, the belt is more narrow than it used to be on the PDs.
Real world experience shows that 1.6 TDIs start leaking their water pumps (complete bearing failure with lots of free play) at 160'000 km - 180'000 km interval. So if you are replacing a water pump anyway, there's no point leaving the old TB and the related components.

We have seen a couple TDI-CRs with 210k-215k kms on the clock which had their TBs replaced. Well, if you ask me, I'd say the belts looked like they are on their (very) borrowed time.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I voted 86 to 99K; I changed mine @ 97+, 8.5 years old. All the original parts looked good, but changed them all. Replacement parts came from a trusted vendor here as well as a contributor to this thread.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Im suprised this post hasnt had one of those people pop up who say they have 250k miles or so and just plan on driving till it breaks and scrap the car.
I wouldnt go much over 100k tops.
I'd say that I would be in that boat, but my TB only has 40k or so miles on it. My head gasket is shot and my DMF is rattling really bad. I bought a new car because I didn't want to put more money into my Jetta. I figured it wouldn't last a month but it just keeps going. I'm seriously considering changing the oil and seeing if it can make it through the winter.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I'd say that I would be in that boat, but my TB only has 40k or so miles on it. My head gasket is shot and my DMF is rattling really bad. I bought a new car because I didn't want to put more money into my Jetta. I figured it wouldn't last a month but it just keeps going. I'm seriously considering changing the oil and seeing if it can make it through the winter.
Laying on the sarcasm thick I see

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
As I've said before, stretching a timing belt change is like watching a light bulb to see when it fails. It works until something fails, and when it does it's catastrophic.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Laying on the sarcasm thick I see
No I'm serious, my plan was to just keep putting fuel in until it died.

I dumped some stop leak crap in the tank and it seemed to have took care of the head gasket for the most part. The clutch is staying the same and not getting worse.

It probably has 30k miles on the oil change, I had no plans to change it... but now I might.

My girl has become rather protective of the new car... so I just let her drive it.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
No I'm serious, my plan was to just keep putting fuel in until it died.
I dumped some stop leak crap in the tank and it seemed to have took care of the head gasket for the most part. The clutch is staying the same and not getting worse.
It probably has 30k miles on the oil change, I had no plans to change it... but now I might.
My girl has become rather protective of the new car... so I just let her drive it.
Oh.... a least change the oil in the old girl...

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Ooops

I accidentally went about 10k kms/6000 miles over my interval. Immediately stopped driving it and had it changed.
Not worth the risk...

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I accidentally went about 10k kms/6000 miles over my interval. Immediately stopped driving it and had it changed.
Not worth the risk...
I do 20k mile OCI's... I have 362K on the car now...

I don't sweat strict OCI's like other folks.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
The timing belt kit is good for roughly 1/10 of a second less than the life of your engine. I generally go for 4 years/100,000 km whichever comes first (my car's recommendation). On the other hand, I've had a vehicle go over a million miles without changing a timing belt. Helps that the Series 60 uses a gear-driven camshaft.:p

i wouldnt trust a Prothe supplied t-belt kit to make it to the next oil change.
I wouldn't trust a Prothe supplied kit to make it out of the shop and onto the street.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My experience and observation (all ALH engines)

First my own experience, I changed the TB on 2000 Jetta somewhere around 100k miles (not really sure). But, that was all that I changed........ Then by about 165k miles, I come to the conclusion that I needed to do a complete TB job.... I did it at 167k miles. I've always changed it at the 100k mile interval ever since. It is getting close to 367k miles now.

- I saw one at 119k miles (10 years old)
- I saw one at 142k miles (6 years old)
- I saw one at 149k miles (8 years old)
and, I saw one at 152k miles.... it was broke. (7 years old)

And, I have seen several in the 110k mile range.

I saw a 1998 60k NB belt that broke at 105k miles.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
I get my kit from rock auto. I purchase the gates kit with the metal water pump.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I get my kit from rock auto. I purchase the gates kit with the metal water pump.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Only thing to watch with rockauto on these kinds of things is the date code. If you start with a 6 year old belt it's not good. I wouldn't go beyond 6 years from belt production date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
You can rest assured that your timing belt will reliably get you to the scene of your engine failure every time . . . :) :)

For me, too much at stake, so I'll be changing as per the schedule . . . rebuilt a Maxima head once when my Ex couldn't bother to find time for a belt . . . not worth it . . .
That's the best estimate of timing belt service life I've read.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
The timing belt kit is good for roughly 1/10 of a second less than the life of your engine. I generally go for 4 years/100,000 km whichever comes first (my car's recommendation). On the other hand, I've had a vehicle go over a million miles without changing a timing belt. Helps that the Series 60 uses a gear-driven camshaft.:p

I wouldn't trust a Prothe supplied kit to make it out of the shop and onto the street.
Still cracks me up that someone who's NEVER owned a TDI gives advice. A Series 60 Detroit and a TDI only have drive-by-wire and being 4 cycle in common, but nothing else!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Still cracks me up that someone who's NEVER owned a TDI gives advice. A Series 60 Detroit and a TDI only have drive-by-wire and being 4 cycle in common, but nothing else!
I agree 100% Well, rwolff made that statement on November 14, 2016 ........ the last time he visited here was on November 15, 2016....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sheesh, the guy has probably racked up more miles behind the wheel of a diesel than 99% of this crowd. Also- this sites founder, Fred, doesn't have tons of tdi experience. Seems like a strange axe to grind with a guy who hasn't been around in years.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Cracks me up when I guy dredges up a 5-1/2 year old thread and doesn't add anything useful to it

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Cracks me up when I guy dredges up a 5-1/2 year old thread and doesn't add anything useful to it
Lol, I found one that hasn't seen use since 98!!! I'm gonna wait until its like 30yrs old or so then bring er back for some questioning🤣. Fun thing is its still relevant to TDI's today.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looking more and more like a TDI Social Media free-for-all .....

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
just did a 2011 jetta cjaa 165000 miles original belt and all hardware.
You dodged the bullet. I've never seen an original TB go past 152k miles without stripping teeth (talking VW). I saw one at 149k miles and many in the 130k mile range. I saw an OE belt on a 99 New Beetle (60k mile belt) make it to 105k before stripping teeth.
(
Replacement internal depends on the mileage rating of the belt, and, of course age becomes a factor too.