How many have had ignition switch failure?

andmoon

My 06.5 is only 9 weeks old and the ignition switch is starting to not fail. I take the key out but the car thinks it is still in....and won't let the fob lock the door.

I think not having an actual lock/unlock button/post is not good.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
andmoon said:
My 06.5 is only 9 weeks old and the ignition switch is starting to not fail. I take the key out but the car thinks it is still in....and won't let the fob lock the door.

I think not having an actual lock/unlock button/post is not good.
Try your other Key Fob. Also Verify that all doors, trunk, and hood are closed correctly.

If that fails, use your warranty.

mmalluck

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
andmoon said:
the car thinks it is still in....and won't let the fob lock the door.
So it beeps at you like the key is in the ignition? I know the key fob won't work until you open and close the driverside door after turning the car off. This keeps from locking the keys inside by mistake.

Reggie870

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI 5sdp Pkg 2
We had to have ours replaced for the exact same thing. One day the wife calls me and says the key won't go into the ignition. Dealership tried blaming us for it saying it was damaged and it would not be covered under warranty. We told them our views on it and it was replaced.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Reggie870 said:
We had to have ours replaced for the exact same thing. One day the wife calls me and says the key won't go into the ignition. Dealership tried blaming us for it saying it was damaged and it would not be covered under warranty. We told them our views on it and it was replaced.
I also had the "Key won't go into the Ignition Switch" issue, twice in early '06.

There is a white piece of plastic in the entrance way of the switch, which is spring loaded. If it gets cocked out of place, you are locked out.
I had a discussion with said plastic using a BELL "C" flat head screwdriver (actually two conversations with that little bugger), and no problems since then.