TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
Met up with Ben from malone tuning in atlanta today

truly a stand up performance

MT stage2
+egr delete
mechanical timing tweak

before
409 miles 8.81gal = 46.5 mpg (some AC some not)

after
204 miles 4.1gal = 49.5 mpg (all AC)

i know thats not a very great range to compare but its promising

as for power
well
it was a fun trip home

ill post up some before and after 1/8th mile runs as soon as i get around to it

although im a little concerned about my clutch so it may have to wait
im expecting it will be significantly quicker

just for the record
15% tint is illegal in Georgia... even if your not speeding
rokkors dont help the stereotype either

if you teach a cop how to flop seats forward, open your hatch, hood, and gas door it really heat em up...

and dont confuse your state ID with your DL

and if you offer to peel the tint off, dont mention that you did it yourself for $20 bucks and youll just put new on when you get home...

needless to say i gave em a little toot of soot on my way off after they told me to go home.

ticket free! :D

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Nice, i noticed a little mpg bump w/ my rc3. I just added T4's and surprisingly my clutch seems ok w/ it at the moment.

Lol at everything else. I commute 200 miles each way once a week, and there's an area i hit where they pulled me over 4 times in 4 weeks between front plate and tint. As for rokkors, you gonna expect a nice ride for $300? ;)

I'll have to get my right foot out of the way to see any increase w/ my new nozzles myself lol.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
As for rokkors, you gonna expect a nice ride for $300?
previous owner

id like to go with a nice cup kit honestly
maybe a little lower than stock but a little higher than my current

yeah i think t4's would help in my situation (smog 216's not pop tested either :()

but as far as the new tune
i give it an A+++

the more i drive it the more better it feels

acceleration, idle and deceleration all seem smoother
no puff at start-up

sounds a little meaner too
little more woosh, little more bass in the exhaust note

sets me back in the seat even at 80+ mph (never said i didnt speed during the trip, just not when i met the fuzz)

and as far as the run in with the law
my tint is legitimately too dark
and they acted very professionally, it was just rather amusing to me

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Do they normally bug people from out-of-state about tint levels?? I guess they do, but I always thought that whatever is legal in your state/province of residence and registration should be acceptable when you're passing through another jurisdiction... Perhaps I was wrong...

Yuri

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Do they normally bug people from out-of-state about tint levels?? I guess they do, but I always thought that whatever is legal in your state/province of residence and registration should be acceptable when you're passing through another jurisdiction... Perhaps I was wrong...

Yuri
In NJ you didn't need a rear bumper on a pickup at one time. I was in NYC and was ticketed for no bumper. I had it dropped but it was a hassle going to court in the bronx.

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
Cook county

I bet it was down around cordele.
Yes they are supposed to honor your state's regs for tint.
Cook county has a racket going with Florida vacation traffic. Georgia actually tried to make it illegal for a county to make too much revenue from tickets due to this practice.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
it was indeed cook county

i thought they were troopers of some sort and i read the patch on ones arm and asked
he said they were with the sheriffs department doing drug traffic intervention

the fact that he said drug traffic intervention alone proves profiling
i was breaking no traffic laws, i just had tint that was too dark

in fact im pretty sure there was traffic going at least 10 over right around me

in the 30-45 minutes they spent searching my car, they probably could have given 3-4 legitimate tickets
haha

and BTW the car was idling for probably 15-20 minutes of that untill i asked if they would turn it off
"could you turn my car off because im hoping you guys are very thorough and im trying to save SOME fuel"

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I've always been wary about out of state laws while traveling. I don't even understand how another state can give you a ticket for "cosmetic" stuff on your car if it's legal where you are registered.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
well... its not really legal in FL either...
but i didnt get a ticket.
it was just their excuse for pulling me over
they really wanted to find drugs

but before the thread gets locked

Malone 2 is freaking awesome

zoompastu

TDI
06 Jetta
Don't Lock This Thread!

Cops... They just kinda do what they want but they do play a important role in life.

As for the MT2 I must know because I want to do this very soon, what is the smoke like and is it only thick if you are at WOT?

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
its pretty non-existent aside from WOT

i have smog 216's that are NOT pop tested
even then the smoke can only be seen at WOT

Ben asked if it was to much to me, and i said it was fine.
im assuming had i said less please, he would have worked with it a little

have injectors pop tested and calibrated, and you would see less
especially with higher quality nozzles

but to me its not to bad

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
they do play a important role in life.

THIS

i want to make it clear that i have nothing wrong with cops, or any other law enforcement

actually quite the contrary
im glad their out their searching for drugs, because ive seen to many friends get caught up in different addictions.

it was just amusing to me how blatant it was

davidtdi

TDI
03 golf tdi
it was indeed cook county

i thought they were troopers of some sort and i read the patch on ones arm and asked
he said they were with the sheriffs department doing drug traffic intervention

the fact that he said drug traffic intervention alone proves profiling
i was breaking no traffic laws, i just had tint that was too dark

in fact im pretty sure there was traffic going at least 10 over right around me

in the 30-45 minutes they spent searching my car, they probably could have given 3-4 legitimate tickets
haha

and BTW the car was idling for probably 15-20 minutes of that untill i asked if they would turn it off
"could you turn my car off because im hoping you guys are very thorough and im trying to save SOME fuel"

I would have told them no to searching my car. Even though I have nothing to hide its a waste of my time and theirs. If they are going to waste my time I am going to waste their time waiting for the dog. I never give consent to search. I tell them if you think I have drugs get a dog, if he says I have drugs then you can search. Done it more than once. And both times they did not want to hassle with getting the dog and let me go.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Except for that 'friend' you gave a lift to a while back and failed to tell you he dropped and lost 'something' when you weren't looking. By asking you if they can search, you are being invited to incriminate yourself. Doesn't sound like an invite you should accept.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I would have told them no to searching my car. Even though I have nothing to hide its a waste of my time and theirs. If they are going to waste my time I am going to waste their time waiting for the dog. I never give consent to search. I tell them if you think I have drugs get a dog, if he says I have drugs then you can search. Done it more than once. And both times they did not want to hassle with getting the dog and let me go.
Well the other reality is they can literally take your car apart at the side of the road. Then they tell you the correct form number to file a "claim". :mad: So indeed you did the correct thing. :cool:

Timpackman

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI - 5spd, 2011 JSW 6spd Manual
If you don't have anything to hide - why wouldn't you consent?

A cop could tear my car apart, all he's gonna find is spare change, dog hair and stale fries that get dropped. :eek:

The 4th Amd of The Constitution prevents illegal search and seizure.

IF a cop has to ASK to search, he doesn't have probable or reasonable cause to search your car.

It's not about hiding anything, its about knowing the law and holding the police to it as well.

If you consent to a "side of the road" search, you are asking for trouble.

Fight it out in court, not with the cop on the side of the road.

off topic: When our insurance agency was robbed several yrs ago, I was fortunate enough to be able to kill the robber. Even though in my mind the shooting was justified and "good", i didnt say crap to the cops when they got there. "My name is XXXXXXX, I fully intend to cooperate in any way that I can, but I will not make ANY statement until I speak with my attorney."

the cops didnt like it one bit. They handcuffed and arrested me, and took me to jail. Charged me with ADW, and manslaughter. I just smiled and waited for my attorney to get to the jail. 3hrs later, after my attorney had spoken with the DA, I left the jail. No charges against me, then or now.

Had I spoken to the cops it could have been much worse. "Dude, I just smoked the mofo that came in here. Shot that ********** in the bleeping face!"

Cops are NOT your friends. They are in the business to arrest people.

Tread accordingly

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
There is plenty of evidence to never consent to a search nor to talk to the cops about anything other than needing help or directions. I'd post links but I'm in a hurry.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I agree, never ever let them search your car. Heck, for all you know the prevoius owner has a stash under the seat and you never found it.

As for tinting... would you walk into a bank wearing a facemask? Cops are just trying to protect themselves.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
off topic: When our insurance agency was robbed several yrs ago, I was fortunate enough to be able to kill the robber. Even though in my mind the shooting was justified and "good"
I gotta give you props. Personally, I wouldn't put myself in that position unless I feared for the safety of myself or my family. You obviously did the correct thing by not speaking to the cops. You also must live in a pretty cool state with good castle doctrine laws.

Too often poeple do the same thing and at the very least get their arse sued in civil court by the 'victims' family. In some cases, they are the ones that end up in prison.

Bottom line... know your local laws and prepare for a life changing moment when you pull the trigger.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Agreed, never consent to a search. They need probable cause to search, unless you give them permission. Know your rights and don't be afraid to use them. I was in this position once when I was a teen and I let them search my car because I didn't know any better. I also had nothing to hide nor did I have or use anything illegal. I still don't, but I would never consent to a search of my house or car now that I know my rights. You have everything to lose and nothing to gain :cool:

Timpackman

Veteran Member
TDI
I gotta give you props. Personally, I wouldn't put myself in that position unless I feared for the safety of myself or my family. You obviously did the correct thing by not speaking to the cops. You also must live in a pretty cool state with good castle doctrine laws.

Too often poeple do the same thing and at the very least get their arse sued in civil court by the 'victims' family. In some cases, they are the ones that end up in prison.

Bottom line... know your local laws and prepare for a life changing moment when you pull the trigger.
the robber had already shot a co-worker, so he made me shoot him.

Yes I am in NC

turbobooster

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS 5-speed (sold); 2011 Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Did the coworker survive? I can't imaging being put in that situation; I'm glad you seem to be dealing with it well.

lost1wing

Veteran Member
TDI
2003, 2003, 2002, 2000 ,2000
He walked away without a ticket. That means no day in court (out of State). I think if he did refused the search, he may have ended up with a ticket.

Not knowing who owned the car before you is another story. But I think I would still cooperate with the police.

Timpackman

Veteran Member
TDI
Did the coworker survive? I can't imaging being put in that situation; I'm glad you seem to be dealing with it well.
no the co-worker died about 23hrs later. Took two 22lr from a ruger mark4. One to the groin, and one in the gut. The one in the gut, while still not fun, was survivable. The one that went in the groin was worse. Hit the pelvic bone, deflected, and smashed the femoral and other organs. Long story short, the docs couldnt stop the bleeding. 5 surgeries, and 19 units of blood later, he died.

it will be 2yrs the end of this month on the 26th.

My faith helped me the most, without it I would crumble daily. Taking a life never really got to me as much as being mad at myself for not somehow stopping the shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.