How Loud would

blackmagic16

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Black
I've been thinking about doing my exhaust (not soon probably by end of summer) and was thinking 2.5" downpipre leading into a full 2.5" SS pipe all the way back (with cat no muffler) How loud would this be? any one have same setup? anyone have an audio clip? I want a little more rumble but i don't wanna wake the neighbors in the middle of the night

black_and_chrome

Veteran Member
TDI
Black Jetta 2005
I have a very similar setup, look at my sig. for details. I think it sounds great! :D I wish I did it sooner... I heard straight pipes with no cat and I found it to be a little too loud. The high flow cat seems to muffle the sound just enough. You can youtube TDI straight pipe and get some kind of idea of the sound at idle. just do it, you will not regret it.;)

Tbirdtree

Veteran Member
TDI
none at the moment
That's what I have now. Sounds good, IMO. Actualy, just yesterday, I was at the super market and was leaving. Started up the Jetta and the lady next to me said, "Is that a diesel?" I said, "Yes." And she said, "That's good. For a minute I thought you needed a new muffler." Or somthing to that effect. I didn't tell her that there was no muffler. :) So, take that as you will.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
black_and_chrome said:
no cat right? Also sounds like you were reving a little high(depends on who you ask) I would guess somewhere aroud 3000 to 3500?
Nope no cat, and that was only 2k rpm going up the hill, about 3k rpm going down the hill.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
I don't have my cat anymore it rusted through so I just recently removed mine and i have no muffler just 2.5 back. I was informed I was not allowed to come home at wee hours of the morning if the car was going to be that loud. It seems only bad around 1900 rpms and 2900 rpms. So if i come down my road at neither of those ranges they never notice lol. It has a very throaty rumble to it especialy when nailing it a 3 grand oo man the looks you get makes me smile. The nice thing is I do that and have No visible smoke almost, no black puffs just a clear haze of sorts.

dJValkenburg

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta TDI
Straight pipe for the win. I love my straight 2.5" all the way back. It is loud, but the turbo wistle is awsome!

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I have 2.5" straight off turbo to by rear wheel out the side. It is TOO loud really. Will have to try and get a sound clip this week sometime. But a static test @ 4000rpm was about 92 decibels and that is VERY loud.

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I suggest you try straight pipe, and if you find it too loud, add a resonator. Leave the cat behind. Besides video clips, everything is too opinionated with exhaust IMO. Happy modding!

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
Installed a 2.5" DP(no cat) and 17/22 turbo, at Chill's on my 02 yesterday. Very agreeable sound even though I dislike noisy cars.

black_and_chrome

Veteran Member
TDI
Black Jetta 2005
dieselvet said:
Installed a 2.5" DP(no cat) and 17/22 turbo, at Chill's on my 02 yesterday. Very agreeable sound even though I dislike noisy cars.
I'm jealous... exahust and turbo. I bet a new tune to boot :rolleyes:. Looking forward to seeing and listening, we will have to get together soon. PM me when you get back to town and have some free time.