How long with BRM starter last?

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
I've owned this jetta since new (2006) and have yet to change the starter. I have recently replaced the alternator and battery but not the starter. How long does the starter typically last? Should i just replace it after 300K (km)? I don't want this to die when I'm far from home..... Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The absolute worst thing you can do for a starter is keep cranking a car that will not start. That is how many folks send their starter to an early grave.

Something you might consider is to check the condition of your starter's brushes and bearings.I'm at 257,000 KM's (160,000 ish miles) and my starter is fine although I might pull it apart this summer to check it's condition.

For maximum effect, I'm shouting this at the top of my lungs while typing. If you do decide to replace your starter, do not go down to your local neighborhood parts stored and buy one of their garbage re-mans.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Long enough unless you abuse it.
Relay might go bad now and then but it is easily replaceable.

rentstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 05, platnum
05 with 125k on mine when I replaced it. It was starting to crank slower and slower. I didn't want my wife to tell me the car wasn't starting when it was -20f. The new starter started a lot faster. I even logged cranking speed and it made a big difference. I try to find my info before and after replacement

Link to my starter thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=428026

Last edited:

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
05 with 125k on mine when I replaced it. It was starting to crank slower and slower. I didn't want my wife to tell me the car wasn't starting when it was -20f. The new starter started a lot faster. I even logged cranking speed and it made a big difference. I try to find my info before and after replacement
Link to my starter thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=428026
I'm getting the picture, everything is okay until it is not..... I'm ordering a new bosch starter in the morning -26C is not out of the usual in my neck of the woods ..... Thanks.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I'm getting the picture, everything is okay until it is not..... I'm ordering a new bosch starter in the morning -26C is not out of the usual in my neck of the woods ..... Thanks.
Well, there you go. Very cold weather and a few long cranks because of hard starting certainly can kill a starter over time.

I'm fortunate here in the PNW because the temps in winter rarely get below +20F and I've never had to crank for more than say 3 seconds.

"Everything is O.K. until it's not" really nails it.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
296K on original, very weak cranking below zero.

Under advice from this forum, two winter's ago I did a starter R&R/cleaning. Guessing it had ~230K at the time. Was a waste of time. Inside, including brushes, were extremely clean.

However, I did find one issue: the braided cable between solenoid and starter had deteriorated from exposure/oxidation. It's only several inches long with crimped electrical connections and cable thickness on par with battery jumper cables. Did my best to clean it up, but had no affect on starting. This explains why a brand new battery does not resolve slower than normal cranking below +20°F.