How long will you keep your MK4 TDI?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Sounds familiar, I don’t know what I spend more time on, maintaining our cars or maintaining my body so I can maintain our cars.

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
I'm gettin' too old for this old car BS...

Back when I was 27 I did stuff like replacing the water pump in the dark by flashlight on my Cooper S so I could make the 50 mile round trip to the vocational school next day. The truck driving skills I learned there got me a good job that paid for my first new car, a Golf diesel, a year later and provide me a pension check every month now. Maxxed out my 401K/TSP and IRA every year, drove TDIs, and lived in an old house in the 'hood so I could retire early with a six figure nest egg. Bought a nice house in a tiny town for cash in southwest Minnesota and have lived here the last decade. I get up in the morning, enjoy the view out the window with a lengthy breakfast, then check my stocks when the market opens. Then I dutifully head out to the shop and try to fix the 17 year old TDI I could easily replace. Must be in the genes, half my great grandfathers were blacksmiths...

So after the Sunday morning talk shows I'll drag myself back to the shop and make another attempt at getting a firm brake pedal on my '03 Golf TDI. Recapping my previous post, after replacing all 4 calipers the new lines/hoses couldn't be fitted and the master cylinder looked like too many things to go wrong to replace. So hooked up the power bleeder and after several tries the pedal sinks even worse than before. Hooked up Vag-Com and after reading the old threads sorta figured out how to work it, got a firmer pedal but not good enough to be drivable. Dug up some more info at this old thread, gonna give it a try.

And yes, this is an excellent example of how these jobs on old cars get way more complicated than expected- In the middle of the job I find out I need a helper/COVID-19 spreader to do the job and not just one but two brake bleeder drain tubes and catch cans! I've got at least two 11 mm. wrenches and hopefully some tubing of the appropriate size too, if not I'll just put a couple improvised catch basins downstream and make the best of it. The A4s TDIs were great cars, only 2% of cars make it past 200,000 miles but around here that's middle age for a TDI... But unless you've got the tools, parts, and skills to fix them they're just another dying two decade old car...
Depressing! Love mine and it is completely satisfying when a repair is made and she purrs (relative) down the road. 330k miles and although I could buy any car I want, have the option to drive four different cars and trucks in the driveway/garage, I get in the golf and drive away with a smile. Bought it with 60k in 06 with the plan to drive it a couple years. 15 years later, I’m shooting for 500k. Replace it with what? Pulled the money out of savings and headed down to test drive the MK7 GTI. It was a blast to drive. Reminded me of the car I drove to the dealer. I put the money back in the savings account, drove home smiling in my 03, VW Golf TDI.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Depressing! Love mine and it is completely satisfying when a repair is made and she purrs (relative) down the road. 330k miles and although I could buy any car I want, have the option to drive four different cars and trucks in the driveway/garage, I get in the golf and drive away with a smile. Bought it with 60k in 06 with the plan to drive it a couple years. 15 years later, I’m shooting for 500k. Replace it with what? Pulled the money out of savings and headed down to test drive the MK7 GTI. It was a blast to drive. Reminded me of the car I drove to the dealer. I put the money back in the savings account, drove home smiling in my 03, VW Golf TDI.
I think that the tradeoff is that you're in a warm climate and I'm in the rust belt- I've had good luck repairing three decade old German motorcycles because they don't see salt, but the underside of our cars look pretty disreputable after just a decade. The tradeoff is that I paid $40k for a 2 bedroom house with attached garage that met code on an acre of land ten years ago.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm in a rust belt as well, but my MKIV cars are hanging in there. I've spent some money (and some of VW's warranty money) on rust repair but otherwise so far so good. My son's '02 Golf has had fenders replaced and the rockers have seen better day (collapsed pinch welds like so many of these cars) but the undersides of both cars are clean.

Like Rapid Transit, I have lots of car options but tend to drive my MKIVs the most.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Yup, in Boston area you get the salt from both the sea and roads. I'm beginning to suspect that 15 years is about the life expectancy of cars in the rust belt- My '86 Golf broke a clutch spring and got retired in 2001, the '98 Ranger ran pretty well until 2013, and this '03 Golf didn't give me much trouble until the last couple years. I used to work for Hostess and they had a pretty good handle on vehicle costs so they kept the bread vans for 15 years, the aluminum bodies didn't rust out but the frame was Swiss cheesed by then, so they spent the least couple years pretty much parked as "spares", I dreaded getting stuck driving them!

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Is a fender swap doable in a driveway? I've got rust underneath the front passenger fender, whatever body part that is, but the fender is bad where the "splashguard" ruined it, and of course it has the "rotted above the wheel well where VW used a sponge to hold it together" rust hole that's about the size of my hand now.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
My '04 Golf is in really good shape - garaged its whole life and lightly used.

Have 185K on it and and I don't see any reason that I cannot keep using it until either I get in a wreck or I get too old to be able to get in and out of it.
The latter scenario probably means another 15 years or so...Great car that I love a lot!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Is a fender swap doable in a driveway? I've got rust underneath the front passenger fender, whatever body part that is, but the fender is bad where the "splashguard" ruined it, and of course it has the "rotted above the wheel well where VW used a sponge to hold it together" rust hole that's about the size of my hand now.
Shouldn't be a problem. Remove bumper and inner fender, and I think it'll unbolt easily.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
2000 New, 390k+ Still running. The only car to be at every TDIfest. Tred has been resting a lot but being fitted with a new steering rack. Been a great car.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Shouldn't be a problem. Remove bumper and inner fender, and I think it'll unbolt easily.
The ones I have seen unbolted just fine, but the glue they used to firmly attach the fenders was a bit of a PITA. ONly a bit, but only really something to worry about whilst removing the donor fenders, not so much the rusty ones that are getting replaced...

Probably best to get a feel by removing the bad ones... :)
cheers,
Douglas

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
The ones I have seen unbolted just fine, but the glue they used to firmly attach the fenders was a bit of a PITA. ONly a bit, but only really something to worry about whilst removing the donor fenders, not so much the rusty ones that are getting replaced...

Probably best to get a feel by removing the bad ones... :)
cheers,
Douglas
Glue? They're not bolted on?

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
lol you get to a point where you have so much time invested where you're like **** it keep er going. deadly reliable though and never let me down. lots of other random issues like a siezed caliper, think my turbo is letting oil bypass, oil cooler leak, driver side window switch is acting up a bit, trunk fob (and switch) doesn't work because there's a plastic lever thing in there I gotta replace, that I've been getting around to etc. other than that small stuff it starts up everytime even dead of winter... most times immediately which indicates to me atleast the motor is in good shape. rust wise it's also in good shape, got some roof fade and chips near the windshield i gotta touch up. rockers and underside are mint.

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
Mine is mid 150's mileage, has a fresh timing belt and new skins. I don't drive it to work as my job provides a work truck. There is no incentive to sell it, we will keep if for the sheer comfort of the NB for bigger people. I will probably retire before it does. :)

Jediwag

TDI
03 Jetta wagon 5sp swap
2003 Jetta Wagon GL new to me in Oct 2018 California 113k one owner auto . With TB done by dealer in Santa Monica at 100k . Now it’s a 5sp and I throughly enjoy driving it.
I’m knocking on 70 this year and I intend to keep it as long as I’m ticking .

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
^I was just thinking about the same thing when I saw this thread.
Recommend you find a youngster in the family to leave it to.
If there are any interested in wrenching, that is.
You can tell him (or her, in fact) that if he learns how to maintain it, it's his along with all your tools!
I'm going to have to pick an heir from amongst my brother's boys.
As for how long I'll keep mine, I'm closing in on half-way to 60.
If she makes it I'll keep her forever and a day. I'll spend a day as a ghost saying goodbye lol.
Would hate the thought of it going to a stranger.

WanderTDI

TDI
2002 ALH Jetta
I've had quite a few cars in my life. An '89 Jeep Wrangler, Nissan Sentra Spec-V, now a 100-series Land Cruiser (for the family). This little car is by far my favorite and has been for 6 years now. I've had people stop at my house and ask to buy it. Not a chance! I drove all the way out to the Bonneville Salt Flats and back (about 350 mi) and didn't even use half a tank. The LC would be empty, and it's tank is twice as big. It's not necessarily cheaper. Taking proper care of a 19-year old car isn't going to be. But I love tinkering with it. I plan on keeping it until it's physically or fiscally impossible.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
As for how long I'll keep mine, I'm closing in on half-way to 60.
Trying to parse this; does that mean you're almost 30? I mean, great if you are and already planning out inheritance, but given that you joined in 2007, that would've put you at ~17yrs. old when you joined, which....probably isn't the case. ;)

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
I’m knocking on 70 this year and I intend to keep it as long as I’m ticking .
We are neighbors and contemporaries mate. The 04 White Wagon is perfect for 2. Any more need a Passat or .. heresy .. my venerable Volvo 740 which was totaled last year. My 06 MB T1N Sprinter is getting most of the love lately.

Elliot

TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 Red std 5 spd, Jetta Wagon 2009 Blk DSG
As long as it is willing. Had mine since bought new in Oct 2002. a red tdi wagon. It is still almost like new with no issues 144,000 miles never parked outside and rarely out in inclement weather.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Oh wow - and out in dry Texas...? That thing will still be living its best life in 2040!
Well done, sir!

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I’ve had my 04 since 09. I need to swap some fenders, a rf door, and maybe a hood since they are the worst parts on this Michigan resident. The rockers are starting to rust, I should get them addressed.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well seeing as she’s running better than ever now, I’ll keep her for a long time more. 2001 with 250k. I will have some rust to address and in the usual place, but she grew up in the DC area and now is in Wyoming. Not big rust bucket areas.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Rust never Sleeps, another example of one of the best known whiners on album. Maybe the guy from Air Supply whines just as well:) Fourteen years ago I purchased my 2001 Jetta with 100k on her. One owner and he bought the Jetta for a Graduation gift for his daughter, and she wanted a Corolla. He was a CAT Diesel mechanic so the intake was cleaned, brakes were done and the turbo was resealed but it died from oil issues. Replaced the turbo and an Upsolute tune killed the next turbo. Then a timing belt snapped. Frank rebuilt the head and put in .205's, Stage 3 tune was a lot of fun for a long time. Oil, tires, timing belts, air filters, etc. South Bend DD2 clutch. The Beef on a Budget suspension: Koni Orange, all new hardware and she handles really great now. I live in Nevada, and salt was seldom encountered, and now salt is banned as it might seep it's way into Lake Tahoe, which has no natural outlet, killing the Lake. Three different sets of nozzles, a couple of tune tweeks, and a hybrid turbo is the most "recent", recent being 4 plus years. I just had Frank build a new set of .216's, so I can get an accurate idea of what my FE should be, not what just happens, ( long story ) "Sophie" just crossed 330k and the rear rotors and pads need replaced, but I already have the parts..just not a warm dry place to do the swap. My wife gets "testy" when I buy parts and then I remind her that $300 or $400 once or twice a year is not like making car payments. Now the front seats are broken down and threadbare I have a pair of GLI Recaro's on the way. The paint was done a year or so ago, so to look at her one would never guess how old she is. I like that.

I guess I forgot to answer the question, how long will I keep her? She has 80k until the next timing belt is due, so I will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Our MkIV wagon was the first ordered from Canada (long before there was even a price list) - should explain, we did not get wagons until '03 model year - so I placed order with local dealer winter of 01/02. Took delivery that summer. but since it has been one of several vehicles it has only 360k kms (223k mi.), but rusted out tailgate and front fenders, so car is parked until my shop opens up for a refreshing of chassis bits and change rusted parts. Want it back on the road as our long distance tourer (we take the rear seat squab out and have a very comfy and roomy 2 place). After having the first new MkIV wagon in the country, wife now has the very last '15 Q7 TDI (23 months old now, 25k kms) as her farm/garden/grandkid hauler and I hope we will have both of these until we finally are too old to drive. That means at least another 20 years from the MkIV, so might have to grab a rust free Southern roller somewhere down the road and put it aside as a refresh shell. Honestly, after being in the car business for many years, and around them a lot for many more, there simply is no vehicle that has come closer to being absolutely perfect in almost every way (easily improved to BE just right) than this particular vehicle.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Interesting, my situation's almost the opposite!

I'm a wagon guy, too, and I'd been following the development of VW TDIs for quite a while (and secretly drooling), but they had no wagons! Then one day in a dentist's office I saw an ad in a National Geographic, I think, showing a wagon. I immediately started looking and finally found two at a dealer about 60 miles away, one of which was a 5-speed. Bought it, the first-ever brand-new car for me -- wife always got the new ones....

At any rate, I think I got one of the very LAST MkIV wagons, at least in the Northeast US. It wasn't legal for sale in CA or any other CA-rule states, which eliminated MA, NY, VT and maybe some others, but NH was OK with it. Never regretted it!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I didn't do anything yesterday or today, but a week ago something unusual happened: I had half a tank of fuel and the pump went dry. I put 4 gallons in, no luck I took it home, inspected everything and still clueless. I bled the air out, fired her up and went to fill the tank, that was when I realized I had half of a tank of fuel when she ran out. I remember something years ago regarding fuel senders being the problem. The last time I was in the tank I drilled out what I thought was the check valve, and cleaned up some goo that that was there, in the process I booger-ed the float and lost my fuel gauge. I now have a new fuel sender to install hopefully this will fix the problem.
A 20 year old fuel sender has not died early enough to irritate me, so I am hoping the new fuel sender will fix the half-tank issue. If it does not fix the problem, I will put here in the air and look elsewhere. I know I can go 400 miles and still have fuel; that will hopefully allow me to figure out how the new fuel gauge reads the tank.