How long do springs last?

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Outside of being broken which is possible I have 170in/lb so almost the highest 2 blue/2 white dots.

So when doing the front is it worth buying a new pair even though their reliability especially with Chinese steel could be put into question. I would obviously want the exact same pair but Idparts has them steeply priced if I go OEM. Certain other sites have them cheaper but again will it actually be the ones I want.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Beats me, but I'm in the same boat. Struts have to come out, now I'm worried about what else needs to be replaced also.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I had a broken front spring after 180k miles on the 02 so I went oem from IDparts front and rear. Quite expensive but I want no worries for at least another 180k.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Apparently I didn't document it but my LF spring broke at lets say 6" from the end at the top at under 100k (I think like 80k).

Went to vortex and bought VR6 OEM springs from some kid lowering his car. Now at 234k and o.k..

However RR spring is making a metallic noise - actually a noise similar to a front strut bearing so I'm installing new MOOG springs in rear today. Really I think it's the little aluminum piece the rear spring set sin but I hear the rear springs are wimpy so I'm doing those aluminum things at the bottom, new rubber bumpstop, and will paint the pocket where the aluminum thing goes with epoxy paint. As rust from the spring or this perch/pocket will eat the aluminum and lead back to metal on metal.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I have 189k miles on mine and they're fine (I think!).

Is the car sitting level... or sagging...? Do you have any cup wear on the tires?

The thing I don't like about the aftermarket springs is, they get surface rust after a short period of time. My factory springs look new, minus the road dirt and grime.

I installed a set of Moog rear springs on my '86 Cutlas Supreme, and 5 months later, I noticed they were covered in surface rust... :>(

df

Lurchalicious

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
I have a set of stock TDI springs from my Jetta if you want them. taken out at 125k and not broken. Just pay actual shipping and I'll find a box to put them in. PM me if you are interested