How long do Glow plugs last?

stickman007

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Newbie here,

I just bought a 2004 TDI about a month ago. Since then, have discovered a few problems:

-lower IC pipe connector popped out (or was never installed properly), fixed
-frostheater increased the cranking time required in cold weather (even when its plugged in for +4hrs). All coolant hoses have been checked to be sure of no collapse or pinching
-recently developed, rough start, engine would stumble after it fires up for a few seconds even in moderate temperatures (-5C to 5C), wasn't there when I first bought the car. Always have started nice when I first got it.

The previous owner has told me that all the recalls have been done, (glow plugs done last year). My biggest question is how long do glow plugs last? Do I have to change them on an annual basis?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I would say that 10 years is a pretty good ballpark for glow plugs. Of course, it depends on how much they get used (climate) and the brand and style of plug. You will get a check engine light if one is bad, as they are monitored by the ECU.

gerrywac

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MkV 1.9 TDI Match 105Hp (UK Model)
Glow plugs are not a service item at any mileage. Replace when faulty.

VW recommend that if a plug fails you should replace them as a set but many people just replace the faulty plug and I've not heard of any issues doing so

Thats not to say that it isn't a glowplug problem as the glowplugs come into service at a few degrees C and are then kept active to assist engine running until warm-up. and a fault with this might be behind your issue. Any lights and do you know anyone with VCDS to do a fault scan

Last edited:

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
You do not say which model is your TDI. Glow plugs last a long time, typically only replace when one actually fails, which is alarmed as far as I know on 2004 & newer TDIs. The watchout for me is that the original glow plugs in my 2004 Passat TDI were ceramic, which can fail by breaking off chunks of ceramic, which can really do damage inside the cylinders. The first B5.5 TDI recall on glow plugs was to replace the ceramic with stainless steel, a good thing. I would suggest that you verify your car HAS stainless steel glow plugs now, or if not, pay for a changeout.

As to your other symptoms, it may really pay out for you to find a TDI guru near to you (listed in this website) and give the car a thorough going-over. Most VW dealers lack a really good TDI mechanic: beware!!

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
My car will be 12 years old in July. Glow plugs are just fine.....until?

stickman007

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
Engine is BEW. I would assume that if the glow plugs recall has been done that everything is alright, but I've been wrong before).

There are no engine light. I don't have VCDS as of now, debating whether I should get VAS-PC or VCDS, but that's another topic. There are no gurus in my area, maybe an hours drive up north. Once car has warmed up, starts great. The reason why I suspect its the glow plugs is that once the car is warmed up, it starts fine. Though it cranks longer with frost heater, it doesn't stumble after start up, even in -20C weather. I do have SGII. Anything I can look for with that?

I'm just concern as to why it starts rougher now that the weather has warmed up.

More info to Add:
- torsion value has been set (dealer) after timing belt by the previous owner less than 20k ago

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You do not say which model is your TDI. Glow plugs last a long time, typically only replace when one actually fails, which is alarmed as far as I know on 2004 & newer TDIs. The watchout for me is that the original glow plugs in my 2004 Passat TDI were ceramic, which can fail by breaking off chunks of ceramic, which can really do damage inside the cylinders. The first B5.5 TDI recall on glow plugs was to replace the ceramic with stainless steel, a good thing. I would suggest that you verify your car HAS stainless steel glow plugs now, or if not, pay for a changeout.

As to your other symptoms, it may really pay out for you to find a TDI guru near to you (listed in this website) and give the car a thorough going-over. Most VW dealers lack a really good TDI mechanic: beware!!
His user info says 2004 Jetta TDI.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
There are no gurus in my area, maybe an hours drive up north.
An hours drive is nothing to get to a trusted mechanic who can tackle the issues the VW dealer can't. I'm pretty handy mechanically, but I drive 1-1/2 hours to a guru in Northern Virginia for major stuff. Don't even think twice about it. Just my $0.02.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Glow plugs are not alarmed. And failure rates vary widely. First set in my wagon was replaced at 48K under warranty (probably didn't need them) and the second set lasted 232K. I've been through 6 plugs in the 25K since. All Bosch. So it varies.

You've identified two of the issues in an '04 BEW. One is the clip connectors on the intercooler piping, which tend to wear, leak, and fall off. Most frequent are the connections into the intercooler from the turbo and into the intake manifold from the upper intercooler pipe.

Second is glow plugs. VW had difficulty with the original 7v ceramic glow plugs on your car breaking and damaging the engine, so they recalled them and put in 5v steel plugs, which also required an ECU reflash. Because many owners had starting problems with the 5v plugs they later went to a different 7v plug that wouldn't break, worked better, but also required another reflash.

If you feel you need glow plugs it's important to get the car's history and see what plugs it is set up for. If you put in the steel plugs when it's set up for ceramics they'll burn out immediately. And if you only run 5v through the ceramics it will be hard to start. If it's set up for the 5v plugs you may be able to get VW to give you a set of 7v plugs and reflash the ECU, but not all cars are eligible.

stickman007

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
The 7v recall-recall was done last year...

Ordered a new CTS this afternoon and will report results when I get it in. Thanks for the tips guys/gals!

CTS can fail without engine light?

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
If you put in the steel plugs when it's set up for ceramics they'll burn out immediately. .
I understand that that the 5v would burn out with a 7v setup.

So just to clarify, if you still have the 7v ceramics, and then switch directly to the 7v steel, would you still need to flash the ECU?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are no 7v steel. Just new and old 7v ceramic. If your car had no recalls and you switch from the original ceramics to the current ones, no reflash is needed.

Lmarjorie

TDI
2nd TDI Passat Wagon 2005 bought last spring in the southPassat Wagon TDI 2005 retired
I know this is a old thread. But I have had two 2005 Passat TDI. Both times the VW dealerships, and yes that’s plural because on both occasions I called at least 3 dealers. Told me my Glowplug recall had been done when it had NOT
Do not believe them check yourself. Easy to do one and match them with the good or bad glow plugs that can be found online.