How long after buyback closing is a bank loan paid off?

phxcliff

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE (Turned in 1/25)
Anybody get their overage check from VW credit yet? I'm waiting on about $800 / 2 payments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was told by a VW Credit rep that they hold the overage checks for 15 days before sending them out.

kuklaki

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-line//Non-TDI: 2016 Audi e-tron
Turned in Jan 5, payoff now posted on non-VW credit bank. It's officially over.

TosaTDI

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
My 2012 Golf TDI was bought back on 1/7. I also received an email receipt while I was sitting at the dealer completing the buyback. I'd guess that if you don't receive an email receipt while at the dealer something has gone awry with your buyback. Chase email received 1/9 with funds showing up in my account the next day 1/10. I am seeing a final payment received by VW Credit that matches the amount on my settlement form and my account is shown as closed on 1/23. Of course I had a monthly payment due on 1/23 which I paid as I don't trust any of the comments about not making a payment on a vehicle tied up in the buyback. Not saying anyone here is making anything up, I just don't trust what someone is being told by VW or VW Credit.
Last step will be a check for the overpayment and cancellation of the extended warranty so I can pay off the loan on the new 2017 GTI. Sorry to hear about those getting caught up in the process. I am located in the Milwaukee area and was able to get a Saturday buyback appointment scheduled within 3 weeks of all of my paperwork getting approved.
Good luck to all working through the process. Hang in there and you'll get through it.

lorindol

TDI
had 2014 Passat SE w/Sunroof
overage check received

My loan was paid off with VW Credit on 1/2/17. Just received a check yesterday for the overage amount from the payment I had made in December. So now it's completely finished.

Last edited:

rml612

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Turned my car in on 12/27/16, loan with VW credit was paid off on 1/19/17, over 3 weeks. They owe me about $415 from my December payment. This nightmare is almost over. Good luck to everyone else.

BlueGruff

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW DSG; 2017 Jetta 1.8T Sedan
Dec 30 - buyback closed
Jan 13 - BofA loan paid off
Jan 24 - overpayment check received

Fitzwilly

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr
I was told by a VW Credit rep that they hold the overage checks for 15 days before sending them out.

My Buyback was 12/23
Loan payoff was 1/6
Got my overage check yesterday 1/24
Finally done with VW and very happy with my Toyota.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TDI
just looking to purchase
wanted to share that my vw loan thru vw was finally paid off after 21 days. I got so pissed off at VW I wrote the VW claim and below is response I obtained today.

My name is Lisa Petak, and I am an attorney at Keller Rohrback. The managing partner at my firm has been named to the Plaintiff Steering Committee, and we represent owners of TDI Volkswagens. The committee has just assigned more lawyers to assist claimants, and I hope I can help.

First off, I’m sorry that the buy-back process has been so frustrating. You are not alone in your frustration, and I assure you the court is aware of the concerns of the class.

VW is batching all payoffs to VW Credit with multiple claimants, so they will often take longer to be sent -- but will be processed more quickly once they arrive. For those with loans through servicers other than VW Credit, VW has 5 banking days from the buyback date to send payment, and those loan payoffs are 100% paper checks overnighted to banks. Some banks are slower than others to process the payoffs once received, however.

VW Credit is waiving any late fees from the date of the buyback. This raises a question about interest, and that is still being resolved by VW; however, because VW Credit processes loan payoffs much quicker than other banks -- even after the batching delay -- the net payoff time should be about the same as other banks because the processing is quicker.

Moreover, VW Credit customers do not need to make any payments to VW Credit after they complete their buyback appointment and receive their receipt. Due to the monthly batch process, a claimant may receive payment reminders after they complete their closing and can disregard these as long as they have completed their closing and have a receipt. VW Credit will refund directly to claimants any excess in the loan payoff amount paid by VW to VW Credit due to a claimant’s loan payments between final offer letter and Buyback appointment, pending any necessary validation by VW Credit.

If you have any specific questions regarding your payoff, you should contact VW Credit directly. However, if your loan is through another servicer, please let me know and I'll see what we can do.

Best,
Lisa

Lisa Faye Petak
Keller Rohrback, LLP

VW “Clean Diesel” MDL No. 2672 | Plaintiffs Steering Committee
info@vwclasscounsel.com

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
...VW Credit customers do not need to make any payments to VW Credit after they complete their buyback appointment and receive their receipt. Due to the monthly batch process, a claimant may receive payment reminders after they complete their closing and can disregard these as long as they have completed their closing and have a receipt.

Best,
Lisa Faye Petak
Keller Rohrback, LLP
VW “Clean Diesel” MDL No. 2672 | Plaintiffs Steering Committee
info@vwclasscounsel.com
Wow, well, that's about as close to "in writing" as I can expect to see. But it's not coming directly from VW. I wonder how "my lawyer told me not to pay" goes over in front of a judge. :p :D

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
And I'm officially done...

Returned to car on 1/10, and GAP rebursment hit the bank last week.

I was getting a little antsy so I called the claim line and found out the payment was mailed 1/25.

Today I received notice from FedEx the check was delivered (1/27) and within a few hours the loan was paid off!!! :D

Called the bank and the overpayment check is being placed in the mail today.

HarBro

TDI
2011 sportwagen
Turned in car 1/6
Loan paid today 1/27

14 business days.

What really grinds my gears is the interest accruing from 11/28, the date the buyback amount was set, till today.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
What really grinds my gears is the interest accruing from 11/28, the date the buyback amount was set, till today.
In my case, when the calendar flips to February, the value of my car magically shoots up $600.

So the $120 I've lost to the bank in interest since we stopped driving the car end of September, and a couple hundred in insurance, is at least turned into a modest bonus due to the wait.

twistedcricket

TDI
No TDIs
Paperwork finalized, 12/15/16
Buyback Appointment, 1/13/17
Loan Paid, 1/27/17
The lady who handled my buyback said it would be 7-10 business days. Depending on how you calculate dates vs when the bank transactions go through, it was 10. I wasn't going to be concerned until Monday :)

Finally. Done.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Potentially a record fast payoff?

I turned my VW in on 1/24. Balance remained on loan when I checked Friday.

Checked this morning, 1/30, and it reads $0.

This was with BB&T. That's crazy fast, to me.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Still waiting for payoff.

Turned in on 14 January.

Spoke to VW Claims - they said a check was generated on 21 January but no tracking number. They "promised to escalate."

Next payment due 1 February.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Still waiting for payoff.

Turned in on 14 January.

Spoke to VW Claims - they said a check was generated on 21 January but no tracking number. They "promised to escalate."

Next payment due 1 February.

Me too. My "JSW #2 with lien" buyback was 1/14 and as of yet the account is still open. VW Credit. Payment is due today. I'll use the grace period to let it go another week or two.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Me too. My "JSW #2 with lien" buyback was 1/14 and as of yet the account is still open. VW Credit. Payment is due today. I'll use the grace period to let it go another week or two.
I called VW Credit this morning again. They again reiterated that customers need not pay for those who participated in the buyback and no longer have their vehicles. That said, she said the turnaround on checks getting received from VWoA has been averaging 10-15 working days so she advised to wait at least 1 more week. There's a 30 day grace period as well, so they don't report until after 1 month of non-payment. If I still see nothing by the end of this week which makes 15 working days, I'll submit a payment for February and wait for the overage check to be returned.

Your check is probably sitting in a stack along with mine since we both turned in on the 14th.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
I called VW Credit this morning again. They again reiterated that customers need not pay for those who participated in the buyback and no longer have their vehicles. That said, she said the turnaround on checks getting received from VWoA has been averaging 10-15 working days so she advised to wait at least 1 more week. There's a 30 day grace period as well, so they don't report until after 1 month of non-payment. If I still see nothing by the end of this week which makes 15 working days, I'll submit a payment for February and wait for the overage check to be returned.

Your check is probably sitting in a stack along with mine since we both turned in on the 14th.

I hope they hurry up. I should be getting close to $450 back from overage due to paying in December after they had gotten payoff info and I could use that for something coming up in February (we are trying to buy a house lot that would close mid Feb and due to appraisal I may need to come up with a small amount extra).

opelgt21

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI - BB
VW Credit Loan Pay-off: 9-Jan-2018 COB.
I am finally done:D
VW Credit Refund: 30-Jan (Check date 25-Jan)

I feel like this whole process was like the extended directors cut of LOTR, too long to take in one sitting.

Hope VW starts to speed up the BB for everyone else.:D

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
Is there a notable difference in time from turn-in until remittance for those with clean titles when compared to those with liens to clear?

A pal turned in his TDI locally last Thursday (1/26) at 1500L. Clean title; no note. EFT completed early this morn (1/30).

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there a notable difference in time from turn-in until remittance for those with clean titles when compared to those with liens to clear?

A pal turned in his TDI locally last Thursday (1/26) at 1500L. Clean title; no note. EFT completed early this morn (1/30).

I turned in two JSW. One had a clean title I had, no lien. One had a loan on it at VW Credit. In terms of the EFT to me there was no difference. Both happened at the same speed once you factored out weekends/holidays. The one with a lien from VW Credit still has not been paid off at VW Credit, but I got my money.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The payment to the owner comes in the same amount of time whether or not you have a loan.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
Took 19 days to receive my VW Credit overpayment check.
Turned in 12/20
Paid off 1/11
Overpayment received 1/30
Asked State of Ohio for refund on taxes paid on vehicle, filed paperwork 12/21 received open case notification on 1/8 and information stated 30-60 days processing on case. So done with VW process just one piece to go.

chasingleprechauns

TDI
2014 Passat, 2014 Jetta
It took 39 days for my loan to finally clear. Turned car in 12/22 and the loan was zeroed out yesterday. The delay was attributable to VW not sending all required paperwork to my credit union when the first check was cut -- the POA that was signed during turn in. Our second VW is still pending payoff, but we are only 20 days since we turned that one in. Credit union told me they returned the check to VW yesterday because, again, the POA was not sent with the original check.