How Important is DSG Reset?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
After having the battery out, how important is it to reset the DSG with a scan tool? I didn't know about it when I did my DSG service. It shifted sluggishly into gear afterwords but straightened right out in under a minute. I have put around 200 miles on it since and it is shifting fine. Is there any reason to do it now? I did use the scan tool to set the fluid level at the proper temp.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Well I guess nobody really knows? I did the "Basic Setting of Transmission" today with OBDeleven and it took all of 5 minutes using the app. Shut engine down when finished, restarted and went for a drive. Hard to really know if anything changed, seems the same to me. My thoughts on this are if you don't do the basic setting after the battery has been out the transmission will just go through it's adaptation process after you begin to drive it a while, just like it does after a basic setting. The basic setting returns the control module to factory specs from which point it adapts as needed, and not doing the basic setting after battery removal might leave some "gremlins" in the control module, affecting it's ability to adapt as designed. This is just speculation on my part though.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
After having the battery out, how important is it to reset the DSG with a scan tool? I didn't know about it when I did my DSG service. It shifted sluggishly into gear afterwords but straightened right out in under a minute. I have put around 200 miles on it since and it is shifting fine. Is there any reason to do it now? I did use the scan tool to set the fluid level at the proper temp.
i did this when i did mine, theres no specific procedure for mk7 dsg as far as I know

Prerequisites:
Transmission fluid temperature between 30°C - 100°C confirmed using Advanced Measuring Values:
** IDE00102 Control Module temperature
** IDE00024 Transmission fluid temperature

Selector lever in Park

Engine idle speed, do not press accelerator pedal

Parking brake and foot brake applied during the entire procedure. This can be confirmed using Advanced Measuring Values:
* IDE02713 Brake Light Switch
* IDE02714 Brake test switch

0D9 - DQ250 MQB - Basic Settings Procedure:
[Select]
[02- Auto Trans]
[Basic Settings-04]
Select [Basic settings of transmission]
[Show Measuring Data] and select:
* IDE00021 Engine speed
* IDE00322 Status of basic setting
* IDE00024 Transmission fluid temperature
[Go!]

- During the basic setting procedure, there may be some loud gear shifting noises from the transmission, this is normal.

Basic settings may not complete successfully if:
- The fluid temperature gets too hot.
- Brake is released
- Engine RPM is increased

Once complete, there should be an indication of this in the [Status of Basic Settings] Advanced Measuring Value group and Basic Settings should report Finished Correctly..

[Done, Go Back] and Check for fault codes. If you have several Intermittent fault codes stored please [Save] them before clearing so the text can be pasted here with any feedback you happen to have.