How don't y'all get 50+ with ease it seems?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
What will it take to reach 55-60 mpg with casual driving 65 cruised? My record is 51.9mpg right now but I think we must push it further captain. I am thinking 15-16" steelies (I just picked up stock 2012/2013 16" steelies from a Jetta), removal of spare tire / any and all junk, 40+ psi on the tires, windows up, no AC and possibly fuel additive. Once my exhaust loses some weight it might be possible with no more regens wasting my precious diesel. :D

Anyone have any other suggestions? I probably should remove my hitch too although between weight and drag I don't think it's too much.

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I'm with ya man ! I don't understand the crappy milage .... I still get between 38-40 when I gun it all day long ( I do have highway commute but not all) and on long highway trips I have gotten one 51.8 mpg tank amd quite a few 47mpg tanks . Not that hard if you drive between 55 and 65 steady . Btw my golf has a DSG to boot ! By the way EGS I def think you will start seeing even more high consistent numbers with your new tune and rawtech exhaust :D

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I saw a 2-4 MPG bump when I went from stock 17s to 15s. It's a little hard to tell as the car is still breaking in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My Fuelly running average is 45.5 since new, last tank was 47.7, mostly highway. I typically drive 75-80 on the highway, ran the A/C all the time on the last tank. I do better without the cruise control, even though I do no hypermiling activity.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Do what they did on TOP GEAR...just start removing body panels till you get the weight down and the mpg up

tomsyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Golf 2 Door
Lol^^^ I got 54.2 mpg on my trip to florida with the car packed to the brim with crap. It looked like I lowered the car a bit

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
http://fastskinz.com/#/home/

They claim 18-20% increase in fuel economy. So for me it would be 55-56 mpgs.

http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=564

Malone claims 4-6 mpg increase with the "eco tune". this would push you over 60 mpgs with the golf ball skin.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4316702

According to a third-party test, fastkinz are a fast way to waste money while looking like a golf ball; I would think that the dimples would create drag lol. The eco tune is totally legit though.

I thought the AC VS Windows Down Mythbusters was informative:
Running a car with air conditioning on is more fuel efficient than running with the windows down.
PARTLY CONFIRMED*
Tests were performed under varying conditions (55 mph versus 45 mph). The 55 mph test used a computer to estimate fuel efficiency based on air intake, not actual fuel consumption, and showed A/C was more efficient. The 45 mph test consisted of running the tank until it was empty, and showed open windows were more efficient.

*Because the original tests were inconclusive, this "urban puzzle" was revisited in episode 38: It is more fuel efficient to use air conditioning when the car is traveling approximately 50mph or more. Otherwise, windows are more fuel efficient.
http://mythbustersresults.com/episode22

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I've seen an increase in mpg and power recently. just turned 65,000 miles and I think I might have my eng fully broken in finally. it seemed to happen suddenly at just over 60,000 miles. overall mpg is hard to judge, my wife does a lot of city driving and we use AC a lot right now. but my highway drive I do every day I seem to see about 4 mpg increase but the feel of the eng just seems suddenly smoother and better acceleration. maybe just my imagination but I like it !!!!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I had the same experience in my '02. Hitting 60K was like turning a switch. Power and economy improved significantly.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I have a hard enough time hitting 40 with my commute - don't think i will ever see 50. Had one tank at 51mpg all highway for half the tank, but couldn't keep my foot off of the go pedal for the remaining half of the tank. Ended at 46mpg. I definitely wish the DSG had a higher top gear or a 7th gear like in Europe.

Ninjawagon

TDI
10 JSW
I have some alterations on my car but I did a long trip a couple weeks back and avged 49.7 on a tank. First off this was on my way to a show with some friends so allot of spirted driving heading to the show. Then on my way back by my self at a steady cruise control 75mph. I had all my interior and some added cleaning supplies. With my friend in the car she can't be much more then 100lbs. I my self am not a small guy by any means. I am currently on a set of 18 by 8's with 205 40 running 38lbs of air. Yes I am aware that this is a minor stretch. The wheels and tires weigh in at 46lbs a pop. I have AFE exhaust, AWE intake, Unitronic stage 1. I also have the OEM steel panzer plate which weighs allot, and I am in between a 3-4 in drop on H&R ultra lows so my rear wheels are cambered out. I am personally holding out to go stage 2 think that will be the only way I will be close to 60mpg's. I won't lie dropping the weight in wheels this year has made a big difference. I tend to AVG 41-46 a tank and I won't lie I beat on the car allot.

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
yup DPF delete. If my or should I say when my DPF fails this is the route I will be taking.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Still stock with HPA Stage 1; obtained 53.2 mpg last tank. I don't think 60+ will be obtainable without serious hypermiling techniques stock. Next week hopefully my Rawtek setup will be installed and I can get some higher numbers. After a couple of tanks with the stock wheels I'll switch to the 16" steelies for a few tanks to see how much of an improvement can be had in the real world with skinnier tires.

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
I have firm experience backing this up.

You have to drive the car more than 20 miles before you can get acceptable mpg for that trip. Example: get in car in am at

Edit. Crap, I just typed a book and only the first three lines came through ughh

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
I have firm experience backing this up.

You have to drive the car more than 20 miles before you can get acceptable mpg for that trip. Example: get in car in am at

Edit. Crap, I just typed a book and only the first three lines came through ughh
Oh man that sucks; I do agree with the 20+ miles though :D

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
Lots of mpg are lost at cold. Before the engine gets into my ideal temp, the fuel consumption is way higher. For example : at the morning before the temp goes to 90 the average of fuel consumption is 9.6l/100km and aftert doing the same driving habit and resetting the fuel computer I do 5.6l/100km.

For sure the DPF is the big problem here... it needs to be a the operating temperature as soon as possible.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Lots of mpg are lost at cold. Before the engine gets into my ideal temp, the fuel consumption is way higher. For example : at the morning before the temp goes to 90 the average of fuel consumption is 9.6l/100km and aftert doing the same driving habit and resetting the fuel computer I do 5.6l/100km.

For sure the DPF is the big problem here... it needs to be a the operating temperature as soon as possible.
One way to save would be a frost heater... engine nice and toasty on start; maybe I will invest in one :D

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI

Not shabby. My average is around 48 mpg. This is 1 and 2 on the computer but I always do the final equation on paper after filling up. The reason there's a difference between 1 and 2 is 12.6 miles or driving city the day earlier after the fill up.

Timpackman

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI - 5spd, 2011 JSW 6spd Manual
I hit 36000k, and the mpg took a jump. Easily 48-50mpg on my 95 miles interstate commute at 65-70mph, all day, everyday, with the AC on..

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
I find if you drive with all the windows up, sunroof closed in the summer heat and at a reasonable speed you'll get better fuel mileage then having windows down or slightly down and a sunroof open or slightly opened.

Turbulence.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you do that you'll probably also get better FE because the car will be lighter. No one will want to ride with you. My dog stands up and sticks his nose in the vents if it's not cool enough in the car.

Seriously, I don't see any repeatable change in FE in highway driving with AC on or off.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
If you do that you'll probably also get better FE because the car will be lighter. No one will want to ride with you. My dog stands up and sticks his nose in the vents if it's not cool enough in the car.

Seriously, I don't see any repeatable change in FE in highway driving with AC on or off.
If people are with me I'll put the AC on but most of the time it is me commuting to work. I had my 08 Lancer DE for a year stock without AC; eventually driving in 90+ weather doesn't bother you :D

Generally I will drive with the windows up and the ambient warm arm coming in through the vents is enough to keep me from dying. Although I have been known to crack the windows or run the AC if it is a real scorcher :cool:

This next tank should be another 52+ mpg one which is exciting.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Geez, the minuscule amount of money saved isn't worth burning up. Not for me anyway. I love me some AC.

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf Gone But not forgotten. 2000 Jetta TDi Kerma Tuned
Never really saw a fuel mileage bump without a.c. I say run it. It works so good why not. Plus driving with windows down is not fuel efficient anyways.