How does the clutch slip behave?

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
In short: I read about cases where power mods (chip+inj+..) makes the clutch slip in 4th, 5th gear. Nowhere where I read doesn't say if it slips when you engage the clutch after shifting the gear or after that, being in gear and not touching the clutch pedal... Anyone?

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Assumptions I made before answering:
1. The clutch pedal is fully released.
2. The clutch is properly adjusted.
3. The clutch is not overly worn.

Any time your clutch is engaged and your vehicle speed and engine speed move independently of each other, you're experiencing clutch slip.

This can happen when:
1. You stomp on the throttle while in gear, and the engine races but the vehicle speed does not increase.

2. You slowly release the clutch pedal and tromp on the gas before the clutch is fully engaged. You can do this on an unmodified car, and it is called "Riding the clutch." IMHO this should be considered a capital offense.

moondawg

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Or put very simply: you are in 5th gear at maybe 2000 rpm going about 100 km/hour and when you push the go pedal to the floor, the Tachometer climbs quickly while the Speedometer creeps up slowly by comparison.

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
Or put very simply: you are in 5th gear at maybe 2000 rpm going about 100 km/hour and when you push the go pedal to the floor, the Tachometer climbs quickly while the Speedometer creeps up slowly by comparison.
Sh*t! That was the answer I was hoping not to get. Or to put it differently I was fearing...

I have now:
a) VW Passat Varian 1.9 TDI 1Z
b) Kerma Sprint 520 nozzles
c) turbo downpipe
d) Cold Air Intake (home made/pretty nice)

I approximate the power of the engine at 102-105 HP

In the next 2 months there will be an Upsolute or Race2000 Chip soft installed with (I hope) +30HP.
Am I into a new clutch kit? G60 Flywheel + VR6 disc and throwout bearing? Or?
What do you members recommend?

PS: I am planning a Dawes Device and a Mechanical Bleed on the turbo control and an Evry after the chip. I am into a new clutch ain't I?

metallica48423

TDI
1998 New Beetle
You are WAY into a new clutch

i was always told that if you get larger injectors + performance chip you'd probably need a new clutch, but i have not done the perf. chip mod yet, so i dont know from experience... this summer my friend... this summer

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
depends...A3 stock clutches can take a bit more. I've got .205 injectors from KERMA and Rocketchip stage 3 and I experience no clutch slip even if I try to make it slip.

You've got 16xk km on your car, are you the 2nd owner? Maybe the clutch was abused and now the power is making it show it's age. It wouldn't hurt though while your in there to upgrade the clutch to be safe. Another stock one might be ok but if you're in there, might as well upgrade so you don't have to do it again!

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Consider yourself lucky (as if). My car is stock and the clutch slips in very cold weather STOCK! All of my cars (with one exception) have been manual trans, and I've NEVER had a clutch problem... even with a 240D with over 400k miles on the original clutch. I got a bum clutch and it just started slipping at around 60k miles.

It's torque that makes it slip. So you'll see most of the slippage around 2k RPM, where the engine makes max torque. Just like you described... driving around in pretty much any gear at ~2k RPM, push the go-pedal near the floor and VOOM. Sucks. I'll be looking into a new clutch when I get back from vacation next week. For now I am driving the Sprinter... 24 MPG...