How does a Mk7 like gas in the tank?

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
No, I haven't done it to my 2015 yet, and only once in 314k miles on my 2002 ALH, but should it ever happen I was curious to know in advance. Back in the days of the Rabbit diesel in the north it was common to cut the diesel with 10% gas as an option to fight gelling, so when I finally screwed up and and put nearly three gallons in my 02 ALH that was way over 10% I crossed my fingers, and not only did it run, it ran better than ever, I mean really noticeably better. Now the EA288 is a different ballgame plumbing-wise, so was wanting to know if anyone knew the effects of running gas through it. If it is an expensive disaster I'd just have to call a tow truck straight away.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Given that the high-pressure fuel pump in these cars is lubricated and cooled by fuel....well, having solvent (gasoline) running through there is not going to do anything positive for longevity.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
Thanks. Just to be clear, I was meaning like 10-20% gas, obviously not pure or mostly gas. I didn't even think about the rejection device.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Rejection device gave me a funny mental image of gasoline spraying back out all over the confused pump operator. Don't try it, it would just be a tank full of crap, not rocket fuel. :)