How do slide the alternator out?

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I have a 2003 TDI 374,850 miles alternator gave up the ghost. Finally got the thing unhooked but can't seem to get it out. Looked at the VW bible I think they missed a few steps. Do we have to drain the radiator? ARG! Thanks for the help!

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Can't help you get it out but after you do, note that there's a steel bushing in one side of the mount. Press it outward a few thousandths and it will make installation a lot easier.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have a 2003 TDI 374,850 miles alternator gave up the ghost. Finally got the thing unhooked but can't seem to get it out. Looked at the VW bible I think they missed a few steps. Do we have to drain the radiator? ARG! Thanks for the help!
Remove AC compressor from its mount.
Remove large AC fan from its mount
Alternator is twisted out of its mount and brought downward.

Here is a how-to:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=932019

note:
On reinstallting, don't bang on AC compressor ears to get the sleeves in place. Follow advice from how-to.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Where are you stuck at? Is the serpentine belt and tensioner off? Two 13mm long alternator bolts out? Alternator pried out of engine bracket? Passenger side fan removed from radiator shroud? I sometimes unbolt the AC compressor and let it hang by the hoses to make more room to get the alternator out from underneath.

Eric

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Remove AC compressor from its mount.
Remove large AC fan from its mount
Alternator is twisted out of its mount and brought downward.

Here is a how-to:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=932019

note:
On reinstallting, don't bang on AC compressor ears to get the sleeves in place. Follow advice from how-to.

What Jokila said above ^^^^^ .... No other advice is needed. Other than, I cut a piece of cardboard to cover the radiator where the fan was located... just in case I fumble the ALT,,,,:D

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I add a step to what was said previously.

Remove the dogbone mount. Put your suicide jack between the fans and gently push the engine backward from the fan shroud. It gives you just a little more room to work with.

I know that there are many, especially those that sell the parts, that say you can't reuse the dog bone mount bolts. Only thing I can say to that is I never have put in a new one yet. Since no engine has fallen out, I think I'll just keep on doing so.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Franko6, good idea about removing the dog-bone and pushing the engine back.

As for those dog-bone bolts, I've never replaced them either and have never found one broken or loose!

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
Frank if those bolts are torque to yield they can't be reused for reasons that may not be so apparent those not in the fastener world. Trust me and the VW fastener engineers. Just buy the new bolts unless it's an emergency repair.

I'm working on an in depth post explaining torque to yield and why it's so critical.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Another thing I do to aid removal is to tap the bolts with a hammer after you have backed the 2 bolts out about 2 turns. Those sliding dowels in the ears of the alternator get seized and wont let the alternator off the mount even tho the bolts are out. With 1.06 million on mine and alt. number 4 it happens. And if that alternator has never been replaced those dowels are pretty well guaranteed seized

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I'm in the middle of doing this now.
Once you get the alt loose, loosen the clamps that hold the two hoses in the lower rh corner looking up and forward from under neath.
Then you have to rotate,shift and swear like a truck driver and it will come out and reverse the procedure putting it back in. Mine made it to 391,xxx miles on mine.
As everyone said, press those sliding bushings in the a/c compressor and the alt, if it's a used alt, also make sure you put a new pulley on the alt if it isn't a new alt.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
omt,

I've been around that block many times. Unlike you, I will not walk in lock-step to the demands of VW and quite honestly, a portion of my business is to re-engineer the mistakes that VW has foisted on the public, such as our PD cam improvements.

I do not begrudge your interest in replacing bolts that are overkill, however in my extended experience with those particular bolts, I would have to see the first one fail before I felt the need to change my position. To put it bluntly, I don't see that happening. I've been ignoring their demands on that set of bolts for almost as long as the engines have been in the marketplace; which amounts to almost 20 years.

We also modified the torque spec for the ALH/ AHU cam sprocket torque to 45 ft lbs, as we think it's ridiculous to have a 14mm bolt with only 33 ft lbs torque, expecially when you see a newly installed cam sprocket slip and ruin a cylinder head. We engineered the replacement bolts for the PD cam caps and Rocker shafts. After all, a 12 ft lb torque-to-yield (TTY)bolts are nothing short of ignorant, and only for the advantage of VW manufacturing to simplify their assembly process.

But that does not mean we reject all TTY bolts. The hold down bolts for PD injectors, engine mount bolts and the big roller bolt for an ALH timing belt kit demand their replacement. We just try to use common sense when considering the reality of these bolts and the engine they hold together.

Last edited: