How do I take the wipers to get to the ECU?

Robber

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own 99 Golf IV, Upsolute Chip and opened intake
I took the caps off the wipers of my car but the wipers them selves didn't seem to want to come off after I took the bolts off. I don't want to destroy anything. How did you Wett chip owns do it?

Rob

M

mickey

Try prying gently under the wiper with a screwdriver. Place a piece of stiff cardboard or something under the tool to prevent damage to the car. The wiper will be pressed onto the shaft fairly tight, but it should break loose once you've removed the retaining nut. You might try prying it from different angles around the shaft until it finally pops off.

-mickey

S

SkyPup

Just gently rock the wiper bodies back and forth and around, they will pop off relatively easy, it is a slide on fit.

Adam

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI (Wagon)
I pulled my ECU out of my 96 Passat yesterday, and I did not have to remove the windshield whipers. I just opened the hood, took off the plastic cover from infront of the passingers side (above the fire wall), pulled the passenger compartment air filter out (and cleaned it out) and took out one bolt, which held the assembly tray in place. I then slid the ECU out over the air intake. I hope this is helpfull. Adam

------------------
96 Passat TDI Wagon, 112K miles, Kicking stereo - I installed, soon to have a chip, and other mods made.