How do I get my ECU file?

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
I need to upload my ECU file in order to get a new tune, but I haven't been able to find out how to do this. I've done a quick online search relating to the Mk4 as well as on this forum, but no luck. I've seen sites that have original ECU files, but I can't imagine that that'd be what I should send in given that the tuner could get those as well. Any help will be much appreciated.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Many tuners will rent you the specific hardware box needed (it's called a Flashzilla)... or you can purchase it if you think you're going to be doing lots of work (although they are pretty spendy).

The ECU file (and hence the Flashzilla) is locked to your VIN number, so yes... your tuner will need *your* original ECU file to modify.

timsch

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Mk4 Jetta (blue), 2003 Mk4 Jetta (black), 2011 Mk6 Jetta, all manuals
Can it be accessed with the Vag-com? I need to upload the ECU file in order to finalize my order for the tune.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I've never ever heard of a tuner that needs the ECU file *before* they can quote on the work, but ya never know.

Usual process is: pick a stage, pay (including rent the Flashzilla if needed), upload the file to the Flashzilla and then email it to the tuner, get the new tune back and download it, done.