How do I check condition of an 04 Passat engine with unknown history?

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
So yeah, the AC fan was on but AC was not. It's just 115 degrees here so I guess it thinks it needs it...

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
Here is a deleted 05 BHW to compare. Electric fan off as it is almost 50°cooler than Drewser's driveway.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
So here's another video (it actually rained here and it's like 85). I think I have an extra sound...like bb's rattling. LW's video sounds like our Jetta...our Passat definitely sounds different than our Jetta.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all. Ordered everything to delete the BS. Will do it with the timing belt. Have it parked until then. Maybe Phoenix will get a cold snap in the next few weeks to make the job more bearable...

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I'd drop the pan, I hear the swish of a chain, anyone else hear it?

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Dug into it this weekend. Didn't see any signs of issues with BSM or oil pump but replaced with ALH setup anyway. If I was going in, I was gonna replace. Wondering if it was replaced in the past. 238k miles tensioner good with no signs of play in the pump. That being said, I didn't want to deal with anything in the future.

However...still have the noise, which is a bummer. Wondering if it's a pulley. No AC now after sitting a few months...maybe it's the AC compressor. Though wish I would have known there was no AC while I had the front clip off. Argh. "Ran when parked"

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Another question...water pump was leaking pretty good. However, impeller was still on and functioning. Seal was pretty flat where it was leaking. Replaced it. With new water pump, new EGR cooler, and good compression numbers on all cylinders, anything else I should be concerned with? Or am I relatively good to go?