how do i change 2005 jetta glow plug relay

1955pont

TDI
jetta wagon 2005 silver
Could someone which is the relay that controls the glow plugs on a 2005 tdi jetta. iv'e checked all the glow plugs and there all good.
the glow plug light blinks for about 2 min. then goes out and the check engine light stays on all the time. i'm going to try changing the relay and see if that helps

Doug Huffman

Veteran Member
Washington Island, on the other side of Death's Do
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2K3 Silver gone to new home
Do NOT take it to the stealership. If there is one lesson for a newbie or a member to take from this site, tdiclub.com it is to never take a VW to the stealership until all other alternatives have been exhausted and even then expect to be screwed! Find your local guru.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Take it to the stealer but be careful. Remove any tuning boxes etc. Make sure you have dino diesel in the tank (no bio). These are things they look for the void your warranty. Havent you heard?? Biodiesel causes the brake rotors to warp:p

Have them fix the relay and nothing else.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
1955pont said:
the glow plug light blinks for about 2 min. then goes out and the check engine light stays on all the time.
I thought a blinking glow plug was indicative of a bad brake light switch?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
If there is a GP issue it's the harness, not the relay. The relay almost NEVER needs replacing.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Oh, and if you go to the dealer be prepared for $500-900 for the GP's harness and the relay as they just replace them all.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Go to the dealer. You are still under warranty. It shouldn't cost you a dime!:) Why waste your time and money. Remember if you screw up something while under warranty VW will void your warranty!:eek:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
1955pont said:
Could someone which is the relay that controls the glow plugs on a 2005 tdi jetta. iv'e checked all the glow plugs and there all good.
the glow plug light blinks for about 2 min. then goes out and the check engine light stays on all the time. i'm going to try changing the relay and see if that helps
A blinking GP light indicates something more serious other than the GPs which should be checked out. It could also be a simple as a problem with the brakelight switch. In any case, find and hook up with a fellow TDIclubber in your area with VAG-COM who can scan your car for you and get the code(s) in the ECU that are triggering the light. DO NOT take it to a dealer without exhausting the resources and expertise of TDIclub forum members first. Then if you finally have to, take it to a dealer you're familiar with and prepare to get screwed by collateral damage done by them changing parts that don't need to be changed, even if it's all covered under warranty. The damage they do will likely show up later as weird quirky problems after the car is OUT of warranty!

VW dealer service departments are simply parts changers. They have no clue and no ability to diagnose a problem. We've read many stories of people having the entire glowplug system replaced by dealers and costing more than $400.00 when all that was wrong was the glowplug connections simply needed to be cleaned with a contact cleaner/deoxidizer spray. The owner ended up paying over $400.00 to the dealer when they could have fixed themself for FREE in about 10 minutes.

Doug Huffman said:
Do NOT take it to the stealership. If there is one lesson for a newbie or a member to take from this site, tdiclub.com it is to never take a VW to the stealership until all other alternatives have been exhausted and even then expect to be screwed! Find your local guru.
Doug's assessment is 100% correct. Plenty of fellow TDIclub forum members have already learned this lesson the hard way.

Good luck.

lc11444

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The glow plug light on my 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI came on blinking for about a minute after I had been driving for 15 minutes or so. It finally went out and hasn't come back on since. No engine warning light. I checked the brake lights and they are OK. Could it be a temporary "glitch" or should I be very concerned about it? The car seems to run just fine. Thanks.

06TDIGUY

TDI
06 A5
If you are still under warranty why wouldnt' you take it to the dealer? I am all about DIY but why would someone buy a new car then not use the warranty?