How can you tell if you have a failing lifter?

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
Hope I don't have a failing lifter but I want to know if you can tell easy when you have one. I am a TDI owner with a sense of preventive maintenance so to say...
I listened to the engine bay with the hood open and I can hear some kind of faint cling-cling-cling sound in sync with the engine. Could be a normal sound and me==idiot or...
I will try to get a long wooden handle from a broom or something and try to locate it but I will ask here if anyone knows of such a sound. It doesn't really sound like 2 metals hitting each other just like a little bell. Again, it is very faint and you can't tell easily.

BTW: Some mechanic told me that a hydraulic lifter (that' its name) that fails on a TDI doesn't do catastrophic things whereas here on the site I read horror stories of failed lifters and replaced engines...

Is there a preventive method of telling when a lifter is beginning to fail?

solstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 NB red cabrilet
are you sure the TDI has lifters? in this weather diesels are a lot louder the only way to quiet it is to leave it running all the time! my opinion is warm weather andturn up the radio so you don't hear the noise!