How big is the fuel tank

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
On the 2015 GSW? I thought it was 13 gallons, I ran down to 1/16th and refilled with 12.8 gallons, hard to believe I only had .2 gal left in there! Maybe the filler neck holds a bit!

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I'll have to be more careful, do not want to get air in my fuel system. The gauge sure moves faster when near the bottom!

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I'll have to be more careful, do not want to get air in my fuel system. The gauge sure moves faster when near the bottom!

Mine does the same. I tend to fill at a quarter. No less. Don’t wanna run the pumps dry or mess with the fuel cooling the pump. Especially in these summer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
You must have really been pushing the envelope. The most I’ve ever been able to refuel without spilling is 12.2 gallons and that’s driving 15 miles past 0mi remaining.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
You must have really been pushing the envelope. The most I’ve ever been able to refuel without spilling is 12.2 gallons and that’s driving 15 miles past 0mi remaining.
I'll never do that again....I usually keep my tanks more full than empty but it snuck up on me really fast. Plus I have been filling all the way to the top of the filler neck so probably a bit more than 13.2 when you do that.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
is there a vent mod to do on these cars like the mk4s?

i just got a mk7 golf and found im getting 410 on the first tank which really sucks as i really hate stopping for fuel more than once a week as im pretty consistently driving about 500 a week

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Depending on your driving you may have a hard time going 500, although some people are getting well over 600. My last tank I ran nearly dry and I went 451 miles, 30% city and the rest 75 MPH highway with the AC on. So far my longest lasting tank I went exactly 500 miles and she took 11 gallons so I had about a gallon left, that tank was 2 lane mountain highway driving 55-65 MPH no AC till the last 100 miles or so. Sorry I don't know about the vent mod.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Longest tanks I’ve had was 480 miles but that was with sitting in traffic on the 215 in so cal in rush hour for 1.5-2 hours. 500 is doable, but you better be on flat or very steady/gradual ground. 500 miles a week... I wish I only did 500 miles a week.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
god dammit, i usually get 38 in my TDIs so this smaller tank is really going to piss me off i see. (facepalm)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I had trouble getting past 700km (450miles) until I got past ~40K miles. Last few tanks I've been able to push a little past 800km (500miles), and got close to 900km on the last tank.

Part engine getting broken in (?)...but I'm guessing Malone tune also had something to do with it. :)

Always surprised when I'm filling up and can't fill anywhere close to 50L (~13gal), when I'm coming from a vented Mk4 that could go past 60L.

Last edited:

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
My range readout was at 15km and filling to the top of the filler neck resulted in 43.8 liters or about 11.7 US gallons. Not sure how you guys are able to get high in the 12's gallons in, unless my tank calibration for the fuel level is way off. Always been this way - that was the most I have ever put in at one filling. I drove 903km on this tank for a hand calculated fuel consumption of 4.8L/100km or 48.6 USMPG.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
With "0 miles remaining" I've put in 13.2 but that was filling it to the very top. There's got to be a little reserve with "0 to go." Who knows maybe I was on the edge of running out. We need to have someone take one for the team and run out to find out the capacity. If you slow down even 600 miles is quite doable but city and stop and go traffic knock down the average pretty fast. My last few tanks I've had over 700 miles per tank but I drive in pretty ideal conditions.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Am I crazy to think you guys are crazy for getting these tanks so low? I remember the days with diesel trucks fuel pumps would die because people ran the tanks out of gas or too low too often, yet I see posts on here all the time with people saying they run em till they say I’m dying of thirst before putting more fuel in.

Is the fuel system equipped to do this without consequences?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Am I crazy to think you guys are crazy for getting these tanks so low? I remember the days with diesel trucks fuel pumps would die because people ran the tanks out of gas or too low too often, yet I see posts on here all the time with people saying they run em till they say I’m dying of thirst before putting more fuel in.

I think it is a terrible idea and when I did it was quite by accident, and my gauge was still 1/2 way in the red zone at 1/8" tank. I know better and won't ever drive in the red zone again, running a diesel out of fuel is bad juju.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I think it is a terrible idea and when I did it was quite by accident, and my gauge was still 1/2 way in the red zone at 1/8" tank. I know better and won't ever drive in the red zone again, running a diesel out of fuel is bad juju.

That is what I thought exactly. I feel like a fool every time I hear the light come on, only happened twice since I got the car in mid January and I hate myself for it because I know how hard it is on the pumps and what not. Just wanted to be sure I was on the right track. Will continue to fuel up no later than 1/4 if I can control it lol.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
In my opinion it doesn’t hurt it to run low but running out doesn’t do it any good.

From what I understand the in tank pump uses the fuel in the tank to keep it cool, so if it’s hot and you’re low on fuel you can cook your pump. Least that’s how it is for gassers, I assume it’s the same for diesels since the HPFP has to have something feeding it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Pump is constantly bathed in fuel so yeah it may run a little warmer, would I try and run the tank dry in 120F heat of Vegas prob not, but I'd have no issues driving till 1/8th or so a tank.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Apparently in my case with a max fill of 11.7 gallons to the top of the neck means there's quite a bit in there still! That's the most I've ever been able to fit in and with almost 0 range left on the MFD.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Interesting, definitely some variability between people's gauges.

VW engineers would have to assume that there will be some people who will run their tanks down low and would therefore account for that in their design in terms of keeping the pump adequately cool.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Am I crazy to think you guys are crazy for getting these tanks so low?

I think people worry way too much about this. I don't like filling up fuel tanks, and TDIs range is near the top of my list for favorite features. I've been running 800+ mile tanks in my ALH for years, and won't hesitate to run the GSW way down before refilling, too. I've run the miles remaining to 0 and still only added 12.2 gallons.

The smaller tank is a big disappointment in the GSW. I love a 700+ mile range!

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
A good reason to keep tanks more full than empty in damp climates with big temperature swings is condensation, although I don't think it is too critical with plastic tanks but with the old steel tanks it was bad. When my dad bought his F-350 dually gasser back in the 80's that had sat on an Illinois lot unsold for two years with empty tanks, tanks got replaced and fuel system had to be cleaned. Like I said probably less critical with plastic tanks but I still keep them full when the cold damp weather comes. (yes we get cold damp weather in the desert too)

nowielevate

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen Manual TDI
Are there any problems with filling the MKVII up to the point where fuel is visible vs when the pump shuts off, similar to the MKIV (?) with the ventectomy?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Are there any problems with filling the MKVII up to the point where fuel is visible vs when the pump shuts off, similar to the MKIV (?) with the ventectomy?
No, and removing the fill tube restrictor makes it easier to see the fuel level when its near the top. Just remember to reinstall it if you're taking the car in for dealer service if you're still on warranty.

BIO-PWR

TDI
'01 Golf TDI, '15 GSW S with 6MT
I wonder if anyone who has a deleted car has looked into augmenting the fuel tank (ie the range) with the DEF tank... probably wouldn't be too hard to connect the two.

I too am sad that I can only drive 420-450 miles per tank with my GSW. My commuter ALH Golf is an easy 550-600.

BUT it is far better than the MK7 Golf R I owned for 6 months. Exact same roads, exact same speeds but filling up on 93 every 280-300 miles. I'm grateful they started selling the old stock '15 TDI's!

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I wonder if anyone who has a deleted car has looked into augmenting the fuel tank (ie the range) with the DEF tank... probably wouldn't be too hard to connect the two.

I too am sad that I can only drive 420-450 miles per tank with my GSW. My commuter ALH Golf is an easy 550-600.

BUT it is far better than the MK7 Golf R I owned for 6 months. Exact same roads, exact same speeds but filling up on 93 every 280-300 miles. I'm grateful they started selling the old stock '15 TDI's!

I have heard of someone making a similar comment in the past, however, I heard it was pricey and no one makes a kit to do it. I could be wrong but I swear I read that on here somewhere.

Another use for that space would be to delete the car and bag my wagon and maybe just maybe have a tank pump combo built to sit in the same spot so I don’t loose any cargo room... tempting to theorize lol.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
From what I understand the in tank pump uses the fuel in the tank to keep it cool, so if it’s hot and you’re low on fuel you can cook your pump. Least that’s how it is for gassers, I assume it’s the same for diesels since the HPFP has to have something feeding it.
The Polar FIS has a fuel temperature gauge, I don't know where the sensor is.. but even with a very low tank I haven't seen temperatures rise much if at all.

Regularly run down to 50 miles remaining or less, never stop for fuel above 1/4 tank unless prepping for a long road trip.
12.63 gallons max so far, or about 700 miles on a very good day.

Also long for a more adequate tank like the MKIV has, we get 16 gallon fill ups in that regularly.
I've looked at the DEF tank and how it might be connected as an auxiliary fuel tank and filled by the same filler neck and it does look possible, when I have time... Or remove it and fabricate an aluminum tank that fits in place and could even be larger if desired.

bbfarmer

TDI
2015 GSW
On a trip I just took with almost all highway miles going 70-75mph, I got 601 miles to the tank. I refilled almost exactly when the miles left was zero, and I put in 12.8 gallons. This was not intentional

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk