How bad is this?

eberg

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Manual - 2000 Golf TDI, Manual
was changing oil on my Golf today and noticed some strange metal shavings in the engine bay.
Turns out that a damper? (I'm not sure what the proper term for this is)on the serpentine belt had broken lose and was rattling against the pulley. The shavings are from the pulley.
Please see pictures.
I'm nervous about the extent of this repair as it seems to me that the bracket that has broken appears to be a big piece that holds several components.
Feedback is greatly appreciated!

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u640/olsenjohanp/Mobile Uploads/20160328_142829_zpswd9e9rrq.jpg
http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u640/olsenjohanp/Mobile Uploads/20160328_141042_zpsiv75bekx.jpg

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
If you remove the belt and broken bits, you could drive it in a pinch if you need to drive to the store to buy parts, but you wont have alternator charging your battery or power steering. Strongly suggest not driving it. Battery would prob die in about 100 miles.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
i did this not long ago. it looks way worse than it is until you get into it. can prolly be done in under an hour by most folks.

you will not get 100 miles if you try to drive it without the belt. i got ~40mi, albeit in an automatic. the wife's serp belt shredded about 50 miles from home so she called me to drive it home because she couldnt steer.

all lights and dash went out at about 30mi and it made it 10 more before it just died. i swapped batteries and drove it rest of the way home. should be good to run to the parts store but don't press your luck too far.

surprised you didnt hear it rattling earlier, i didnt tighten that bolt all the way once and it rang and rattled like a crazed salvation army bell-ringer.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
i did this not long ago. it looks way worse than it is until you get into it. can prolly be done in under an hour by most folks.

you will not get 100 miles if you try to drive it without the belt. i got ~40mi, albeit in an automatic. the wife's serp belt shredded about 50 miles from home so she called me to drive it home because she couldnt steer.

all lights and dash went out at about 30mi and it made it 10 more before it just died. i swapped batteries and drove it rest of the way home. should be good to run to the parts store but don't press your luck too far.

surprised you didnt hear it rattling earlier, i didnt tighten that bolt all the way once and it rang and rattled like a crazed salvation army bell-ringer.
Mileage may vary. I got about 2.5 hours of driving with my manual at highway speeds. The only thing running were the DRLs. You can steer more easily as the car speeds up from a standstill, but it is harder obvs.

eberg

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Manual - 2000 Golf TDI, Manual
a big THANK YOU to "yatzee" and everyone else who posted information about how to get this fixed.
Picked the new part from the local parts store and all is well.
I will say that the job is fairly simple, but we made it way harder on ourselves by trying for a very long time to get it done without removing the side skirt underneath - we were a little unsure about how to remove it, but in the end frustration took over and we got it off pretty easy.